Calling Berlin....

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi, my wife and I are thinking of spending 4 or 5 days in Berlin, possibly early October.

Are there any Berliners on the forum who could give me a bit of advice? We're thinking of the Friedrichshain area. I've been looking at a hotel in Warschauer Str. as we'd like to stay in the East. Plus the hotels there are a bit more affordable than the city centre. Is it safe there? Is it easy to get around?I know it's a bit of a 'Hip and happening' type of place but there's plenty of bars and cafes and restaurants, and there's a tram stop right outside the hotel. Should I be looking at other areas? Are there any Luthiers nearby?

All suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

niclas
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by niclas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Cef,

I am from Germany, but not from Berlin. When I go to Berlin, I go to the "Jugendherberge am Wannsee". It has a good tram-connection to the city, it is nice place and also it is not far away from Potsdam, where you can find lovely castles and gardens. See link: http://www.jugendherbergen-berlin-brand ... 2/portraet

Regards,

Niclas

manythumbed
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:33 am
Location: Guildford, UK

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by manythumbed » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:20 pm

I am not a Berliner but it is well worth spending a whole day in Potsdam! If you visit Sanssouci don't forget to take a potato to put on Fredericks grave.

User avatar
George Crocket
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9278
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by George Crocket » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm

When my wife and I visited a couple of years ago we stayed in Potsdam for 5 or 6 days. Potsdam is an historic city worth visiting in its own right. It has plenty of the usual tourist facilities.

Transport into central Berlin is pretty straightforward, and many of the hotels provide a transport pass valid on trains, trams, etc for a number of days. Berlin was a great place to visit and when we go again we may well stay in Potsdam again.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

User avatar
Guitar-ded
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 am

Luthier Kris Barnett lives in Berlin and is a member here.
Contact him for the locals guide to Berlin. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some pointers.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

kris barnett
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by kris barnett » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 am

Hey Cef,

I think Friedrichshain is a great place to stay. My wife and I actually lived right off Warschauer. The public transport in this area is very good as the Trams, U-Bahn, and S-Bahn stations are all very close. It is centrally located and is definitely a "hip" place to be. Plenty of shops, clubs, bars, restaurants, and other interesting things to do. It is right by the Spree (river), Oberbaum Brücke, and the East Side Gallery (Berlin Wall Art) so you will always have interesting places to hang out. It is a bit gritty here though, so if you like to have a nice and clean environment, the West may be a better option (e.g. Schöneberg, Kudamm, etc.). It is not a dangerous place and I think you will feel safe wherever you go in Berlin. Friedrichshain is located near other cool areas like Kreuzberg, and Neukölln and is the next neighborhood east of Mitte (where a lot of the "touristy" stuff is).

My most important suggestion would be try to come a little earlier than October. The feeling of Berlin is heavily dependent on the weather and October is a rather unstable month, weather-wise. September or earlier would be a much different experience for you I think. People will still be outside, events will still be happening outdoors, bars/restaurants will have their windows/doors open, and people are generally much more active.

Also, there are EXCELLENT luthiers here! I think all of them would be open for a shop visit if you are interested. Mike Battel runs a wonderful classical guitar concert series in his gallery usually about once or twice per month. Luthiers directly in Berlin include Angela Waltner, Adrian Heinzelmann, Friederike Linscheid, Dennis Tolz, Michael Battel, and Christian Koehn. All are very nice, speak English, and are exceptionally talented.

Hope this is helpful : ) Let me know if you need more specific information. I am happy to help if I can.

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

niclas wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm
Hi Cef,

I am from Germany, but not from Berlin. When I go to Berlin, I go to the "Jugendherberge am Wannsee". It has a good tram-connection to the city, it is nice place and also it is not far away from Potsdam, where you can find lovely castles and gardens. See link: http://www.jugendherbergen-berlin-brand ... 2/portraet

Regards,

Niclas
Thank you so much, Niclas - I shall investigate this option. I have never heard of this area - sounds interesting.
Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 pm

manythumbed wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:20 pm
I am not a Berliner but it is well worth spending a whole day in Potsdam! If you visit Sanssouci don't forget to take a potato to put on Fredericks grave.
Thank you manythumbed - I have got to ask about the potato! Sounds fascinating.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm
When my wife and I visited a couple of years ago we stayed in Potsdam for 5 or 6 days. Potsdam is an historic city worth visiting in its own right. It has plenty of the usual tourist facilities.

