Losing weight

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Carlos Castilla

Re: Losing weight

Post by Carlos Castilla » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:47 pm

What about rice, isn't that all carbs? Asian diets consume probably 50 to 70% of their daily food intake in rice, yet you do not see a high percentage of over weight Asians. What gives?
Yes, but Asians (in the past) also eat other foods that help control their gliycemic levels and overall numbers such as fish, healthy oils, fermented foods,lots of vegetables etc... In China for example (again in the past) people tended to walk more and be more phisically active than people in the US where I live. They were also not as exposed to all the junk food we have here. Now they are, and obesity is an issue there as well.
Staufer 1830 Replica by Scot Tremblay
Andres Marvi 2015

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Carlos Castilla wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm
That article above is recommending ideal portions for people with diabetes. They recommend half of a banana so that the intake doesn't go over 15gms of carbs!
I read that page very differently. She says "one serving of fruit" should contain 15g of carbs and then gives examples of what would contain that amount. I skimmed the rest of the article and found nothing that suggested you should limit yourself to one portion of fruit. The European recommendations (for the general public not specifically diabetics) is a minimum of 5 and preferable 7 portions of fruit or veg per day. I have even seen some suggestions that the number should be upped to 10. (US/European portions are likely different).

Carlos Castilla

Post by Carlos Castilla » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:20 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm
Carlos Castilla wrote:
That article above is recommending ideal portions for people with diabetes. They recommend half of a banana so that the intake doesn't go over 15gms of carbs!
I read that page very differently. She says "one serving of fruit" should contain 15g of carbs and then gives examples of what would contain that amount. I skimmed the rest of the article and found nothing that suggested you should limit yourself to one portion of fruit. The European recommendations (for the general public not specifically diabetics) is a minimum of 5 and preferable 7 portions of fruit or veg per day. I have even seen some suggestions that the number should be upped to 10. (US/European portions are likely different).
Well, I don't do that to my body. I just eat the following fruits on a daily basis:
Small portion of blueberries
One avocado
No more than 3 slices of tomato
I eat other fruits very sporadically.

However I eat lots of vegetables, fish, nuts, and good fats.

I check my glucose once a week and my overall blood levels including cholesterol twice a year even though I am not a diabetic and my numbers are great in my early 40s. I dropped 100 lbs in 2 years. I now weight 170 lbs being 5'11 tall with a 9.7% BMI.
Other than teaching and playing the guitar for a living I spend time taking care of myself.
I was trying to help the person who started this thread to lose weight as I did and have seen many others do. Take my words with a grain of salt but I can tell you that I have walked the walk and done my homework on this. It is not the only way, but one that will guarantee to lose weight staying healthy without having to work out like an athlete. I highly recommend Ketogenic diet.
Staufer 1830 Replica by Scot Tremblay
Andres Marvi 2015

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Ok, I looked at her site. Besides a lot of pop ups asking me to donate by subscribing to the newsletter and her Patreon page, I only saw her interpretations of the latest news headlines about cell apoptosis and anti aging research. I noted that she sells supplements (which is a red flag to me of sales literature disguised as research). I also noted that she and her husband drink a daily smoothie that includes one of those dreaded bananas.
I read the Mayo Clinic article and I agree with Simon...I did not get the same message from the article that you did even reading the exact same words.

Carlos Castilla wrote:
Take a look at Dr. Rhonda Patrick's website and research. You will find there access to journals, essays and latest scholarship. Here is also a short article about fruit portions from the Mayo clinic:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... q-20057835

People eat bananas thinking they are good sources for potassium. Here are the macros of a banana:
Total Carbs 31 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 2 g
Potassium 0g

People eat 2 or 3 bananas plus other fruits a day even without working out thinking they are doing something for their health when in reality they just eating dessert.
Not suffering from diabetes doesn't mean that those foods are any better for you. It just means that our system can handle those foods better, nevertheless eating 2 bananas a day will contribute to make you fatter unless you are a marathon runner.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:02 am

Carlos Castilla wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Well, I don't do that to my body. I just eat the following fruits on a daily basis:
Small portion of blueberries
One avocado
No more than 3 slices of tomato
I eat other fruits very sporadically.

