Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by simonm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm

APK wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 pm
… sources of protein….
Back in the 80's early 90's if the words vegetarian or vegan turned up, immediately the question was what about protein. From then until the last few years, I never heard anyone express concern again about protein. Very recently I have overheard the same kind of conversation again. Curious. Protein is pretty much in everything. Protein must top the list of things that a vegan or vegetarian does not need to pay the slightest bit of attention to. :-)

riffmeister wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:51 pm
…. deficiency in B12. ...
For vegans, but not so much lacto-vegetarians do need to keep this in mind. But the solution is easy. Beer! :-)

If you look at B12 (and other B vitamin supplements) you will find that the ultimate source of B's is yeast extract which in turn comes from brewers yeast or used to. Decades ago as a project I looked at selling an "iso-tonic health drink" with b-vitamins. Basically, water, sugar, salt and yeast extract with a fancy name. The b-complex extract is pricey per kilo but a kilo of the stuff is an enormous quantity at the dilutions we need.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 pm

simonm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm
If you look at B12 (and other B vitamin supplements) you will find that the ultimate source of B's is yeast extract which in turn comes from brewers yeast or used to. Decades ago as a project I looked at selling an "iso-tonic health drink" with b-vitamins. Basically, water, sugar, salt and yeast extract with a fancy name. The b-complex extract is pricey per kilo but a kilo of the stuff is an enormous quantity at the dilutions we need.
Mmmm. Beer. Me Likey! :D

Yes, just a few micrograms per day of B12 is all that's needed. Just a little dab will do ya! (expression from old TV ad)

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am

riffmeister wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 pm
And I like it. Good to change things up.
Still vegan? My wife and I are mostly vegan. There are so many other amazing Plant Based things to eat.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:28 am

Petemayo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 am
riffmeister wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 pm
And I like it. Good to change things up.
Still vegan? My wife and I are mostly vegan. There are so many other amazing Plant Based things to eat.
Yep. Nine months now, there's no going back! And loving it. Roasted root vegetable and lentil-barley soup season in full swing!

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, although I love salads and vegetables. I enjoy meat and seafood, and I don't find the health-based argument against carnivory at all compelling. Indeed, from an evolutionary biology perspective I believe eating meat is at the very core of what made us human.
However, what we do to animals in industrialised meat production sickens me, and having witnessed pig production and slaughter I will not touch pork ... never mind your crispy bacon. Pigs are as smart as your dog, and that is suffering on an epic scale whatever anyone says. Similarly I will not support battery chicken/egg production. What animal products I consume are either wild or ethically produced ... farmers markets etc. I eat less of it and pay more for it, but I'm comfortable with my approach.
Just my 2c.
Anyone else think Fakebook has done enough damage yet?

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:57 am

Contreras wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am
... and I don't find the health-based argument against carnivory at all compelling. (…) However, what we do to animals in industrialised meat production sickens me, and having witnessed pig production and slaughter I will not touch pork … ….
Probably mentioned this story before.

A school friend who was in the "intervention" dept of an agriculture ministry told me this story. Two of the vets who inspected/tested the meat being bought into intervention were vegetarians. Essentially for health reasons: antibiotics, illegal drugs etc … Their view was the stuff was too unhealthy to eat. It is fairly well know in farming areas (or urban legend) that farmers keep a couple of animals separate which are treated differently for their own consumption.

A friend who was bicycles said of mine "That's not a bike, its a bicycle shaped object". Maybe we can say the same about industrial meat: "That's not meat, it's a (poisonous?) meat like substance."

----------------------------------------
"Intervention" is the EU process for removing products from the market to keep up prices. It is then stored, sometimes for decades, (the freezer warehouses must be a great business) and eventually might end up as the centre of a scandal when decades old meat is found in the food chain again. The USA has an equivalent scheme. Butter mountains and wine lakes are products of the same subvention schemes.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:36 pm

I knew a woman in the Eighties who had gone through 4 or 5 different progressive dietary stages.
Each resulted, so she claimed, in a huge improvement in her life and health over the previous one; but, as far as I could see, it was psychosomatic - if stage 4 to stage 5 resulted in such a huge improvement, then all the improvements up to stage 4 can't have been so great, can they?

