Midi controller

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hany Hayek

Midi controller

Post by Hany Hayek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 am

I asked your advise about digital pianos in a previous post. The replies were great and I got lots of info.
I have since done a lot of researches viewed all my option and came out with a conclusion.
I will not be playing classical music. I already play classical on the violin, the mandolin and the guitar.
I cannot afford the Yamaha p45 right now and don't even have space for a full 88 keys.
I'll probably will not need more than 61 keys. 61 keys don't come weighted, so I decided to settle for semi weighted keys.
This narrowed my choice to go for the yamaha piaggero NP12. Well, yamaha in Egypt stopped getting these anymore.
I don't want to go for a regular keyboard like a yamaha psr e363. Seems the sound is not that good and the keys are not weighted at all
So I am seriously thinking of getting a midi controller.
I narrowed my options to:
M-Audio Key station ii 61 keys
Korg microkey 61
Both come with great software and I'll have all the piano sounds I need. Using my computer audio output, I can go as loud as I want to.
These two controllers get good reviews. I will not be using it as controller but simply as a tool to learn to play songs on a piano like instrument.
I still have to go and try out how the keys feel on these instruments. I really like the korg although it has smaller keys. But I have small hands
Both can be connected and played with an android mobile.

I would appreciate your advise and your experiences.

PeteJ

Re: Midi controller

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 am

If a controller plays well then you can't really go wrong imo. Personally I'd avoid small keys but some people like them.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm

I had an M-Audio Oxygen 61. It was very cheaply made, felt flimsy and it stopped working after a few months. I couldn't recommend it, but maybe the model you are looking at is better.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 am

Here is my feed back in case someone decides to go for a midi controller. I'll try to make it as short as possible.
I got my self the Korg microkey2 61. The keys size is small but since I didn't play piano before they are just fine for me. I have regular hands. rather small than big. They are semi-weighted as advertised and to me have a greet feeling and definitely do not look or feel cheap.
The korg bundle that comes with it is useless at least for me. The Korg M1 Le has only 2 acoustic piano voices that are probably not sampled.
I downloaded a free DAW - MU-lab - it has a low CPU usage, it's free and accepts vst plugins.
I previously tried lmms by linux, it has a high CPU usage and will hang while playing.
I use the DAW for the Piano VST plugins available out there. I downloaded a few free VST piano plugins. Keyzone and 4front piano have realistic piano sounds and are light on cpu.
If you feel that your keyboard is not responding correctly. it's not the keyboard, it will be the DAW or the plugin that are using too much CPU.
for example 4front (that is a very light), if you use the metronome with it, you'll feel your keyboard slowing on the response.
That's probably because I only have 2 GB ram of memory.
Just as a note, if you download a daw or a standalone vst, you might face a sound problem on your windows. Just download the driver software from site.
I am now finally learning to play the piano, using Alfred's adult method and I am quite satisfied with the outcome.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 am

Redundant post deleted.

Return to “The Café”