What makes up your hifi?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
edcat7

What makes up your hifi?

Post by edcat7 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Today I've finally upgraded my speakers to Tannoy Revolution XT6F.

Michell Gyrodec SE turntable /Audiomods V tone arm/ Ortofon Quintet bronze (mc)
Cyrus 7amp/ Cyrus psx-r
Cyrus 7 cd player/ Cyrus psx-r

Musical heaven. What makes up your hifi and why did you choose those component makes?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Leitmotiv

Re: What makes up your hifi?

Post by Leitmotiv » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I listen through B&W PM1 speakers, Naim 72 preamp (Naim Hi-Cap DM power supply), Naim 140 power amp, Michell Delphini phono stage (1 power supply: you can have seperate power for each channel), and a Linn Sondek turntable with Naim Armageddon power supply. The tonearm is a Naim
Aro with a Dynavector xx2 mark 2. I was there when Peter Swain built the Sondek at his shop Cymbiosis, in Leicester. It has taken about 20 years,
with 'many a winding turn', as the Tremeloes sang back in the day. I have about 800 LP's, and a Keith Monks record cleaning machine. Records are
better sounding after a 'good Monksings', as I heard someone say once lol.

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Jeffrey Wijnans
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:35 am

You guys own some serious stuff. I got a sonos play:5 for about a year now. Sounds quality is pretty good if you compare it to its competitors. love the flexible setup and for its size its pretty powerful.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 am

Source: HP Microserver (O/S Ubuntu Server) storing ripped CDs/downloads and running Logitech Media Server.
Streaming device: Logitech Squeezebox Touch, streaming stored files, BBC iPlayer, Spotify, Qobuz
Music selection interface: iPad with iPeng app
DAC and Pre-amp: Meridian G92
Power amp: Bryston 4B SST2
Speakers: PMC OB1i
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 am

Currently LP12/Audio Origami PU7/Koetsu Rosewood or Reimyo CDP777 CD player, Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) SL1 Ultimate preamp, CAT JL1 Signature monoblocs and either Martin Logan Theos or Sonus Faber Cremona loudspeakers.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Monitor Audio RX6 speakers and a Rythmik F12 sub. I'd have added a second sub but I'm confined to a small triangular room. The acoustics aren't great.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I am getting HAS. I sold my hifi components when I moved to my current place because I wasn't going to have a dedicated listening room and didn't want the clutter in the living room, but actually the acoustics in there are fantastic and I wish I had kept them, if only for a while.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm

I've got an original Arcam Solo playing into Monitor Audio Bronze BR5s. (Silver Anniversary bi-wired)
Before that I had a Yamaha mini system which was 99% as good as the Arcam and to which the speakers were well-matched.
The MA Silver BR6s may have been better for the Arcam.
I bought the Solo mainly for the the DAB FM.
I deeply regret it - it is a poor CD player. Even the eject button is not hard-wired, and its software takes up to 30 seconds to decide the tray is empty before opening it. And there are very few disc formats that it will play.
I use my BluRay player for those unusual disc formats.

I want to upgrade to B&W speakers (bookshelves+bass bin @ £500 each) and then a Cyrus amp and finally a Cyrus CD player.

But I have very strong views against audophilia, having been a consumer of What HiFi? since the 70s. There is a limit to how much you should spend, although a lot of the old-school audiophilia involved attempting to polish the turd that was vinyl.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm
I've got an original Arcam Solo playing into Monitor Audio Bronze BR5s. (Silver Anniversary bi-wired)
Before that I had a Yamaha mini system which was 99% as good as the Arcam and to which the speakers were well-matched.
The MA Silver BR6s may have been better for the Arcam.
I bought the Solo mainly for the the DAB FM.
I deeply regret it - it is a poor CD player. Even the eject button is not hard-wired, and its software takes up to 30 seconds to decide the tray is empty before opening it. And there are very few disc formats that it will play.
I use my BluRay player for those unusual disc formats.

I want to upgrade to B&W speakers (bookshelves+bass bin @ £500 each) and then a Cyrus amp and finally a Cyrus CD player.

But I have very strong views against audophilia, having been a consumer of What HiFi? since the 70s. There is a limit to how much you should spend, although a lot of the old-school audiophilia involved attempting to polish the turd that was vinyl.
I bought the Cyrus 7 amp new over sixteen years ago. I choose the brand mainly because of What Hifi's review and the fact it's easily upgradeable. The rest of my Cyrus gear was bought more recently second hand on the bay; the cd player in particular I got for a song.

