Any recorder players on here?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
LarryShone

Any recorder players on here?

Post by LarryShone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am

A couple of years ago I bought an Aulos soprano recorder, but I didn't really get on with it, found it too shrill. I then bought a tenor, and though I loved the sound I found it difficult to play-I should maybe have got one with keys or a knick neck, but I had to get what I could afford. Then I was given a Yamaha Alto, and I finally found an instrument I could get on with! Easy to finger, and a nice mellow sound. Of course its in a different key (F rather than C) but it is a fine sounding instrument, in the right hands!
I'm just trying to get into a practice routine with it at the moment after a break from playing any instrument (I just lost interest for a while. Even my clarinet got put away)

Anyway here is a short piece played on it, Londonderry Air. I am waiting for a tutor book to arrive but in the meantime I am just practising scales and playing pieces by ear.

https://youtu.be/i_mMBvtVF1E[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/i_mMBvtVF1E
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

ddray

Re: Any recorder players on here?

Post by ddray » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am

I have a soprano, alto and tenor and absolutely love the tenor. Get the Yamaha keyed tenor. At first the finger stretch can be frustrating but unless you have very small hands, after playing awhile you get used to it. I'm thinking about upgrading to maybe a wooden Moeck or Küng. A neat thing about the tenor is that it has pretty much the same range as the baroque oboe and flute, so you can look for scores that call for those instruments and give it a try. Of course the alto has an extensive repertoire of its own. Nice playing btw.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks Ddray. I did have a tenor but I sold it. I won't be getting any more instruments, I have far too many as it is. I bought myself an ocarina. Can't play it at all, different fingering and its ear piercing. Its staying in its box!
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm
Thanks Ddray. I did have a tenor but I sold it. I won't be getting any more instruments, I have far too many as it is. I bought myself an ocarina. Can't play it at all, different fingering and its ear piercing. Its staying in its box!
lol...well the alto's a good choice too. Telemann wrote loads for it and there are many Bach cantatas with obbligato parts for alto recorder. The recorder repertoire may be more extensive than guitar even. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ddray on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm

ddray wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm
LarryShone wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm
lol...well the alto's a good choice too. Telemann wrote loads for it and there are many Bach cantatas with obbligato parts for alto recorder.
Oh I do like Telemann. I feel that he is sadly under appreciated, overshadowed by Bach and Handel. His fantasias are incredible!
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm

So...do wooden recorders typically sound better than plastic; and do keys help? I'm thinking along the lines of a tenor recorder. Some wooden ones can be very pricey!!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm
So...do wooden recorders typically sound better than plastic; and do keys help? I'm thinking along the lines of a tenor recorder. Some wooden ones can be very pricey!!
Would you play a plastic guitar? No, you have a wooden one. Guitars can be cheap and pricey. A recorder is a musical instrument after all, even if terribly undervalued. Professional players have handmade instruments. Everything you know about musical instruments applies.

I actually mean it quite friendly. I had recorder lessons for years and still love that instrument. I just think it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm
Probably tho Ive never had the chance to try. I will say tho that an average priced plastic recorder would be a better buy than a cheap wooden one. My plastic Yamaha sells for about £40-I was given it by a friend in Switzerland. But a wooden one for that price would probably be nasty. The equivalent in wood would run to 3 figures.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm

I was browsing Chiff and Fipple--now that's a great name!--which is a site with a recorder section. Everyone there is a player. Several suggest that plastic recorders (for beginners) can sound just fine. Naturally I'd prefer wooden, but I know nothing about recorders despite playing a soprano for a few years decades ago. The keyed tenors 'look' fabulous. As it turns out there's a well regarded early music store about thirty traffic hell miles away from me in Mountain View. I may need to visit.

This could be a big mistake on my part so I may not want to lay out a lot of money at first.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm
I was browsing Chiff and Fipple--now that's a great name!--which is a site with a recorder section. Everyone there is a player. Several suggest that plastic recorders (for beginners) can sound just fine. Naturally I'd prefer wooden, but I know nothing about recorders despite playing a soprano for a few years decades ago. The keyed tenors 'look' fabulous. As it turns out there's a well regarded early music store about thirty traffic hell miles away from me in Mountain View. I may need to visit.

This could be a big mistake on my part so I may not want to lay out a lot of money at first.
Yes I'm a member of that site. I love the name, a reference to two traits of a duct flute. The fipple, being the block that creates the sound and the chiff, the less desirable sound that a recorder makes when its blown too hard, particularly prevalent in the bottom notes. I had a tenor, a keyless one by Aulos, but I couldn't get on with it and I sold it. As for wooden recorders, yes I'd like a wooden alto but there's no way I could afford, or justify, the price of one.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Why a duct?..as Groucho almost said.

(not an actual question).

so a chiff off the old block isn't desirable.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Over some years must have had around 10 recorders, mostly soprano, a few alto's and one tenor. Tenor was just too big a stretch for my small hands. I had a Moeck rottenburgh alto that was very good. The rest were the good Yamaha or Aulos plastic recorders - which are extremely good considering the price. You could easily go through all the grades with one of the better plastic recorders and not be ashamed, that's how good they are. The one downside is that they do tend to suffer from condensation problems more than a wooden recorder with a cedar block.
Could be wrong but this looks like a plastic soprano recorder to my eyes (she can play!), pity that it features a piano. :shock:

[media]https://youtu.be/sH70I_0Dv2Q[/media]

Here's a wooden alto, this time with a real keyboard instrument:

[media]https://youtu.be/EDrpMA6_rw4[/media]
Historicalguitars.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm

I got a good tip for dealing with condensation in plastic instruments. You take a weak solution of dish washing liquid and pour it onto the labium, and allow to dry. It forms a film on the surface which helps to repel moisture.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:42 pm

I know that tip, it definitely helps.
Historicalguitars.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm

I do similar when I'm shaving in the shower. Put soap on the mirror, stop it misting up
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Return to “The Café”