It's like the soap-powder adverts - "ordinary powders - grey : OMO - white."
Then years later - "classic OMO - grey : new super OMO white." Oops, they really didn't think that one through!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

mrdarcy

Post by mrdarcy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:45 pm

simonm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm
APK wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 pm
… sources of protein….
Back in the 80's early 90's if the words vegetarian or vegan turned up, immediately the question was what about protein. From then until the last few years, I never heard anyone express concern again about protein. Very recently I have overheard the same kind of conversation again. Curious. Protein is pretty much in everything. Protein must top the list of things that a vegan or vegetarian does not need to pay the slightest bit of attention to. :-)
Let's do the math:
Suggested protein intake for a sedentary person is 0.8g per kg of body weight or more. Carrots contain 0.9g protein per 100 g. Therefore, at a bodyweight of 80kg, I'll have to eat at least 7.1 kg in carrots to get my proteins. Now my tummy hurts! :roll:

Incidentally, 7.1 kg of calories also contain 2911 calories. That means that, in order to get my proteins, I would have to overeat by about 1000 kcal, gaining about a kilogram of bodyweight per week on carrots. Within a year, I'd be morbidly obese. :chaud:

Conclusion:
Whenever possible, avoid fat and carbs. Even then you'll get more than enough of those. Pay attention to proteins, deliberately seek protein-rich food.

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:54 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:28 am
Yep. Nine months now, there's no going back! And loving it. Roasted root vegetable and lentil-barley soup season in full swing!
Great! Keep it up.

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 pm

mrdarcy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Let's do the math:
Suggested protein intake for a sedentary person is 0.8g per kg of body weight or more. Carrots contain 0.9g protein per 100 g. Therefore, at a bodyweight of 80kg, I'll have to eat at least 7.1 kg in carrots to get my proteins. Now my tummy hurts! :roll:

Incidentally, 7.1 kg of calories also contain 2911 calories. That means that, in order to get my proteins, I would have to overeat by about 1000 kcal, gaining about a kilogram of bodyweight per week on carrots. Within a year, I'd be morbidly obese. :chaud:

Conclusion:
Whenever possible, avoid fat and carbs. Even then you'll get more than enough of those. Pay attention to proteins, deliberately seek protein-rich food.
Who eats nothing but carrots?
How about a few beans, whole grains and nuts? Not to mention Quinoa, peas and lentils.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm

mrdarcy wrote:

Therefore, at a bodyweight of 80kg, I'll have to eat at least 7.1 kg in carrots to get my proteins. Now my tummy hurts! :roll:
Whatever rocks your boat. :lol:

Depending on carrots for your proteins is not quite as absurd as depending on soft drinks for fibre, but pretty daft nonetheless.

Beans on toast would be more rational.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:13 pm

I've been largely vegan for awhile now, have considered going full vegan. Since I've transitioned to plant-based diet, I feel so much better—and have also lost right around 50 lbs, and have kept it off easily for a long while. I think the science for the vegan diet being the way to go is pretty convincing.
- Donnie

mrdarcy

Post by mrdarcy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:19 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:07 pm
mrdarcy wrote:

Therefore, at a bodyweight of 80kg, I'll have to eat at least 7.1 kg in carrots to get my proteins. Now my tummy hurts! :roll:
Whatever rocks your boat. :lol:

Depending on carrots for your proteins is not quite as absurd as depending on soft drinks for fibre
But my eyesight will be spectacular! :shock:

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:40 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:58 pm
I think it's fascinating that people equate vegan lifestyle as healthy.

There are plenty of vegan backed goods that defy on logic in sugar content and fat from oils.
This is true.

for health one must go Whole Food Plant Based, low sugar, saturated and trans fats.
I just got my blood numbers
Chol 107
Trig 103
HDL 37
LDL 49
A1c 5.8

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:42 pm

ashworth wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:13 pm
I've been largely vegan for awhile now, have considered going full vegan. Since I've transitioned to plant-based diet, I feel so much better—and have also lost right around 50 lbs, and have kept it off easily for a long while. I think the science for the vegan diet being the way to go is pretty convincing.
You might like:
https://nutritionfacts.org/

Return to “The Café”