However I eat lots of vegetables, fish, nuts, and good fats.

I check my glucose once a week and my overall blood levels including cholesterol twice a year even though I am not a diabetic and my numbers are great in my early 40s. I dropped 100 lbs in 2 years. I now weight 170 lbs being 5'11 tall with a 9.7% BMI. …..
I was trying to help the person who started this thread to lose weight as I did and have seen many others do. ….
We agree on far more than we disagree on. :-)
From a food perspective, I make no real distinction between fruit and vegetables and view nuts as a really excellent source. I can't quibble with your list of healthy foods. Sounds excellent. Congratulations on you own weight loss - that is quite an achievement.

My own diet has always been relatively heavy on carbs (particularly wheat and oat products). If I reduced my carb intake I would be seriously worried about losing weigh uncontrollably. I would have to change my diet considerably to get calories - off-hand I would say that I would need to increase pulses, fats and maybe nuts.

My impression from when I used to visit the USA more frequently was that decent food in supermarkets was very expensive and relatively rare in any case. Bread in particular was either appalling (shouldn't even be rated as food) or was ultra mediocre and expensive. No wonder any one in the US who is concerned about diet considers carb bad. (Healthy eating there must be a massive challenge for anyone with a McJob salary.)

So double kudos to the you and the OP for managing to do something significant about your weight. The essentials are cut out junk, walk more and avoid the more extreme crackpot crash diets.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:25 pm

“Simon the Wise“ wrote:So double kudos to the you and the OP for managing to do something significant about your weight. The essentials are cut out junk, walk more and avoid the more extreme crackpot crash diets.
I totally agree with Simon.
:okok:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:45 pm

lagartija wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm
Ok, I looked at her site. Besides a lot of pop ups asking me to donate by subscribing to the newsletter and her Patreon page, I only saw her interpretations of the latest news headlines about cell apoptosis and anti aging research. I noted that she sells supplements (which is a red flag to me of sales literature disguised as research). I also noted that she and her husband drink a daily smoothie that includes one of those dreaded bananas.
I read the Mayo Clinic article and I agree with Simon...I did not get the same message from the article that you did even reading the exact same words.

Carlos Castilla wrote:
Take a look at Dr. Rhonda Patrick's website and research. You will find there access to journals, essays and latest scholarship. Here is also a short article about fruit portions from the Mayo clinic:

People eat bananas thinking they are good sources for potassium. Here are the macros of a banana:
Total Carbs 31 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 2 g
Potassium 0g

People eat 2 or 3 bananas plus other fruits a day even without working out thinking they are doing something for their health when in reality they just eating dessert.
Not suffering from diabetes doesn't mean that those foods are any better for you. It just means that our system can handle those foods better, nevertheless eating 2 bananas a day will contribute to make you fatter unless you are a marathon runner.
I agree - everything I've read encourages diabetics to eat fresh fruit of all kinds. I do and have not had trouble losing weight or controlling my blood sugar. And exercise - can't stress that enough and it does not have to be that much. Consistency is key.
Ken

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 pm

4 Zesty Vegan Meals

https://youtu.be/rFc_mJlTm3E

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 pm

i had same weight for 40 years and now it is down 8 pounds.. :)
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

razz

Post by razz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:06 am

You've lost 60+ pounds in 2 years. You have gone beyond remarkable.

I worked as a personal trainer and studied exercise physiology in graduate school. How much of your exercise involves strength or weight training?