I agree with you regarding What Hifi's reviews, it exists to make you dis-satisfied with your current excellent system. What has been awarded five stars one year will lose a star the next year. Once you have your "perfect" system you should stick with it.

I don't often use my cd player and I can't agree with you regarding vinyl. Vinyl sounds much more natural to me; even my budget Bush (<£50 5* award) turntable sounded great with a budget amp and speakers. I've always lusted over a Michell Gyrodec but didn't have the funds until after my mortgage had been paid off.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 am

I have had my "perfect" system for over 20 years years now and have only recently "updated" by migrating my record and CD collections to to flac lossless format on a hard-drive based high res audio player. I'm using the Sony HAP-S1, (which also contains the hard-drive,) for digital audio conversion. Speakers are old, but still good, B&W CDM-7SE powered (bi-amped) with two Arcam Alpha 9s. Should I need it, I also have an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player. All cabling is high end stuff by Tara Labs. My turntable is long gone after converting all my records to digital on CDs, using a Roland made DAC and Sound Forge audio studio. That was time consuming, but such a pleasurable compulsive undertaking.

This system has been my joy until becoming lackluster due to age related hearing loss. Fortunately, with great hearing aids, the auditory bliss has returned for listening - as well as, for classical guitar practice.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Well, I have a degree in industrial Electronics, so when my old junk stereo died, I designed and built my own.

My main amp is built around 2@ LM3886 chips. It is capable of 76W/side of pure audiophile sound if properly heat sinked and with adequate power supply. I built a 400W/side Power supply so not a single transient spike will be missed --> max headroom. I can drive it much harder if I'm willing to accept increasing distortion.

I also built a pair of D3s from the plans section on Parts Express with a heavily modified cross over using audiophile components and redesigned for a better frequency response curve. They are comprised of dual 8" treated paper cone woofers with a single silk dome tweeter. I painted them using faux granite spray paint and they resemble granite pillars. I call the combo Bubba and the Stoners.

The sound is flawless at any listening level imaginable. They system is massively linear down to 37 Hz. 3D spatial sound out of a 2-way pair. It's kind of astonishing. And best of all, I built Bubba's volume control to go to 11 ! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Hello all,

My set-up is rather simple :
—Jolida Music Van CD Player (with a built-in valve output stage)
— T-amp Indeed 7498e
—A pair of Magnat Quantum Edelstein speaker
Cables are Vovox Vocalis (RCA), Atlas hyper 2.0 (speakers) and Wireworld (power).

The overall sound is very good regarding the price of the gear. The tiny T-Amps and Class-D amps are really a major breakthrough for audiophiles on a budget, and you can have plenty amount of pure, clean power (2x160 w for the diminutive Indeed amp, not bigger that a double CD boxset...) for a ridiculously low price. FDA (full digital amplification) might be even better for those who like to stream the music from their computer.

As a "budget audiophile" for 10 years now, I must confess that big upgrades can be gained by carefully choosing the good interconnects for your system, because bad ones can litterally kill even the best system. Audiophile cables are not urban legends or snake oil and the best ones are not necesseraly expensive (Mogami is a cheap and excellence reference amongst professionnals).

just my 2 cents,

regards.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm just back into vinyl. Technics SL1210 mk2 turntable, Nagaoka MP110 cartridge, OnKYO amp powering Q audio speakers via Cambridge audio CP2 preamp. As I say, I just today finished setting this all up and have been listening to some discs this evening (La Mer-LSO with Vernon Handley and Karajan conducting Tchaikovsky Pathetique). I have to say that the move to CD was probably a mistake; the dynamic range on disc is amazing. The whole effect has more vibrancy and colour than digital. I'm a happy listener.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm
The sound is flawless at any listening level imaginable. They system is massively linear down to 37 Hz.
I am seriously impressed you built your own kit. Even more impressed you’ve surpassed the efforts (sometimes over decades) of some of the world’s best designers, since I’ve never heard any of them claim their sound was flawless. Might you have perhaps overstated things a bit? :wink:

I am also interested in what a ‘massively linear’ system is, and how you achieved this in room?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 pm
I have to say that the move to CD was probably a mistake; the dynamic range on disc is amazing. The whole effect has more vibrancy and colour than digital. I'm a happy listener.
Spot on, Denian. Add more beauty, more soul and just plain more connection to the listener.

Return to “The Café”