Guitar under full sail?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
magie

Guitar under full sail?

Post by magie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 am

Spending cozy evenings on the sailing boat without a guitar?

I would like to keep one in the quarter berth during season ... but which one?
Just inland lake, no salt water ...

Any experience / suggestions which guitar will last longest ?
Best wishes from magie!

lagartija

Re: Guitar under full sail?

Post by lagartija » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I use my Gianinni aboard (plywood top, worth about $300 in today’s dollars, purchased in 1968 for $55).
I have not played going to weather under full sail...I think that is inadvisable. ;-)
I only play at anchor.

Our vessel is cruising the coast of Maine.
I put it in the V-berth because the cushioning is better.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 pm

How about a Blackbird Rider nylon string?
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Magie,
If you're in fresh water and excessive heat/cold are not an issue, you can take your concert guitar aboard with no problems. You must maintain proper humidity levels and avoid direct sunlight. However, if you plan to leave it aboard(bad idea), I would use an inexpensive laminate guitar as a "sacrificial lamb." But, if you're not living aboard, why not take your concert guitar everytime you sail? I have been a sailor for 30 years(both fresh and salt water) and have always had a guitar aboard my boat. I hope this helps. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:35 pm

There have been discussions about travel and camping guitars.

magie

Post by magie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm

lagartija wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm
I have not played going to weather under full sail...I think that is inadvisable. ;-).
May be an interesting version of the ' Water Music' or 'Gone with the wind' :lol:

I want to leave it on board. With two kids and a portable potty there is a whole lot of stuff to carry :lol:

Heat is an issue as well as humidity. So full plywood recommended?
That would mean the 25 € bargain might do well .. I doubt that I will like it ... :? ...

Any advice for a full plywood guitar that sounds like a solid top at least ? :roll:
Best wishes from magie!

magie

Post by magie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:08 pm

hpaulj wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:35 pm
There have been discussions about travel and camping guitars.
Thanks for the keyword 'camping'

I looked it up ... discussed is a choice from as high as Ramirez 1A down to plastic Ukulele ... :|
That doesn't help much ... :lol:

I guess my solid- top not-much-loved steel string's resistance could be tested first? 8)
Best wishes from magie!

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Depends as much on the sailing boat as the guitar. If you are going for a "sail" on "A" it pretty much doesn't matter what you bring for variety of reasons. If the boat monohull and a bit more plebeian 9m-12m then think about a yamaha guitalele or a ukelele. If it is larger or a catamaran then maybe a full sized guitar although the "portable potty" suggests you are talking about less than 9m. :-)

Guitaleles are great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-Gvqaq80I You will find plenty of music on them is you search. I had one with me for 4 weeks on a bavaria 36 some years ago - there was absolutely no room for anything bigger.

Patrick Burke built guitars on his boat: http://www.patrickburkeguitars.com/background.htm

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Aboard Dauphine, I take my 1980 Dauphin 30. Of course. Solid top. Indestructible. Nice sound and playability. She lives in the aft berth.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm sure that a low-end solid-top/laminated back and sides guitar with a thick lacquer finish would be fine (almost all cheaper guitars have thick finishes which is good for your purposes), maybe something in the 100-150 € range. I have one in that category that I take travelling everywhere, it certainly sounds good enough, and I never have to worry about it. Most music stores sell these -- just go try one, they're not that bad!

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm

My plywood Yamaha spends a lot of time on the sailboat, sometimes my Cordoba C7. At times I'll carry an inexpensive steel string for friends. I would never bring a good guitar (Kohno or Ramirez) on a boat! R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm
Depends as much on the sailing boat as the guitar. If you are doing for a "sail" on "A" it pretty much doesn't matter what you bring for variety of reasons. If the boat monohull and a bit more plebeian 9m-12m then think about a yamaha guitalele or a ukelele. If it is larger or a catamaran then maybe a full sized guitar although the "portable potty" suggests you are talking about less than 9m. :-)

Guitaleles are great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-Gvqaq80I You will find plenty of music on them is you search. I had one with me for 4 weeks on a bavaria 36 some years ago - there was absolutely no room for anything bigger.

Patrick Burke built guitars on his boat: http://www.patrickburkeguitars.com/background.htm

Simonm,
Did the English not translate well or did you call a 9-12 meter monohull sailboat "plebian?" Most quality sailboats in that size range in the States and Europe ,as well, sell between $80K-$400K new. Is that what you call "plebian?" Can the average "plebian" afford a boat in this price range let along the cost of maintenance, moorings and insurance? And you cruised on a Bavaria 36 and you only had room for a guitalele? I'm not certain you're a good source of information for this topic and most sailors, like myself, would heartily agree. I have logged over 18,000 nautical sea miles and have sailed extensively throughout Florida and the Caribbean. I lived aboard my boat for ten years. Your information, to me, is preposterous. Playing again . . . Rognvald www.dictionary.com/browse/plebeian Judge for yourself!
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:03 pm

9-12 meters? There'd hardly be room for my cook and cabin crew.

magie

Post by magie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm

:lol: :lol:

I like this discussion ... two worlds going down to heart of an individual, so controversial about the individual idea about what might be a 'must' or a 'no-go' ... now joint to a single level of discussion ... I love this, really :D

O.k. the sail boat in question is an almost 8 m long or short - depending on perspective - with large cockpit but relatively small down-to-basics cabin. The latter is dry but not airconditioned ... :wink: This is a nice sailboat optimized for regatta and not built for celebrity cocktail parties with live entertainment :lol:
Best wishes from magie!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:39 pm

For me the question is if you want to play for yourself only or if it must be loud enough so the other passengers can hear and enjoy your music.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Return to “The Café”