Any recorder players on here?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
AndreiKrylov

Re: Any recorder players on here?

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:02 pm

ddray wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:45 pm

I play recorders too. Keys make extra noise.
Not good for recording
That's like the (modern) oboe. It has a beautiful sound but I always find the click-clacking of the keys to be distracting. The C-C# keys on the Yamaha plastic tenor seem pretty quiet to me though.
When I record recorders (and I did it a lot) I just prefer to use ones without keys
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar at Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:03 pm

If I was buying a tenor now I would certainly get one with keys and maybe a knick neck
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:04 pm

The shop where I went was out of plastic altos. I ended up getting a soprano. I was surprised at the hand spread for even an alto--a reach for my pinky. I'm picking up the fingerings pretty quickly for the soprano; it's already a delight. the dogs in the park actually approach me when I'm playing! That's a surprise. My guitar teacher instructs an early music person. He thinks she may well have a slough of unused recorders laying about. I still want an alto. I'll go keyless Andrei!

Some people actually guffaw when I mention the recorder. Well, he who squeeks last...
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:03 pm
If I was buying a tenor now I would certainly get one with keys and maybe a knick neck
Yeah I was thinking of getting one of those Aulos keyless tenors but I wondered if 1) the stretch was really all that easier and 2) if shaving some size off might mean a poorer low register. I didn't want to spend $60 to find out :D
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:04 pm
Some people actually guffaw when I mention the recorder. Well, he who squeeks last...
It's unfortunate for the recorder that it's used so much in elementary schools to teach music. But anyway, pfffft. Let 'em laugh.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:21 pm

ddray wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 pm
Yeah I was thinking of getting one of those Aulos keyless tenors but I wondered if 1) the stretch was really all that easier and 2) if shaving some size off might mean a poorer low register. I didn't want to spend $60 to find out :D
I had an Aulos keyless but it was too much of a strain to play. I wish I could have afforded one with keys instead. And yes if you shaved some the size of it you would definitely affect the low register. Just remove the foot joint and try to play the lower note above the joint. It will sound sharp.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 pm

I am not sure what is meant by “shaving some size off”. If it means cutting of a bit at the end of the flute, that would destroy it. It is the equivalent to moving the bridge of a guitar closer to the sound hole. Obviously the frets would be in the wrong place. On the flute the holes would be in the wrong place. These are just basics of the physics of instruments. Flutes/pipes and strings have a lot in common.

Sorry if I misunderstood and gave an unwanted/unrequited lecture In physics.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Want to see some unusual recorders?

http://collectionsdumusee.philharmonied ... hratt.aspx
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:00 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 pm
I am not sure what is meant by “shaving some size off”. If it means cutting of a bit at the end of the flute, that would destroy it. ...
No, I was referring to the Aulos keyless tenor, which is just a tad shorter than keyed instruments. I was wondering if that has any effect on the sonority of the low notes.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Larry, are you sure those aren't bongs?

I'm getting good reviews from strangers in the park. "Rarely has an entire repertoire played without sharps or flats so enthralled dog walkers for four or five minutes at a time" El Cerrito Substandard Advertiser. "The Rose of Tralee especially sent one Dachsund into a merry sing along."

One person said, "the guy here last week played a drone. He was awful. You sound good!"

This may end up helping my awful performance anxiety with the guitar!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:13 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:21 pm
Larry, are you sure those aren't bongs?
Hmm 17th century bongs?
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 am

LarryShone wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Here are some more unusual looking recorders. I've seen a few in person, even tried the 'clappers' but never blown into one.
I suppose the largest of them must be the contra bass.

[media]https://youtu.be/JlOjcgwwAWo[/media]
Historicalguitars.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:12 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 am
LarryShone wrote:

Here are some more unusual looking recorders. I've seen a few in person, even tried the 'clappers' but never blown into one.

[media]https://youtu.be/JlOjcgwwAWo[/media]
Ah yes the Paetzolds. They are cool instruments, Sarah Jeffrey plays one. Very expensive.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 am

LarryShone wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:12 am
Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 am
LarryShone wrote:

Ah yes the Paetzolds. They are cool instruments, Sarah Jeffrey plays one. Very expensive.
Recorder ensembles (if they play well) always remind me of a pipe organ, which isn't surprising given what organ pipes are.
Like this. Doesn't this sound like a small pipe organ?
[media]https://youtu.be/aLEL9WcbGLU [/media]

LVR

Post by LVR » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 am

I hope this isn't off-topic, but if you would like to hear an amazing recorder player, check out Horacio Franco. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen/heard him live in concert.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:39 am

Ddray, yes, there is more than a bit of a pipe organ sound in that quartet's wonderful playing.

the earlier link on this thread to a three piece ensemble playing Bach showed how nice a recorder can sound when coupled with different instruments; maybe it's best in that format. Just like guitar.

My landlord said not to worry about practicing recorder when he's home. I haven't because I don't want to annoy him. But that means on work days I can't often practice! (I played in the park the last two days.) so tonight I played a couple of ten minute sessions with him upstairs. I'll see what he says. You can silence the recorder entirely with a piece of paper in the tongue but that's not very satisfying and tells me nothing about how the notes are sounding.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “The Café”