Help me find a used car that's reliable and cheap?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
hpaulj

Re: Help me find a used car that's reliable and cheap?

Post by hpaulj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 am

I believe anything is allowed in `The Cafe` (as long as it isn't too controversial).

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 pm

I had a 2013 Kia Soul. It was the best car I've ever had. It even survived a tree falling on it during a winter storm. It was fully loaded. Leather interior. I had to let it go when my wife stopped working. Everybody thought it was cool, not ugly. Sirius radio was nice. Power everything. Sun roof. I miss that car.

dory

Post by dory » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:24 am

I don’t post in the French forum anymore because I had a post removed and got scolded for posting in the Cafe about a topic related to the French language rather than music. I got an irate message from the moderator saying “This has nothing to do with music.” I thought it was ok to post about anything in the Cafe as long as it wasn’t political or obscene. My post was neither. I miss the French forum but I am too intimidated to post again.
Dory

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 am

Here's a car that's reliable and cheap. :D
533240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:46 am

Although I've never driven in my life, maybe I can pretend I'm in glassy's situation. Four people here recommend Toyota and coincidentally I once read an article about offroad vehicles in Africa, and the Toyota land cruiser was considered the most reliable of any vehicle available.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:46 am
Although I've never driven in my life, maybe I can pretend I'm in glassy's situation. Four people here recommend Toyota and coincidentally I once read an article about offroad vehicles in Africa, and the Toyota land cruiser was considered the most reliable of any vehicle available.
Andrew, you are a lucky man! I feel like I live in my car.
Almost everything I do involves a drive.

Glassynails, For certain, Toyota offerings expand beyond sedans.
Tis the season to check out year end models for "bargains" and auto shows for new models.
----------
Next year, I will be following my own advice. Granted, it is a big decision these days with autos costing as much or more than the $40K we paid for our first home. My sister's first car, a Mustang in candy apple red with black vinyl top sold for $2500 off the showroom floor if memory serves correctly. What I need is a time machine! :D

It's all relative and very subjective of course. Good luck with the search, and let us know how it goes.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

dory

Post by dory » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Ok, another piece of praise for my Kia Soul. We are having our home renovated and have to move every single posession out for 3-4 months. We have done most of the moving outprselves with the exception of two guys and their pickup trucks who helped us. The guys were amazed at how many boxes we coukd get in our Kia. They said they had never seen a small car that could hold that much.
Dory

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Can you get Dacias over there ? Ours is one year old. It was cheap when new .Diesel engine. Today on a long uphill gradient doing 70 mph it ticked over at less than 2,000 revs and it does 83 miles per gallon . Basically a new design engine from Renault .

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:55 am

Hi everyone. I ended up getting a 2009 Forester. It's had new Head gaskets, timing belt, brakes, rotors, etc. Has 95k miles and I paid $8200 for it. Runs excellent but now I need a new driveshaft. Luckily it's still under 90 day drivetrain warranty.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 am

amezcua wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm
Can you get Dacias over there ? Ours is one year old. It was cheap when new .Diesel engine. Today on a long uphill gradient doing 70 mph it ticked over at less than 2,000 revs and it does 83 miles per gallon . Basically a new design engine from Renault .
I assume it is the 1.5dci engine? I bought a modus with that about 11 years ago. The only thing that you have to pay some attention are the timing belts. On mine it said 6 years or 120k km. I had them done at 70k km and about 7 years. Most people get the water pump changed at the same time as essentially the only difference in cost is the extra parts.

@Glassy, congratulations. Sounds good.

andries veldhuis

Post by andries veldhuis » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Dear glassynails,
My son lives in NJ, he has a Honda Fit and used it for commuting.
Reliable, very low fuel use and longer than you think.
Front seat needs attention when driving long, add a sturdy pillow.
In Europe not available, nice car.
Greetings, Andries

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 pm

I mentioned earlier that I was looking at the Fit because my old RAV4 was making noises (in cold lowspeed tight turns). But the transmission shop couldn't find anything wrong, and could only suggest new tires. So I decided to upgrade the radio! :) - from cassette to digital media.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:53 pm

hpaulj wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 pm
I mentioned earlier that I was looking at the Fit because my old RAV4 was making noises (in cold lowspeed tight turns). But the transmission shop couldn't find anything wrong, and could only suggest new tires. So I decided to upgrade the radio! :) - from cassette to digital media.
I'd suggest checking if the CV joints are the source of the noise during low speed tight turns.

Intune

Post by Intune » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm really surprised nobody's endorsed a Honda Civic yet, so let me be the first. It's got everything a Corolla has with respect to reliable, economic, and safe operation -- but is sexier than the dowdy Corolla and more fun to drive (ie., better acceleration). I've owned both. True, the cost of a used Civic is normally a bit higher than a used Corolla from the same year, perhaps because they're in greater demand (I'm guessing here, but seem to remember that from when I was shopping for both cars). I think a used Civic normally scores higher than a used Corolla in most every category looked at in the car-review magazines and websites. I eventually bought a 2008 Civic Coupe that hasn't given me a moment's worry in the five years I've owned it. Yes, many of the Civics (as well as other models) were recalled because of the highly publicized Takata airbag problem, but that was a one-time permanent fix that didn't affect the car's overall operation. With regular maintenance, my Civic should easily last 200K miles or more in its lifetime. Terrific car -- and in my opinion well worth the extra few bucks over a Corolla.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

dory

Post by dory » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm

My Ford C Max which is almost new has had 4 major repairs in 6 weeks. It stranded me once. We now have a loaner Ford because the $750 fuel door repair (the people at Kia almost fell on the floor laughing when they heard that one) which has 250 miles on it. The check engine light is already on in a brand new car. We are selling the car and getting a Kia because our previous Kias have been so reliable. I did look at a Prius which was nice but someone told us that the batteries on hybrids cause a lot of pollution. Is that true? I am seriously on the market for a new car now. Since I got stranded at choir in the Ford a week ago and had to be towed to the dealer I am seriously over that car. Ford roadside assistance is very helpful, and the people at our local Ford dealer are extremely nice and they have the best cookies I have eaten at a car dealer. Still I can think of other people Inwould rather have as my best friends. My feeling is that Ford has gone too heavily into high tech and the reliability does not yet match the technology. I feel burned and will probably buy a Kia because it is all I feel safe with at the moment but are there any US made cars that are reliable? Just out of curiosity. At the moment I really understand why Detroit is in trouble. By the way avfriend who is a shaman told me my father,s spirit is haunting his old possessions. I thought she was talking in symbols but after all these car repairs......
Dory

Return to “The Café”