Losing weight

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Scott Phillips

Losing weight

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am

Hello all, my name is Scott and I'm a fat guy. However, I'm not as fat as I was just a couple of years ago. At my heaviest I was 335lbs. That was just over two years ago. I am now at 271lbs and I continue to loose weight, bit by bit.

I seem to have hit a plateau, though, as I am only about one pound lighter than I was last month. Same situation the month before. I was losing about 3 to 5 pounds a month before. My doctor is happy to see me losing the weight, and he says that losing it gradually, like I am, is the only way to loose it and not gain it back. But, I am getting frustrated. I want to loose it faster. I can't exercise anymore than I am, and I'm not eating too much. I am diabetic and I eat a proper diet. I don't eat fast food (anymore). If I could just get below 270lbs, I think I would continue to loose weight. It just seems that I am hovering where I am at. Anybody else dealing with This? I am 6ft 1inch, by the way. My goal is to get down to 200 lbs.

riffmeister

Re: Losing weight

Post by riffmeister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 am

Of course this will seem like a radical idea to most, but I dropped 20 lbs (200 to 180) by going vegan. I eat freely, I am never hungry.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 am

Are you working with a registered dietitian? They can give you some guidance that will help.

Keep a food log if you are not doing that. Sometimes we feel we are not eating as much as we really are. When you write down absolutely everything going into your mouth, you may find you eat less.

Choose wet items over dry. Items with higher water content are more filling. Also they tend to have more fiber and give a feeling of being fuller. So choose an apple over dry crackers. Every time you have a choice, choose the items having the highest water content and the highest nutritional value. Little by little you will whittle away at it. During that time, you can reduce the meat portions...first, just cut a third off to eat at a later date. Replace the missing meat with an extra half serving of vegetables.
If you start with small steps, you can slowly accustom your body to the new regime. It then becomes a habit after a month or so.

Anything that you know you “shouldn’t “ eat will call to you... allow yourself to eat some, but a smaller portion than you usually would take.
It becomes a matter of slowly shrinking portions of less nutritious food and increasing the amount of nutritious food.

Eat slowly so your body has time to signal that you are full. If you finish your smaller portions and still feel hungry, wait 10 minutes...sometimes you find you don’t actually need more.

There has been a lot of research about gut bacteria and what it does for us. People who are slim have a greater diversity of gut bacteria than those who are “fat”. The bacterial “good guys” live on more fiber and things that take longer to break down. Cabbage, leeks and beans head up the list of gut bacteria friendly foods. So if you like Cole slaw or sour kraut, eat it more often. Use more leeks in your cooking. Not only are these foods nutritious and tasty, they will start to tip the balance toward a better diversity in your gut. That can affect your health in many ways. For some people, it has reduced the amount of insulin resistance they have and that has allowed them to control their blood sugar better.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:04 am

I’m a minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgeon and I did bariatric surgery for a bit. I started reading this thread to see if there was any way I could help but the above post by lagartija is outstanding and needs zero help.

Well done!

I would only add a few comments such as that the work you describe that you’ve already done to address your goal puts you on the far side of the bell shaped curve even now.

There are newly discovered and poorly understood hormone functions involved in the management of hunger, satiety, and the metabolic management of dietary intake. Instituting conscious control over this is incredibly difficult, as the forces opposing it are very strong. People who succeed in their efforts should be recognized as having accomplished something monumental and quite courageous.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:23 am

Scott, I've been a Type 2 for the last 2 years according to the numbers. My dietician advised me to avoid starches, white breads, and of course desserts....and to allow 45-60 carbs per meal, although I generally do fine with less. I've lost around 30 lbs over this time and dropped 2 pants sizes. One of the most important things for diabetics is exercise and you indicate you're doing that. Anyway I walk and as long as I do it consistently I can tell a difference. You probably already know all this. Maybe you need to ratchet up the intensity of your exercise, work harder instead of longer, and mix in intervals of high intensity. Good luck to you.
Ken

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 am

Thanks lagartija and Belly Doc. I am finally getting to see an endocrinologist next month, as I've been having trouble with my diabetes. I was almost going to have a gastric sleeve done. But decided against it, after seeing my wife gain back half the weight she lost after the first year post surgery. Of course she is placating herself with food. She eats almost as big of portions as she did before surgery. She has stretched her stomach out by doing this. Most of the time she doesn't cook for me, I cook for myself. I prefer to grill, whereas everything she fixes for herself is pan fried. She only cooks for the both of us about once a week.

