Nice pieces that aren’t over in the blink of an eye!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Whiteagle

Nice pieces that aren’t over in the blink of an eye!

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:58 am

I am preparing to play at an outdoor event (40 minutes) and I decided to time how long the pieces I would play run for and I was surprised at how quick many of them are, often 1 - 2 minutes even with repeats. My wife even commented she just started to get into that piece and it finished. I am playing material at the beginner to intermediate level.

I am interested is suggestions from forum members about pieces at the beginner to intermediate level that go for 3 minutes or more. Recommendations relating to any style of music are fine. I like to play a variety of music as many people enjoy contemporary songs arranged for guitar more than classical music.

robin loops

Re: Nice pieces that aren’t over in the blink of an eye!

Post by robin loops » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 am

Repeats can be helpful in those situations. Make longer arrangements by adding repeats.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 am

Brouwer’s Un Dia de Noviembre, maybe? At a relaxed easy pace you can get a good 4-1/2 to 5 minutes out of it. Not a beginners piece but not overwhelming. 1st part is mostly chords, 2nd section is more challenging but far from impossible, so long as you have some time to work through it. Very nice modern piece that should go over well in such a setting.
Last edited by ameriken on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am

I've recently been introduced to some of Reis's pieces and Se Ela Preguntar is nice and is the 4 min mark. I think it's one of his more well-known pieces but I have some sheet music of his other pieces but haven't heard them but they all go over 3 or more pages so they 'might' be of reasonable length.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 am

Try putting together a set that has some kind of theme or coherence and which tells some kind of story Individual pieces may be relatively short, but a sensible combination of pieces creates a continuity that makes a set feel less disjointed.

For example: Play an entire Suite (or more than one piece from a suite), play a series of pieces from a single composer that show a development in his style or a story from his life, play a series of Tangos from different composers, a collection of different pieces with a connection to the weather, .... etc.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am
I've recently been introduced to some of Reis's pieces and Se Ela Preguntar is nice and is the 4 min mark. I think it's one of his more well-known pieces but I have some sheet music of his other pieces but haven't heard them but they all go over 3 or more pages so they 'might' be of reasonable length.
Yes this is a very nice piece, Its listed as a grade 8 piece on the australian syllabus so it must be challenging to play.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:26 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 am
Try putting together a set that has some kind of theme or coherence and which tells some kind of story Individual pieces may be relatively short, but a sensible combination of pieces creates a continuity that makes a set feel less disjointed.

For example: Play an entire Suite (or more than one piece from a suite), play a series of pieces from a single composer that show a development in his style or a story from his life, play a series of Tangos from different composers, a collection of different pieces with a connection to the weather, .... etc.
Thanks for this suggestion. Since posting my question I have been thinking along these lines, connecting pieces to make the program seem more choherent.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Along the lines of suites. Narcisco Yepes has a compilation of Gaspar Sans pieces called suite española. Almost 20 minutes to play them all (lots of places to add repeats too) and most are quite simple with a few slightly more difficult to make the whole thing sound more advanced than it is. It's also full of slurs, trills, mordents, etc. and serves as a great study of ornamentation.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

patsorenson

Post by patsorenson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Another thing you could do, if you want to intersperse popular tunes into the mix, is take a couple of folk tunes in the same key and make a medley of them,- things like The Water is Wide, Be Thou my Vision, Wild Mountain Thyme, Amazing Grace, all in drop-D tuning key of D. You could play 3 or 4 tunes back to back, or take 2 and do an A-B-A form to stretch things out a bit.
2017 New World Player 628 spruce

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:10 am

The Bill Tyer guitar down under website has great material for "filler". The arrangements are almost sight-readable, can be mastered in a reasonable amount of time, and delight the audience by scoring high on the recognizability scale.

Short can be a good thing when the venue is not one for concerts or recitals. There is no telling what you may face in the way of noise, interruptions etc. at an outdoor event. The segmented programming can work out to be a blessing in disguise. Enjoy!

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:58 am
I am preparing to play at an outdoor event (40 minutes) and I decided to time how long the pieces I would play run for and I was surprised at how quick many of them are, often 1 - 2 minutes even with repeats. My wife even commented she just started to get into that piece and it finished. I am playing material at the beginner to intermediate level.

I am interested is suggestions from forum members about pieces at the beginner to intermediate level that go for 3 minutes or more. Recommendations relating to any style of music are fine. I like to play a variety of music as many people enjoy contemporary songs arranged for guitar more than classical music.
Depending on you, 1-2 min might not be bad. You get more breaks between the pieces to e.g. refocus.

A selection of SOR studies comes to my mind as a suggestion. They come at various levels. All the big guys e.g. Segovia, Yepes played (some of) them.

Sorry, I am not so versed in contemporary music

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 am

patsorenson wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Another thing you could do, if you want to intersperse popular tunes into the mix, is take a couple of folk tunes in the same key and make a medley of them,- things like The Water is Wide, Be Thou my Vision, Wild Mountain Thyme, Amazing Grace, all in drop-D tuning key of D. You could play 3 or 4 tunes back to back, or take 2 and do an A-B-A form to stretch things out a bit.
I like this idea. Any suggestions about where I would find these arrangements. I have a nice wild mountain thyme arrangement but havent learnt it but would like to.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 am

CathyCate wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:10 am
The Bill Tyer guitar down under website has great material for "filler". The arrangements are almost sight-readable, can be mastered in a reasonable amount of time, and delight the audience by scoring high on the recognizability scale.

Short can be a good thing when the venue is not one for concerts or recitals. There is no telling what you may face in the way of noise, interruptions etc. at an outdoor event. The segmented programming can work out to be a blessing in disguise. Enjoy!
Hi, thanks for the tip. Just been looking at the site and been sight reading norweigen wood. Looks promising.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am

What I would do, would be to extend the duration of some simple e minor ballads, for example tarregas etude in e minor. You can experiment and add some variation of your own, like replay a section with different right hand; tremolo ( if you can do it ) or play the full chords (p, i, m, a) with the bass only played at the strong part of each measure.

Another idea, a couple of those (or other) songs if played at the beginning, could also be repeated towards the end of your performance.

Good luck ! :)
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Panagi Brothers 1970
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:36 am

robin loops wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm
Along the lines of suites. Narcisco Yepes has a compilation of Gaspar Sans pieces called suite española. Almost 20 minutes to play them all (lots of places to add repeats too) and most are quite simple with a few slightly more difficult to make the whole thing sound more advanced than it is. It's also full of slurs, trills, mordents, etc. and serves as a great study of ornamentation.
Just found a free 6 page music from this suite. Will give it a try

Return to “The Café”