Aging of your guitar-Player observations

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

Re: Aging of your guitar-Player observations

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:33 pm

quavers wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:27 pm

… I can say with some authority, that if a guitar did not have a "beautiful voice" form the onset, it is only likely to become marginally better - not a great deal of room for improvement.

….

If you search the forum and there are lots of threads about this, you will find that pretty much every maker and every player who has expressed an opion about guitars opening up agrees. If the guitar doesn't sound decent at the beginning, no amount of playing will make it a great guitar. There was one thread sometime in the last 18 months about a French guitar where the poster expressed some surprise that there was a dramatic change in the qualities of the guitar over a period of 6 months or year - sorry forgotten the details. That is about the only exception to the conventional wisdom that I remember being mentioned here.

RaajShinde wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm
…. though I did come across a device called ToneRite….
Loads of posts about this over the years. Putting "ToneRite" in the search box brings back 206 posts. Lots of reading for anyone interested.

quavers

Re: Aging of your guitar-Player observations

Post by quavers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:35 pm

I have read all sorts of replies to my original post. Thank you.

The thing that I was really very curious about, however, is to find someone out there that possibly conducted a test. That is taking a fairly new, good quality classical guitar, and recording its sounds at various intervals of months or perhaps years under the same conditions. i.e., using the same recording equipment, same musical pieces, same player, same temperature and humidity levels. I am curious if this has been tired and if whether or not the various recordings might me shared with the forum.

Return to “The Café”