I just decided that if I wanted to be at a healthy weight, it was up to me to modify my behavior as far as eating and exercising. And I have been successful for two years. I just am starting to slow down a little bit. I've cut red meat almost completely out of my diet, and I don't eat sweets or junk food anymore. It's taken two years for me to get this far and I'll be damned if I am going to fail. Although I want to meet the goal of 200lbs, I have set smaller attainable goals that I can reach faster. My goal is for 3lb loss every month, and it's just basically been the last two months that I have not reached 2 to 3 pound loss.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 am

khayes wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:23 am
Scott, I've been a Type 2 for the last 2 years according to the numbers. My dietician advised me to avoid starches, white breads, and of course desserts....and to allow 45-60 carbs per meal, although I generally do fine with less. I've lost around 30 lbs over this time and dropped 2 pants sizes. One of the most important things for diabetics is exercise and you indicate you're doing that. Anyway I walk and as long as I do it consistently I can tell a difference. You probably already know all this. Maybe you need to ratchet up the intensity of your exercise, work harder instead of longer, and mix in intervals of high intensity. Good luck to you.
Thanks Ken. My modification of diet is something that I am still working on. I'm trying to make small changes more often. I have dropped from a size 50 waist two years ago, to a size 42 now. I'm type 2 also. I walk for exercise, or ride a bike. Though I do admit that I don't like going out in the rain. I live in Oregon and it rains a lot.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 am

:bravo: you are doing great, Scott. You are motivated and heading in the right direction.

As for the exercise, if you drive somewhere, park your car in the furthest space from the door.
If you walk everyday, that is a great habit to have.

Avoid processed food as much as possible. Join a CSA farm. You’ll meet vegetables you never knew existed before! :lol:

As you can see from your wife’s experience, portion control is really important. Keep cooking your own meals of tasty nutritious food. You will get there. Kind of like learning a new piece of music, isn’t it? Sometimes we hit a plateau, but if we keep at it, we do finally get there.
:okok:
__/^^^^^o>

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:05 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 am
khayes wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:23 am
Thanks Ken. My modification of diet is something that I am still working on. I'm trying to make small changes more often. I have dropped from a size 50 waist two years ago, to a size 42 now. I'm type 2 also. I walk for exercise, or ride a bike. Though I do admit that I don't like going out in the rain. I live in Oregon and it rains a lot.
Hey you've lost over 60 lbs! That is an amazing accomplishment, so don't get discouraged. It's tough to always be thinking about your numbers and what you need to eat...it can wear you down mentally. I know what you mean about the weather...it's generally mild where I live but today I set out walking and the wind was fierce and I was not dressed to withstand the damp chill so I gave up after 10 minutes and went back home. Try again tomorrow. Hang tough.
Ken

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:54 am

Thanks for the encouragement Lagartija and Ken. I am going to treat myself to some Subway tomorrow after the dreaded colonoscopy. I haven't ate solid food for almost 3 days now. With all the veggies that will fit on it. Extra spinach and lots of olives. That is really the only fast food that I eat anymore, and it is a once a month or so treat. I love spinach, but can't eat too much of it as I'm on Warfarin.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am

Have you seen this thread? I'm doing Atkins and have dropped 40 pounds in 8 months. I'm shooting for about 170 or so lbs.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=111951&sid=a2a891b ... &start=195
Help!

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am

lagartija wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 am
There has been a lot of research about gut bacteria and what it does for us. People who are slim have a greater diversity of gut bacteria than those who are “fat”.
I have read two interesting things about this. One recent, one ages ago. The old one, the details of which I have forgotten, had someone doing a "diy" gastric flora "transplant" as the local medical professional would not help. I believe it was a mother and her adult daughter. Gist of it is ingesting some faces (via capsules like for medicine) from the health person to help cure whatever it was the ill person had. Seemed to work and it was not a site which was trying to sell you something.

The other more recent one was about small group (tribe) in either Mozambique or Madagascar who are still nomadic and as a result have a vastly varied diet. (I had a thread sometime ago about food source variety). The regularly ingest food from 200 sources as opposed to the western 10-20. The team doing the documentary tested the gut bacteria of their own team and within two day the fauna and flora had already increased measurably. This might be one of the the things that helps people who convert to a vegan diet.
riffmeister wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 am
Of course this will seem like a radical idea to most, but I dropped 20 lbs (200 to 180) by going vegan. I eat freely, I am never hungry.

Changing to such a diet means that the person explores a whole variety of foods that they might not have otherwise tried which may in turn promote a healthier gut population. I have never looked for any article that studies this so I am guessing. My only experience of a vegan diet is that my brother in law (also very obese) lost quite a bit of weight when he tried the diet but put it back when he stopped.
lagartija wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 am
As for the exercise, if you drive somewhere, park your car in the furthest space from the door.
If you walk everyday, that is a great habit to have...
Someone here said the best way to get exercise is to find a gym but don't join it: just walk there and back to it every day. I am very happy that we have plenty of stairs in our current home. Can't avoid at least some exercise.

