Competing with traffic noise et al.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Kevin L Benbow

Competing with traffic noise et al.

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:52 am

Yesterday I played at the opening of a new art gallery in town. The owner wanted me to play in the parking lot adjacent to a busy street. Right across was an auto mechanic complete with an air wrench! :shock:

She said that she wanted me to be out front as people assembled under a large awning to await the ceremony. I really thought that this was a bad idea. The noise was horrible and the people would not even hear me.

Then the sound man showed up. :wink:

He positioned 5 extremely large speakers around the area where the people were to be seated. I am not sure I remember correctly, but I think he said he had 3000 watts of power. It may have been more.

I plugged in my lowly Kremona pick up and went to it.

My wife and loyal assistant had a look of surprise on her face as did I. From my vantage, I was covering the sound of the traffic. EVERYBODY could hear me, including the people across the street.

I truly enjoyed it. And the gallery is a wonderful new addition to the community.

Forget bracing. When you REALLY need sound go electric!
Note: This mind not for rent

kloeten

Re: Competing with traffic noise et al.

Post by kloeten » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am

Great story! Must feel good indeed to have so much 'power' in your hands. Would like to experience that one day.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Kevin,
Did you play "In A Gadda da Vida?" Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Well according to the Crossroads film, Muddy Waters invented electricity, so it stands to reason that you have invented it for the Classical Guitar community!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Return to “The Café”