Transport into central Berlin is pretty straightforward, and many of the hotels provide a transport pass valid on trains, trams, etc for a number of days. Berlin was a great place to visit and when we go again we may well stay in Potsdam again.
Thanks for the info, George. I've been told to visit Potsdam, but never considered it as a place to stay. I'll do some research. Thanks again.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 am
Luthier Kris Barnett lives in Berlin and is a member here.
Contact him for the locals guide to Berlin. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some pointers.
Great info Guitar-ded - Thank you.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 pm

kris barnett wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 am
Hey Cef,

I think Friedrichshain is a great place to stay. My wife and I actually lived right off Warschauer. The public transport in this area is very good as the Trams, U-Bahn, and S-Bahn stations are all very close. It is centrally located and is definitely a "hip" place to be. Plenty of shops, clubs, bars, restaurants, and other interesting things to do. It is right by the Spree (river), Oberbaum Brücke, and the East Side Gallery (Berlin Wall Art) so you will always have interesting places to hang out. It is a bit gritty here though, so if you like to have a nice and clean environment, the West may be a better option (e.g. Schöneberg, Kudamm, etc.). It is not a dangerous place and I think you will feel safe wherever you go in Berlin. Friedrichshain is located near other cool areas like Kreuzberg, and Neukölln and is the next neighborhood east of Mitte (where a lot of the "touristy" stuff is).

My most important suggestion would be try to come a little earlier than October. The feeling of Berlin is heavily dependent on the weather and October is a rather unstable month, weather-wise. September or earlier would be a much different experience for you I think. People will still be outside, events will still be happening outdoors, bars/restaurants will have their windows/doors open, and people are generally much more active.

Also, there are EXCELLENT luthiers here! I think all of them would be open for a shop visit if you are interested. Mike Battel runs a wonderful classical guitar concert series in his gallery usually about once or twice per month. Luthiers directly in Berlin include Angela Waltner, Adrian Heinzelmann, Friederike Linscheid, Dennis Tolz, Michael Battel, and Christian Koehn. All are very nice, speak English, and are exceptionally talented.

Hope this is helpful : ) Let me know if you need more specific information. I am happy to help if I can.
Brilliant! Thank you Kris. Nice to know you know the area so well. We don't mind gritty - it gives you the real 'feel' of a place and its people.
In fact, we prefer that to simply tourist-type areas to stay. Good tip about the time of year, too. Our wedding anniversary is the reason for the trip, that's why we picked October. There's no reason we couldn't bring the trip forward a month, or so. It'd be nice not to be cold and wet all of the time!

I didn't realise you were in Berlin - We'll could stop by and say hello, if that's convenient. Thanks for the offer of more help - I'm sure you'll regret that :shock:

Thanks again - Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

kris barnett
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by kris barnett » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:48 am

Hi Cef, sure thing! It would be great to meet you. Let me know if you need anything. Keep me posted 😊.

es335
Posts: 1304
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by es335 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

Hi Cef, moving a month forward will need very careful timing because there are some big fairs and other events taking place in September this year which will make hotel prices explode! Otherwise Berlin is almost a paradise in this aspect. Can’t remember any other capital with such a big variety of affordable and interesting accommodations and the public transport there is excellent, why one can reach any place from almost everywhere in reasonable time. S-Bahn, tramway, subway and busses form a dense grid which leaves nothing to desire. One of the numerous museums houses an interesting musical instrument exhibition, which you should put on your must visit list ... provided this complies with the main intention of your trip! Have a nice time, Berlin is really fascinating! Cheers es335

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by cefyn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 pm

es335 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am
Hi Cef, moving a month forward will need very careful timing because there are some big fairs and other events taking place in September this year which will make hotel prices explode! Otherwise Berlin is almost a paradise in this aspect. Can’t remember any other capital with such a big variety of affordable and interesting accommodations and the public transport there is excellent, why one can reach any place from almost everywhere in reasonable time. S-Bahn, tramway, subway and busses form a dense grid which leaves nothing to desire. One of the numerous museums houses an interesting musical instrument exhibition, which you should put on your must visit list ... provided this complies with the main intention of your trip! Have a nice time, Berlin is really fascinating! Cheers es335
Great info es335 - Thank you. I'll be sure to check my dates carefully before I book. Thanks for the info about the musical instrument exhibition, too
That sounds like a must-see for us.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

es335
Posts: 1304
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Calling Berlin....

Post by es335 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 pm

Below is a link to the fair events, where IFA and in particular Innotrans, the biggest Railway fair in the world, will have a strong impact on price and availability of accommodations ... and don’t forget the Berlin Marathon the weekend before Innotrans. :wink:

https://www.messe-berlin.de/en/Visitors/EventCalendar/

Return to “The Café”