The trick is a lifestyle change. Easy to say but difficult. Strange one-sided diets work for some people but the chances of the weight piling back on when you stop is very high.

Good luck with the continued efforts.
Last edited by simonm on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 am
... by going vegan. I eat freely, I am never hungry.
For anyone that is interested in vegan/vegetarian food this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91 ... 13368.html on a boat forum is quite interesting. It is already very long and unusually for that forum it hasn't digressed totally, especially as most members are very meat/fish oriented. We haven't tried any of them (although they look interesting) as we don't really follow any receipes except occasionally for inspiration. We look at receipes and say "hmm that might be nice" but in the end cook some variant of the same old, same old that we have been doing for decades. (slight exaggeration … ).

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:19 pm

It really is all about lifestyle change. If you eat a special restrictive temporary diet, you may lose weight initially. But if you can’t stand to eat that way for the rest of your life, the weight will return. Better to find the balanced diet/exercise combination that works for you on a permanent basis. Small step permanent changes leading to a healthier lifestyle will have a better chance of success.

Simon, I’ve read the studies about fecal transplant and about the tribal group’s seasonal foraging practices. They are both fascinating.
:-)

The original fecal transplant study was done on mice. There were slim mice and mice that were genetically engineered to be prone to obesity. They were given the same diet as the slim mice, but they were kept separate from the slim mice. Some of the obese mice, were inoculated with feces from the slim mice and lost lost weight when fed the same diet as the slim mice. Their gut diversity was greater than it was initially. When the obese mice were fed the equivalent of a junk food diet, they gained the weight back and their gut bacterial diversity dropped. Slim mice inoculated with the gut bacteria of obese mice gained weight. The food the mice ate had a large effect on bacterial diversity over time, but the fecal transplant jump started the process in the short term.
The tribal people’s gut bacteria diversity changed seasonally depending on what they were eating. In the summer, when they ate a lot of fruit and plant material, they had one set of flora. Then in the dry season, they hunted and ate more meat, roots and nuts which resulted in a different variety of gut flora.
The old phrase, “you are what you eat” has quite a bit of truth in it. The greater the variety in your diet the better it is for the health of you and your colonies of bacteria.

For those who are obese, there are many factors which will work to keep them in that state. Bellydoc mentioned some of the hormonal studies that show imbalances in certain signaling compounds or their receptors in obese people (like leptin and ghrehlin that signal hunger or satiety). What isn’t clear is why these are different in obese people. Is it the cause or is it the effect? Is it due to the lack of diversity of their gut bacteria? Is it genetic?

There was a study where they looked at countries where there was famine. Mothers who became pregnant in times of famine gave birth to children with “thrifty” metabolisms. Those children would be more prone to gaining weight in times of plenty, but would most likely thrive in times of famine. The reverse was also true; in times of plenty, women gave birth to children who would not store food as fat as efficiently as the children born into famine.

So if one is obese, you may be struggling against the metabolism set in the womb, the lack of diversity in your gut bacteria, the food you choose to eat or not eat, and the general tendency toward stasis in the body. This is why fast changes may be difficult. Someone who is obese and restricts their calories severely, may find that their body is convinced that it is a time of famine and it should be more thrifty. They may lose no weight but they are hungry all the time. The trick is to make the changes over a period of time so the body still responds as if this is a normal time of plenty. That is why your doctor recommended that slow and steady was the way to do it, Scott.
The fecal transplant, like bariatric surgery, only works if you change your eating patterns. If you get a fecal transplant and then eat the same way you did before, the diversity again will drop; you have to support the new diverse bacteria with the right food. The bariatric surgery helps give you a jump start, but as Scott’s wife’s experience shows, if you eat the way you did before, the weight will return and the measures taken will be for nought. :-|
__/^^^^^o>

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 pm

lagartija wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:19 pm
It really is all about lifestyle change. If you eat a special restrictive temporary diet, you may lose weight initially. But if you can’t stand to eat that way for the rest of your life, the weight will return. Better to find the balanced diet/exercise combination that works for you on a permanent basis. Small step permanent changes leading to a healthier lifestyle will have a better chance of success.
Yes! Tortoise and the hare kind of thing. Slow and steady. Set goals in small increments.

It sounds like the OP has been operating that way, which is a good thing. But maybe reaching 200 lbs is too much of a stretch? As long as his diet (food types, portion sizes) are reasonable and his exercise is age appropriate and consistent, then just stay the course. And it probably never hurts to exercise just a little bit more. ;) For example when driving to the grocery store (or wherever), intentionally take a parking space far away so you have to walk a little bit more. Medical treatments for diabetes and heart/blood conditions should be a matter of discussion with his health care professionals.

Good luck Laudiesdad69!!

Return to “The Café”