Any recorder players on here?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ddray

Re: Any recorder players on here?

Post by ddray » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:19 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:39 am
My landlord said not to worry about practicing recorder when he's home. I haven't because I don't want to annoy him. But that means on work days I can't often practice! (I played in the park the last two days.) so tonight I played a couple of ten minute sessions with him upstairs. I'll see what he says. You can silence the recorder entirely with a piece of paper in the tongue but that's not very satisfying and tells me nothing about how the notes are sounding.
Well just toot on brah :lol: IIRC you're playing a soprano. Yeah, that one does have a tendency to penetrate walls ;) But then they can all be pretty piercing when you hit that upper register, at least when a rank amateur like me does it. Good night, some of the noises...I'm going to get it though.
LVR wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 am
I hope this isn't off-topic, but if you would like to hear an amazing recorder player, check out Horacio Franco. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen/heard him live in concert.
Thanks for the info. I'll look for some of his performances.

LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Post by LarryShone » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 am

Yes I've always thought that recorders in the plural remind me of a fairground organ or calliope.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:48 am

Well this is pretty amazing!

https://youtu.be/xpdo8Xv8LfQ
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Yep it is but on u-tube you'll find that same bl**dy bumblebee buzzing out of every type of musical instrument!
Historicalguitars.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:52 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:53 pm
Yep it is but on u-tube you'll find that same bl**dy bumblebee buzzing out of every type of musical instrument!
That may be so but it takes some skill!
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 am

So I played in the park again today, and again was complimented by a stranger. Now, I'm not very good. So the take away, for those like me with performance anxiety related to the guitar, is that it doesn't take much to gladden an audience. I was thinking that the woman who eventually told me how good I sounded was sitting on a bench hating my being there playing. She was on the phone and I honestly thought that at one point she was telling her friend on the line just how bad I sounded. This just proves that I assume that people will be critical. Four days playing in the park, and it's not so!

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 am

I recently came across a German site devoted to the recorder with lots of interesting articles in both German and English:

http://www.windkanal.de

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 am

ddray wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 am
I recently came across a German site devoted to the recorder with lots of interesting articles in both German and English:

http://www.windkanal.de
Yes that is another interesting site. I didnt realise it was also in English tho (mind you, this new phone automatically translates sites anyway. Sometimes it can be fun...)
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Return to “The Café”