Guitar under full sail?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Intune

Re: Guitar under full sail?

Post by Intune » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:53 pm

While a guitar might be okay at anchor, you should consider singing hairy-chested chanties while underway, which is really the appropriate music for the occasion. Nothing like belting out "Blood Red Roses," "Hog-eyed Man," "Bound for South Australia," etc. etc. while you're beating to weather rail-under in a stiff breeze.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

montana

Post by montana » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

magie wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm
lagartija wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm
I have not played going to weather under full sail...I think that is inadvisable. ;-).
May be an interesting version of the ' Water Music' or 'Gone with the wind' :lol:

I want to leave it on board. With two kids and a portable potty there is a whole lot of stuff to carry :lol:

Heat is an issue as well as humidity. So full plywood recommended?
That would mean the 25 € bargain might do well .. I doubt that I will like it ... :? ...

Any advice for a full plywood guitar that sounds like a solid top at least ? :roll:
If you can fit the portable potty with a bolt on neck...youve just killed two birds with one stone! Sorry for the bird reference..just an expression

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm

There are NO issues with either temperature or humidity if you have a carbon fiber guitar, such as the Blackbird Rider, or an Emerald nylon string.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Intune wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:53 pm
While a guitar might be okay at anchor, you should consider singing hairy-chested chanties while underway, which is really the appropriate music for the occasion. Nothing like belting out "Blood Red Roses," "Hog-eyed Man," "Bound for South Australia," etc. etc. while you're beating to weather rail-under in a stiff breeze.
:grire:

I love it! Actually, what my husband and I sang under those conditions was Barrett’s Privateers by Stan Rogers. 😀

On a 36’ sloop, I carry my plywood Gianinni and play at anchor in the cockpit, knowing that the whole anchorage can hear. It is part of my performance practice. The Luthier guitar stays home. I do not leave my ‘boat guitar‘ aboard, but in its long life, it has seen worse as far as storage conditions go. Yes, it is yet one more thing to carry, but that is why they make dock carts and my guitar is in a padded gig bag with backpack straps. It is the first thing carried down from the car and the last thing to leave the boat.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Did the English not translate well or did you call a 9-12 meter monohull sailboat "plebian?"
Dear Rognvald
I think you might have misunderstood the reference to "A", a $300,000,000 superyacht. In comparison to that a £100,000 yacht is more ordinary.

My friend lived aboard a 40' yacht and had two modest guitars, one a cheap Alhambra if I remember correctly. They seemed to survive OK. I would be more worried about young children and bad weather causing an accident.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Intune

Post by Intune » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm

lagartija wrote:
Actually, what my husband and I sang under those conditions was Barrett’s Privateers by Stan Rogers.
Yup, "Barrett's Privateers" would certainly work in a blow...as would "Mary Ellen Carter," "Rollin' Down to Ol' Maui" and any number of Stan's great sea songs. Wish to hell I'd seen him perform while he was still with us....
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Intune wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm
lagartija wrote:
Actually, what my husband and I sang under those conditions was Barrett’s Privateers by Stan Rogers.
Yup, "Barrett's Privateers" would certainly work in a blow...as would "Mary Ellen Carter," "Rollin' Down to Ol' Maui" and any number of Stan's great sea songs. Wish to hell I'd seen Stan perform while he was still with us....
Yes, we’ve sung those too. Also Mary L. McKay by Schooner Fare. They have a number of great songs as well. Old Molasses Rum comes to mind...about a molasses flood in Boston that killed a number of people (true story!) during the rum making days.

We never saw Stan perform, but have all of his albums. We know all the lyrics by heart and it comes out in funny ways. When a vegetable for the evening’s dinner has not yet been chosen, one of us will start whistling the tune to “The Idiot”, the guy who leaves the verdant East Canada to go out West and work at a refinery .... oh the streets aren’t clean, and there’s nothing green....the hills are dirty brown. “Nothing green” being the thought communicated. :lol:
This is what almost 34 years of marriage looks like.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Lots of sailors aboard here at Delcamp! :titanic:
OK first, if the boat is tricked out for racing you should have no guitar, no head, no water, no beer, no stove, no cushions no extra weight of any kind. If you’re a serious racer that is.
And the mega yacht: why just a guitar? Bring the string quartet and the baby grand.

Of course you could multitask.
AC88AEAC-D318-4493-8AED-4FB918F9C3FE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 pm

OldPotter wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm
Did the English not translate well or did you call a 9-12 meter monohull sailboat "plebian?"
Dear Rognvald
I think you might have misunderstood the reference to "A", a $300,000,000 superyacht. In comparison to that a £100,000 yacht is more ordinary.

The tenders on A most like cost way more than 100K. Never seen "A" myself. Actually, it is big enough that maybe the tenders have tenders … :-)
Rognvald wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm
... And you cruised on a Bavaria 36 and you only had room for a guitalele? …
Five adults on a sailing school Bavaria 36 doesn't leave much space for personal gear. This very boat but not this particular trip or video. Notice the large amount of sail the boat is flying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDJbyP6sgfs

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm

The tenders on A most like cost way more than 100K. Never seen "A" myself. Actually, it is big enough that maybe the tenders have tenders
"A" was parked up here a couple of years ago, I'm not sure if they actually dropped an anchor or just told it to "stay". I vaguely remember that the tenders have waterline garages. When I first saw it, I thought it was a small warship, then a local ferry took us past on the way to another island. Still couldn't like the look.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 am

There … fixed for you. ;-)
OldPotter wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm
… When I first saw it, I thought it was a medium sized warship, ...

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 am

OldPotter wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm
Dear Rognvald
Kudos for such a tactful reaction to a rather rude post.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 am

Take the guitar you like the most and enjoy the ride, life is too short to worry about superficial bull.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 am

Just get a cheap Yamaha on e - b a y
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:57 am

magie wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm

O.k. the sail boat in question is almost 8 m long ... with large cockpit but relatively small down-to-basics cabin. ... optimized for regatta...
Doesn't sound like a promising home for your best guitar … :-)
But it does sound like it might be fun to sail.

Return to “The Café”