Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
riffmeister

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by riffmeister » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 am

chiral3 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 am
IMG_0008.jpg

These are 75% whole wheat. From last week. Got some good spring with the hard bolted wheat on the right. Both have the Castle Valley Mill flour
Wow! Great looking breads!! And thanks for the tip on Castle Valley Mill, I'll definitely look into it! I've been using organic unbleached wheat and malted barkey flour from King Arthur as the main flour component, and adding in some whole wheat or quinoa flour as the minor flour component. I'm a newbie so lots more experimenting to do!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 am

I just mess around too. I based those on the Tartine method. Check out the book if you don't know it. A guy on my team really got into breads recently. I suggested the five volume Modernist Bread books to him. They're really pricy, but he went and bought them and has been geeking out. Given your background you might find that interesting. I actually got my starter from the baker at La Colombe, and it's been alive and well for some time now. In The Modernist... they compare instant to starter and conclude that you get more air and gluten complexes with wild. I don't understand it all that well, the chemistry, but you'd probably get it on first read.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:49 pm

chiral3 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 am
I just mess around too. I based those on the Tartine method. Check out the book if you don't know it. A guy on my team really got into breads recently. I suggested the five volume Modernist Bread books to him. They're really pricy, but he went and bought them and has been geeking out. Given your background you might find that interesting. I actually got my starter from the baker at La Colombe, and it's been alive and well for some time now. In The Modernist... they compare instant to starter and conclude that you get more air and gluten complexes with wild. I don't understand it all that well, the chemistry, but you'd probably get it on first read.
Indeed, there is a lot of chemistry and biochemistry going on in bread making....I've barely dipped my toes in those waters.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm

I'd love to make my own bread. If I did, I'd have one recipe and stick to it (well, OK, if I were adventurous, maybe I'd have three - leavened, unleavened, and sourdough). 5 volumes of anything would make me give up before I started.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 pm
David Gutowski wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 am
Do you have any info on vegan Milk Thistle? They say it helps clean the liver and stabilizes blood sugar...just wondering if you did any research on it.

Thanks,
David
I don't mean to be rude, but some people would give up alcohol and sugar and drink water.

Googling is NOT RESEARCH - it's the intellectual equivalent of going to the Mineshaft.

"vegan milk thistle", as opposed to"
Regular mild thistle. Maybe there's only one kind of milk thistle. Plain water wouldn't clean your liver, but milk thistle does, at least that's what they say. Googling IS actually research because it will tie you into research articles, studies and books on the subject you're interested in. It's the modern day way to find out things quickly. You could of course visit the local library or college campus but in the end you would have the same or better results by researching on the computer...just sit in your comfortable chair at home and let your fingers to all the work...with thousands of sites and relevant information to chose from. Not familiar with the Mineshaft metaphor; are you referring to digging blindly vs. enlightened study?
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:09 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm
I'd love to make my own bread. If I did, I'd have one recipe and stick to it (well, OK, if I were adventurous, maybe I'd have three - leavened, unleavened, and sourdough). 5 volumes of anything would make me give up before I started.
riffmeister wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 am
chiral3 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 am
IMG_0008.jpg

