Are you Mad at Windows 10 download speed

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RaajShinde

Re: Are you Mad at Windows 10 download speed

Post by RaajShinde » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 am

Love the Windows 10 "feature" of doing updates whenever it likes. Had a colleague that had his machine go into update mode just before an important presentation to a C-level audience, despite the fact that he had updates turned off! All my computing has been MacOS/Linux for many years, with the exception of one laptop for running astro-imaging stuff. I try not to "hate" anything but Windows comes close...

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 pm

In addition, raajShinde, I've got the stats from when it did the big update this month (I had been delaying it, in case others did it a long time ago): in addition to downloading 25GB, Microsoft uploaded 430MB!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm

With reference to the OP, not mad at the download speed but mad at Win 10 generally. I actually like it, but my installation was running various Windows processes all the time, using 50 % processor and up to 90% disk. After a period of wrestling with various "solutions" I realised that I had become an unpaid employee of MS trying to solve the problem.

Yesterday I installed Linux Mint and ditched MS altogether. I was anticipating a hard time but, so far, everything works faster, I have much more free space and am generally a happier bunny! :D (YMMV)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:18 pm

For the record, I'm pretty sure I've successfully disabled all the automatic updates, as I was regularly getting 100% disc read/write usage.

But I'll double-check: this time around MS was regularly trying and failing to do the biggie, and eventually I did it manually to shut it up.

Randy Johnson
Student of the online lessons

Post by Randy Johnson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm

if your mad at Windows now just wait until Microsoft goes with a subscription plan for Windows like they have for Office 365.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Stickyhead wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm
if your mad at Windows now just wait until Microsoft goes with a subscription plan for Windows like they have for Office 365.
I've already got my hard drive partitioned for linux

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:06 pm

There's the speed at which your internet provider sends data to your home and the speed at which your router/wifi sends that data to your computer either by wire or by wifi. There are downloadable apps in the Apple world that will tell you those speeds for your particular network. In the Windows world a Google search says:

Here is how it can be done.
Open the Settings app in Windows 10.
Go to Network & Internet -> Ethernet if you are using a wired connection. If your network adapter is wireless, go to Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi.
Click the link Change adapter properties: ...
Double click the adapter whose speed you need to know.

There are also You Tube videos on this subject.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:06 pm
There's the speed at which your internet provider sends data to your home and the speed at which your router/wifi sends that data to your computer either by wire or by wifi.
In the case I described, my husband’s Windows machine was plugged into the direct DSL line. When we tested the speed of the line, it was near zero for download. With his machine off and my MacBook using the WIFI, the speed was normal for download. That is when we found out about the “feature” that attempts to search for updates even when you have disabled them as much as possible. We have a very slow internet connection to start with because we live in a rural area and there is no competition. Having Windows 10 sucking up all the bandwidth with this update feature was unacceptable. No one in the house could access the Internet while that machine was on in that mode...not even the Windows machine itself could load a page! To me, that is atrocious software design. A program that assumes you have fiber optic connection or high data rate line and not just a phone line.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:42 pm

The many frustrations with Windows voiced here are the reason every employee in the small Cloud Computing consulting company that I work for gets a MacBook Pro - we simply cannot afford to have unreliable computers!

Cheers!
and acts without effort.
claiming nothing,

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 pm

I have read that if you are using Windows 10 Pro you can set it to notify you of available updates, leaving you to download and install them at a time of your choosing.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am

lagartija wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm
Having Windows 10 sucking up all the bandwidth with this update feature was unacceptable. No one in the house could access the Internet while that machine was on in that mode...not even the Windows machine itself could load a page! To me, that is atrocious software design. A program that assumes you have fiber optic connection or high data rate line and not just a phone line.
Everything you said applied to me. I got a phone line and the available bandwidth is low to begin with. You might try to turn on the metered connection.

Settings --> Network and Internet --> Change Connection Properties --> Set as Metered Connection (turn on)

This forces windows to conserve bandwidth. This worked a while for me. Went from 30 KBS or less to 150 KBS download. Then it quit working. Finally rewiring did the trick. They put on a filter on the outside phone box and did something at the phone outlet inside the house to get a better signal.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 am

JohnB wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 pm
I have read that if you are using Windows 10 Pro you can set it to notify you of available updates, leaving you to download and install them at a time of your choosing.
We had the computer set to do that ( it is running Pro), nevertheless it hogs the bandwidth if you don’t turn off the feature that allows it to look for updates at various sites. Turn off update delivery optimization.
__/^^^^^o>

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:50 am

meouzer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am
lagartija wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm
Having Windows 10 sucking up all the bandwidth with this update feature was unacceptable. No one in the house could access the Internet while that machine was on in that mode...not even the Windows machine itself could load a page! To me, that is atrocious software design. A program that assumes you have fiber optic connection or high data rate line and not just a phone line.
Everything you said applied to me. I got a phone line and the available bandwidth is low to begin with. You might try to turn on the metered connection.

Settings --> Network and Internet --> Change Connection Properties --> Set as Metered Connection (turn on)

This forces windows to conserve bandwidth. This worked a while for me. Went from 30 KBS or less to 150 KBS download. Then it quit working. Finally rewiring did the trick. They put on a filter on the outside phone box and did something at the phone outlet inside the house to get a better signal.
That did not work for us. Only the solution I stated in my previous post worked:
It is under advanced options, update delivery.
Turn *off* updates from more than one place. This thing searches the internet constantly and uses all the bandwidth even when not updating.
:roll:
__/^^^^^o>

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Linux...

windows...I don't know and I don't care. Better yet just tweak the computer and have a Hackintosh :)

One Mac machine for 1,000$ with the same power as the much more expensive Mac product.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 pm
Linux...

windows...I don't know and I don't care. Better yet just tweak the computer and have a Hackintosh :)

One Mac machine for 1,000$ with the same power as the much more expensive Mac product.
And also a violation of Apple's licensing!

Apple licenses MacOS to only run on Apple hardware. Running MacOS on non-Apple HW is illegal...

Cheers!
and acts without effort.
claiming nothing,

Return to “The Café”