Any recorder players on here?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Any recorder players on here?

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 am

Well, I've been listening on the internet and I'm convinced that an alto recorder is for me! Just perfect in terms of not being too shrill like a soprano but easier to finger and with a tone I like better than a tenor. I see myself wandering through the redwoods playing one next summer, scaring the birds.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am

I've also found that with the bigger recorders it is quite possible to gliss. I have managed to gliss through most of the notes on my alto-not so easy with the bottom two mind ;)
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:01 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm
It is relatively easy to play (no blowing technique needed to get a basic tune, unlike flute and all reeds), it is inexpensive and effective.
This is the part of the problem which gave the instrument its bad reputation. You have to articulate, otherwise it becomes a signal whistle and sounds awful.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:16 am

Just to bring things back to this forum: recorder goes well with the classical guitar. In terms of volume it's not too overpowering.

[media]https://youtu.be/pFV-zW-dn9g[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/BmdIQ8ljp_c[/media]
Historicalguitars.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 pm
Is there an advantage to having keys (let's say on an alto)? Also: some recorders have two holes in the bottom two positions (one smaller than the other) and others have only one. Possibly for octaves? anyway, any advantages/disadvantages to either? Maybe I should post this on Chipper and Faff...chapper and fiff..whatever.

edit: Chiff and Fipple.
Jeffrey

When I had lessons, my tutor advised against keys on an Alto recorder. They can have issues, in particular that they leak air, which are a hassle to fix.

When it comes to double holes, in my understanding they are a feature. These are typically the two holes at the bottom. On an F-recorder, they help with respect to playing F# and G#.

Hope that helps
Joachim

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 pm

With all of these instruments, there are great similarities in fingering...
True enough. Once you start to play the recorder for awhile, in my case the tenor, and then you also try to learn baroque and modern flute, you start to get the idea that recorder fingering is pretty much the basis of all woodwind fingerings.
Bei einer andächtigen Musik ist allezeit Gott mit seiner Gnaden Gegenwart.
-- J. S. Bach

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Of course you can use alternate fingerings or deliberately lower the pitch which means you have to blow harder to correct the intonation - you have a touch of control over dynamics, bit more of an advanced technique. A good exercise is to try and obtain a long sustained note that doesn't waver in the slightest, almost like a continuous sine wave. That can be pretty difficult to do.
Historicalguitars.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 pm

I did have a tenor, keyless but it was a bit of a handful. But I couldn't afford the one with keys. The sound tho, fabulous. Another variety is one called the voice flute. Quite a rarity (there are no plastic ones that I know of), it sits between alto and tenor. It is like an alto but in D. A nice sounding instrument, very popular in early times.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

That Sarah Jeffrey on Team Recorder (videos referenced earlier) has a voice flute. It's quite a bit shorter than a true tenor,which seems nice. Her videos are very informative and she's charming.

I also found out that you can get recorders in the 'modern' tuning of A=440, but that's not standard so you need to ask before buying.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm
That Sarah Jeffrey on Team Recorder (videos referenced earlier) has a voice flute. It's quite a bit shorter than a true tenor,which seems nice. Her videos are very informative and she's charming.

I also found out that you can get recorders in the 'modern' tuning of A=440, but that's not standard so you need to ask before buying.
Pretty sure my plastic alto is A440. I'd have to test it...
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:42 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Pretty sure my plastic alto is A440. I'd have to test it...
I'd say that all plastic recorders are a=440.
-- J. S. Bach

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:53 pm

I practiced the recorder (I have 3: soprano, alto, tenor), and I played several years in consort and small sets of various instruments in my school of music where I taught guitar.
A real pleasure to change the instrument! .

I also practiced cello for about ten years.

It was also the pleasure of playing music with my children (and guitar, of course).
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:37 pm

I would love to play cello. But they are too big and more importantly too expensive
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:45 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 pm
Is there an advantage to having keys (let's say on an alto)? Also: some recorders have two holes in the bottom two positions (one smaller than the other) and others have only one. Possibly for octaves? anyway, any advantages/disadvantages to either? Maybe I should post this on Chipper and Faff...chapper and fiff..whatever.

edit: Chiff and Fipple.
Jeffrey

When I had lessons, my tutor advised against keys on an Alto recorder. They can have issues, in particular that they leak air, which are a hassle to fix.

When it comes to double holes, in my understanding they are a feature. These are typically the two holes at the bottom. On an F-recorder, they help with respect to playing F# and G#.

Hope that helps
Joachim
I play recorders too. Keys make extra noise.
Not good for recording

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:45 pm

I play recorders too. Keys make extra noise.
Not good for recording
That's like the (modern) oboe. It has a beautiful sound but I always find the click-clacking of the keys to be distracting. The C-C# keys on the Yamaha plastic tenor seem pretty quiet to me though.
-- J. S. Bach

Return to “The Café”