Mars Scenic Overlook

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
gitgeezer

Mars Scenic Overlook

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 pm

For an impressive video of the route of the Curiosity rover as if viewed from a scenic overlook, click on the image below, select the video (second image), and go to full screen.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... ic-journey

amezcua

Re: Mars Scenic Overlook

Post by amezcua » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 pm

I have just been reading the Physics site about going to Mars.
The thin atmosphere would make slowing the lander with humans on board especially difficult and any parachute would need to be as big as the Rosebowl Stadium , 300 metres diameter. Now that`s a beautiful idea in itself .

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Very interesting video, Git! Mars is one of the planets that scientists believe once held life and perhaps, still holds life beneath its surface today. It looks very much like our own deserts in the SW United States. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 pm

It looks very much like our own deserts in the SW United States
It reminds me of the drive to Mammoth on highway 395.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Nice.

Looks like Nevada.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 pm

You might not see much scenery on Mars as the radiation level from the Sun is 100 times what it is on Earth . The Mars atmosphere has no magnetosphere . So you would have to live underground. Hey , maybe they do already . So you can only come out 3.65 days a year to be safe . Tiny windmills will power the lights during a bad storm . Big windmills will be smashed to bits .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Did anyone see the reality tv programme where they got a team of people to go into space but it was all fake and they were fooled intp believing the gravity was engineered to be the same in orbit. ?They had little scientific knowledge and were totally taken in by it . That deserves a rerun . All of it took place without lifting off the ground .

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm

amezcua wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 pm
Did anyone see the reality tv programme where they got a team of people to go into space but it was all fake and they were fooled intp believing the gravity was engineered to be the same in orbit. ?They had little scientific knowledge and were totally taken in by it . That deserves a rerun . All of it took place without lifting off the ground .
The force of gravity in orbit is about the same as it is on Earth's surface. The International Space Station in orbit experiences about 90% of the gravity it would experience on Earth. So why the experience of weightlessness? Because the station and the astronauts inside it are falling. Falling produces an experience of weightlessness, as in the famous "vomit comet," an aircraft that produces brief periods of weightlessness for astronauts in training by diving. So the reality show was trying to convince the participants that the experience of falling was cancelled?

If the station is falling, why doesn't it fall to earth? Because its lateral velocity ensures that it continuously misses earth. Falling + lateral velocity = orbit. Without the strong gravity it experiences, the station's lateral velocity would take it off into deep space.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm

An key piece of evidence for water on Mars has been reinterpreted. The streaks down the sides of Martian sand dunes that appear in the Martian spring look very much like those produced by seeping water on Earth. But further study by scientists show that such streaks can be formed by flowing dry sand.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 am

They left it a bit late to go to Mars. A few years ago I remember riding my Honda to work on the night shift about ten oclock and Mars was dead ahead of me and bigger than the moon . I had no idea it would look that big. Now it`s on the other side of the Sun .

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

Brother of a good friend is one of the top honchos on the Mars project. When he talks about it, he's like a kid talking about his latest toy. His enthusiasm is highly contagious, and I didn't mind a bit!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 pm

amezcua wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 am
They left it a bit late to go to Mars. A few years ago I remember riding my Honda to work on the night shift about ten oclock and Mars was dead ahead of me and bigger than the moon . I had no idea it would look that big. Now it`s on the other side of the Sun .
No idea if you meant this seriously or not, but Mars will never be as big in the sky as the moon, not even close.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm

I was totally 100 % genuine and truthful as always and that was the day (or night ) Mars was closest to Earth for a very long time. I will look up the records to see what they say .
Well I was completely wrong . It was a famous hoax from 2003 and what I saw must have been a brown coloured moon .A cherished memory smashed to pieces . The scale against the moon would make it look like a pinprick . But it still made my day . It will go in my dogeared scrapbook of happy memories like the Canadian sprinter who broke the world record but was later disqualified for drugs . Ben Johnson .
I must have connected the BBC News about Mars being closest in a long time with the colour of the moon that night .Maybe not a hoax on me but a vague connection . Often there is a big story about shooting stars and when I look there is nothing to see . I`m basically not that interested any more . I keep thinking Astronomers are wasting vast amounts of money studying galaxies 300 million light years away .

Return to “The Café”