Midi controller

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hany Hayek

Midi controller

Post by Hany Hayek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 am

I asked your advise about digital pianos in a previous post. The replies were great and I got lots of info.
I have since done a lot of researches viewed all my option and came out with a conclusion.
I will not be playing classical music. I already play classical on the violin, the mandolin and the guitar.
I cannot afford the Yamaha p45 right now and don't even have space for a full 88 keys.
I'll probably will not need more than 61 keys. 61 keys don't come weighted, so I decided to settle for semi weighted keys.
This narrowed my choice to go for the yamaha piaggero NP12. Well, yamaha in Egypt stopped getting these anymore.
I don't want to go for a regular keyboard like a yamaha psr e363. Seems the sound is not that good and the keys are not weighted at all
So I am seriously thinking of getting a midi controller.
I narrowed my options to:
M-Audio Key station ii 61 keys
Korg microkey 61
Both come with great software and I'll have all the piano sounds I need. Using my computer audio output, I can go as loud as I want to.
These two controllers get good reviews. I will not be using it as controller but simply as a tool to learn to play songs on a piano like instrument.
I still have to go and try out how the keys feel on these instruments. I really like the korg although it has smaller keys. But I have small hands
Both can be connected and played with an android mobile.

I would appreciate your advise and your experiences.

PeteJ

Re: Midi controller

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 am

If a controller plays well then you can't really go wrong imo. Personally I'd avoid small keys but some people like them.

prawnheed

Re: Midi controller

Post by prawnheed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm

I had an M-Audio Oxygen 61. It was very cheaply made, felt flimsy and it stopped working after a few months. I couldn't recommend it, but maybe the model you are looking at is better.

Return to “The Café”