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 am

None of it involves strength training. It’s basically just walking and riding bicycles. Although I did do some strength training when i first started. I couldn’t afford to keep the gym membership though. I tend to bicycle a lot when the weather is nicer, though. Not just using it for transportation, but spending serious time in the saddle, and going off on adventures.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 am

khayes wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:45 pm
lagartija wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Carlos Castilla wrote:

Total Carbs 31 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 2 g
Potassium 0g

I agree - everything I've read encourages diabetics to eat fresh fruit of all kinds. I do and have not had trouble losing weight or controlling my blood sugar. And exercise - can't stress that enough and it does not have to be that much. Consistency is key.
There are some fruits diabetics should eat very little of because of the high sugar content such as oranges, bananas and dates to mention a few... I would suggest you do some research on Maca root. Since I included Maca in my plant based smoothies everyday, I keep the weight down as well as blood sugar. I'm diabetic and Maca has really contributed to stabilizing my blood sugar without a lot of meds. I wrote an explanation on the forum yesterday concerning stored carbohydrates and simple/complex sugars and it's very easy to research. Bottom line, stay away from simple sugars. And I wonder how much our own personal emotions come into play when eating. I've read where people eat all the wrong things when they are upset or over excited or even lonely and not concentrating on what's being consumed. This is especially true of anorexics who develop a complex about eating and starve themselves to death because there're never satisfied with their body size or weigh. I once read an article concerning what garbage collectors (drivers) save or collect at the end of their runs. The gist of the article said they collect things there're interested in and let other, sometimes valuable, things go. Eating comes down to what we're conscious of or like even when we know it's not always good for us...just a thought.

David V. :casque:
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:36 am

David Gutowski wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 am
…. And I wonder how much our own personal emotions come into play when eating. I've read where people eat all the wrong things when they are upset or over excited or even lonely and not concentrating on what's being consumed. ….
Look at long distance truck drivers or salesmen of the kind who used to be referred to as "travellers" over here. Lots have huge bellies. Fat food, fatty or sugary snacks are a large part of the cause. Most of what they both do is so mind bogglingly boring they end up filling time by snacking. Sugar, fat and zero exercise.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 am

Carlos Castilla wrote:
Total Carbs 31 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 2 g
Potassium 0g
Where do these figure come from? Wikipedia gives 100 g of banana a calorie value of about 90 kcal, a total carbohydrate content of about 23 g and a potassium content of about 350 mg. Though Wikipedia cannot necessarily be regarded as an authoritative source these figures broadly correspond with those given on nutritional information sites.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

mrdarcy

Post by mrdarcy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 am

Hi Scott, you have done well so far!

Losing and maintaining weight is a skill to be gained and to exercise. One does not need willpower to get there, one has to have a habit and insight.

The golde rule is: if you take in less calories than you burn, you'll loose weight. Your body simply cannot generate more energy than it receives.

What keeps even people who understand this golden rule from losing weight are not hormones, sugars, genetics, fast food, gut bacteria, their peers or whatever else. It is their minds. People are really good at making up reasons to maintain their overeating habit. Once you understand the positive effects of a lower weight on your quality of life, and once you realize that by just following that golden rule you can be at any weight you want, there will be nothing keeping you back. Do not make your weight a part of your personality. Your body happens to have accumulated a fat surplus, which is literally a great burden akin to a heavy backpack, a burden you *have the power* to relieve yourself of. You have already proven it.

One can eat far below their maintenance and still receive more than enough nutrients to stay healthy and even build muscle. Right now you are at an obese weight and diabetic. The most immediate threat to you health is not malnutrition, it is your habit of overeating.

Instead of trying to exercise more, keep you current exercise level and focus on eating less. It is much more efficient for losing weight. It factually saves money and time.

People are very bad at estimating their food intake. Generally, thin people tend to overestimate, heavier people tend to underestimate. Get a food scale and an app for tracking your intake as precisely as possible. Make empirical observations of the effect of changes to your diet. Take both model and observatiosn into account. If your model ("i do not eat too much") does not match the observation ("I don't loose weight"), your model does not match reality and needs to be adjusted.

Asides from mind-tricks you play on yourself, there is no reason whatsoever to place your goal weight in the overweight range. Go for a BMI of 25 or lower.

Do not be afraid about your weight bouncing back. Right now, what you should be worried about is not loosing weight in the first place. Your goal is to loose weight. Don't let fear distract you from that.

Don't let people tell you have accomplished a near impossibility. You have done something which is clearly possible, and which you just have to keep doing.

Return to “The Café”