another priceless instrument destroyed-- Alitalia this time

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

another priceless instrument destroyed-- Alitalia this time

Post by dory » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:59 pm

Dory

petermc61

Re: another priceless instrument destroyed-- Alitalia this time

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am

I have little sympathy for people who ship instruments NOT in a flight case or a secondary box (the case in this example could easily had a cardboard box with polystyrene pellets custom built for less than $50.)

Secondly, I am not sure it is the failure of the airline each time these similar incidents get reported. Baggage handling systems (and employees) are the responsibility of airports not individual airlines who fly in/out of those terminals.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 am

That is very sad, but the wisdom (or lack thereof) in shipping the instrument like that, is highly questionable.

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 am

I'm with you Peter, I wouldnt check my instrument without a flight case, and would buy the insurance. I had one destroyed by an airlines once, that experience was one experience too many. After we landed and discovered the hole in the case and top of the guitar (it was in a hard case, not a flight case) and the agent cut me a check on the spot. These days, I will use a flight case, if I have to travel by plane, train, or bus. I mean surely these people are aware. But it is horrible none the less. Glad to hear it wasn't a guitar😆

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 pm

They must have excellent job education standards in baggage handling techniques at Alitalia in re: musical instruments. I can just imagine the Cretin who was responsible for this travesty. Sad. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:18 pm

I would normally agree with you all re the shipping, but I can't imagine what defect in their process would cause that much damage. Dings? Yes. Being dropped? Yes. That looks like it was put through something a hair less violent than a wood chipper. If I had to guess something moved in the cargo hold and crushed it.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Apparently the musician had flown with the instrument before, got special handling, and without a flight case. It was a ca 300- year-old viola da gamba... I reacted the same way, "what, no flight case?" but I wonder if she could have found one to fit, and I imagine a custom one would cost a whole lot. And it sure looks like that instrument was damaged by a lot more than a mere fall... bottom line, we shouldn't have to fear traveling with an instrument. I'm curious to know if they wouldn't let her buy a seat (to keep one for a person) or if no seat was available for the instrument? (It does have to be next to its owner at the window seat).
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 am

If airlines can transport pets in a cage without destroying the cage and the animal in it, they can also ship instruments in a case without destroying it. It is just a matter of wanting to do it or not. It is ridiculous that one would have to buy an extra seat for the instrument.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Based on the photo provided, do you think it would have survived damage even with a proper case? The damage appeared quite severe and would have been caused by a sharp, heavy object. In the past, I never had a problem traveling with my guitar and they would graciously allow it to be stored in the forward closet in 1st class as you enter the aircraft. But, the last time I traveled with it, I had a major confrontation with the airline stewardess who wanted it to be stored with the luggage and fortunately the captain intervened on my behalf. Unless you have a replaceable/inexpensive instrument, I would always pay for an extra seat. To assume it will be treated differently than any other piece of luggage is naive. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pm

astro64 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 am
If airlines can transport pets in a cage without destroying the cage and the animal in it, they can also ship instruments in a case without destroying it. It is just a matter of wanting to do it or not. It is ridiculous that one would have to buy an extra seat for the instrument.
Someone needs to make an animated case - with a little screen where the 'guitar' talks and moves around, and says to whoever approaches - including baggage handlers "Please sir, do not drop me or break me - I just want to keep singing!" :D
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm

"Priceless instrument" and "checked as baggage" are simply not two phrases that ought to be spoken in the same sentence. It is unfortunate that this happened, and of course it should not happen, airline staff should take better care, but sometimes they don't, and everybody knows that (or they should). If buying a seat for it was somehow not an option, then I'd bloody well pack the thing better! (Actually, if I owned such an instrument, I'd never let it out of my sight!)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Whoever is "guilty", a sad event it is. At least I trust the owner assuring to having inquired about special handling, and being assured to proceed this way. So somebody did something wrong, though travelling with such a priceless gem without special security measures might be calles a bit to lighthearted indeed...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:47 am

Shipping a valuable instrument always has risks and I'm surprised she didn't insure it or get a signed agreement from the airlines...she trusted a verbal promise with no recourse? Lessons learned.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 am

LOL...junky case.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am

Oh dear! Was it actually run over by a vehicle or is that just implied? If thats the case surely nothing short of a metal safe would have protected it!
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Return to “The Café”