These are 75% whole wheat. From last week. Got some good spring with the hard bolted wheat on the right. Both have the Castle Valley Mill flour
Wow! Great looking breads!! And thanks for the tip on Castle Valley Mill, I'll definitely look into it! I've been using organic unbleached wheat and malted barkey flour from King Arthur as the main flour component, and adding in some whole wheat or quinoa flour as the minor flour component. I'm a newbie so lots more experimenting to do!
I quit eating any type of bread about six months ago and it's done wonders. I have more energy, less anxiety, no problem with weight gain and sleep sounder. Don't really know why-didn't research it on Google or anything-just quit eating any type of bread or bread products-biscuits, flat bread, pancakes etc. Maybe it's my imagination, thinking all that bread churning and melting in my stomach and clogging up the gut and straining my digestive system is not good for you. Or, is an actual physical relief by not eating bread. I've been getting plenty of carbs and protein with vegan protein smoothies. I miss bread but have come to the conclusion you're much better off not eating any bread or bread products.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:09 am
I quit eating any type of bread about six months ago and it's done wonders. I have more energy, less anxiety, no problem with weight gain and sleep sounder. Don't really know why-didn't research it on Google or anything-just quit eating any type of bread or bread products-biscuits, flat bread, pancakes etc. Maybe it's my imagination, thinking all that bread churning and melting in my stomach and clogging up the gut and straining my digestive system is not good for you. Or, is an actual physical relief by not eating bread. I've been getting plenty of carbs and protein with vegan protein smoothies. I miss bread but have come to the conclusion I'm much better off not eating any bread or bread products.
I eat two slices of bread each morning, toasted, with a banana cut up on top. Simple, quick, inexpensive. My general thinking is to eat as healthy foods as possible (within reason) and in moderation (again, within reason, haha!). Lots of people have bad vibes with bread, and entire diets have been based on excluding all bread. Personally, I like bread (whole grain, not Wonder Bread!) and I think it can be a good source of carbs, protein, and fiber.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 am

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 pm
... and entire diets have been based on excluding all bread. Personally, I like bread (whole grain, not Wonder Bread!)
Probably not Julian Low Card either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDfF4hXfj4

Anyone who excludes this is probably doing a good thing.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 am

I want that bread for French polishing. Maybe some fret leveling.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 am
riffmeister wrote:
... and entire diets have been based on excluding all bread. Personally, I like bread (whole grain, not Wonder Bread!)

I wonder if that bread was made with "all purpose" flour?

(incredible!!!)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

That's another thing I hate (apart from all those books) - all those types of flour!

Quote from Petronius - "I prefer wholemeal bread - it doesn't make me cry when I do my business in the morning"
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 am

simonm wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 am
riffmeister wrote:

That's a little hard to believe. I think it probably is actually a sponge made to look like bread and he must have a complaint about his bread delivery or something. Did you notice when he was washing the bugs off his car the "bread" acted just like a sponge. Watch it in slow motion. There is no bread that can do that. But, I might be wrong. Wonder why he didn't take a bite out of it or get another slice from the package and show him eating it. Got to be a sponge made to look like bread.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 am

That's a little hard to believe. I think it probably is actually a sponge made to look like bread and he must have a complaint about his bread delivery or something. ...
I tend to think it is true. If it was fiction, the bread company would have had him in court in an instant. In the USA there is a foaming additive allowed on food that in Europe is banned not only in food and in food packaging but also in rubber mats such a yoga mats… A quick internet search should find it for you.

Edit … Azodicarbonamide is an example of a chemical used in the US but banned in Europe, not only in food but also in plastics.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 pm
David Gutowski wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 am

That's a little hard to believe. I think it probably is actually a sponge made to look like bread and he must have a complaint about his bread delivery or something. ...
I tend to think it is true. If it was fiction, the bread company would have had him in court in an instant. In the USA there is a foaming additive allowed on food that in Europe is banned not only in food and in food packaging but also in rubber mats such a yoga mats… A quick internet search should find it for you.
I find it had to believe that someone would go to that length for a joke / hoax. That box was filled with loaves. It's just too much production value. It's not a costless hoax, like getting people worked up over the Dihydrogen Monoxide in their tap water. If I had to apply Occam's Razor I'd have to say that it's real, especially given how insane the food industry has gotten.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 am

Look at the small top ends of the "slice" of bread...he squeezes the slice after cleaning off the bugs on his car and the ends are intact and squeeze out with the rest of the bread slice...no bread can do that-the ends would have separated...and only two "raisins" fell out of the slice. What is holding the other raisins in the slice. I think the raisins are the give away. He's hoping you will believe it is actually bread because of the raisins he planted in the sponge. Watch as he squeezes out the so called bread slice. Each time it goes right back to the original shape and goes back instantly. There is no balling up of the flower or any flower separating from the slice/sponge. It's a sponge cut like a slice of bread I'm sure of it...but good luck proving it.
Last edited by David Gutowski on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “The Café”