Classical guitar case cover

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Whiteagle

Classical guitar case cover

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:06 am

I am interested in getting a classical guitar case cover to cover my large classical hiscox artist guitar case.

I have been looking on the internet and classical guitar case covers are very hard to find or just appear to be made for a specific guitar.

My hiscox case will protect the guitar but I am interested in also protecting the case from scratches.

Interested if anyone has information on where to buy case covers. Also interested to hear from anyone that has used a cover and how you found it. I dont intend using the cover all the time but would use it when flying. I could be wrong but I get the impression airport staff dont think you have to be too careful with hard cases.

Marco32

Re: Classical guitar case cover

Post by Marco32 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 am

Hi, are you going to check the guitar in? If so, the cover wouldn’t be my concern, as scratches might be a bit more evident than a cover can prevent...

Hiscox cases are not meant to be checked in.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 am

Marco32 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 am
Hi, are you going to check the guitar in? If so, the cover wouldn’t be my concern, as scratches might be a bit more evident than a cover can prevent...

Hiscox cases are not meant to be checked in.

Hi

What cases would you recommend for checking in a guitar?

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 am

Karura or Calton are the safest but not the cheapest. You can find second hand ones. I would never check-in one of my guitars in a normal case, not engineered and designed to resist airport handling and pressure/temperature of flight cargos..

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 am

There have been a few threads about this over the last year or so.

I spoke to an insurance company and was told that they would cover damage to a guitar which had been checked in a Hiscox, but that they would expect it to be wrapped in bubble wrap.

As I understand it most cases - including Karura and Calton - are designed to provide crush resistance rather than impact resistance. There is not much space for cushioning between the case shell and the guitar, so most of the impact is going to be transferred. Half the problem with checking luggage is that it may well fall off the conveyor or trolley at some point, or be thrown from one to the other. Crush resistance isn't much use there.

With that in mind I think you are right to be looking for some kind of cover. One option is to get hold of a double walled carboard box and use the Hiscox with a lot of bubble wrap. That is going to be better than a Karura or Calton IMO. There is a member from Sydney with the username peter something whose avatar is a glass of red wine - he posted some good advice about how to do this maybe 4 months ago.

BAM make a cover which is specifically designed to withstand being checked. It is like a big foamy jacket that hugs the main case - but this means it has a cutout the exact size and shape of the BAM Hightech case (which is a lot smaller and rounder than the Hiscox) so you have to buy both, which will set you back something like 1200 AUD.

A lot depends where you are going and how often. If you are just going over to Bali on AirAsia an extra seat isn't really that expensive (but be aware that size limits apply even if you buy an extra seat, and the Hiscox may be too big even if the guitar itself isn't). You can also go to the airport with the Hiscox and a load of bubble wrap, then dump the bubble wrap if you can persuade the check-in attendant to let you take it as carry on and get more on the way back... but only if you don't have a layover. Otherwise you can go the cardboard box route if it's just one or two flights, but if you are going to be doing it a lot and want convenience and peace of mind, or just don't want to be the guy with the manky cardboard box, I think you have to put down the money for the BAM.

Edited (caffeine insufficiency)
Last edited by Rasputin on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 am

The beauty of the BAM solution means you can carry your guitar around locally in a nice light case, then suit it up when you travel.
I've no personal experience with this though.

I use a Visesnut case, and have not checked it, though I know others have with no problems. I have the case cover for it, which looks great, but is too hard to zip closed in my experience.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:29 pm

I have the case cover for it, which looks great, but is too hard to zip closed in my experience.
This may sound obvious but: Visesnut case covers are very closely fitted (I know, I have one). Settle the case into the cover, making sure before you even zip it that the case lines up with the cover's seams (particularly the lower bout and head). It should zip closed fairly easily after that, or so's been my experience.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Colorado Covers used to produce one especially for the Hiscox but it seems to have been discontinued.
Maybe there would be one as new old stock somewhere or on e - b a y?
You may have to buy some generic cover. Strings By Mail (dot com) shows a generic Colorado Case cover but are out of stock but ask them, they may have some on the way. Or ask Hiscox and they may be able to help.

Edit:
Have you read this - in case :wink: it helps
viewtopic.php?t=82267
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:55 am

I have used and seen several commercial case covers, and they all had problems:
  • synthetic fabrics cannot be repaired
  • often polyester or easily-unravelling nylon
  • One brand didnt even fit all my cases
  • carrying strap too narrow; folds up uncomfortably under weight
  • carrying strap clipped onto the case cover(!) These plastic or metal clips are the weakest link; if they bend or break, the case falls.
  • Zipper fails easily, especially around the curves, and cannot be replaced.

Here is a case cover I had made by a local seamstress for less than $50.00 USD. It is heavy cotton canvas. Drawstring closure. The strap came from a medical-supply store; used for restraining patients in wheelchairs, beds, etc. I use an old belt as a compression strap wrapped through the carrying strap to keep it from ripping with the weight, and to keep the case from sliding out through the drawstring opening. The inside has been reinforced with a strip of seatbelt material to better support the carrying strap. It even has some lightly quilted padding.

I need to experiment a bit more with where the handle is attached (case isnt quite balanced) but otherwise, i love it.

Pretty good for a prototype!

IMG_2610.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dirck Nagy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 am

I use a dreadnought gig bag as my classical guitar case cover. Works well.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 am

Peter Lovett wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 am
Hi Peter, is it a padded gig bag? Is it to stop scratches or reduce impact damage? Did you buy it online?

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 am
Peter Lovett wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 am
Hi Peter, is it a padded gig bag? Is it to stop scratches or reduce impact damage? Did you buy it online?
Yes, it is padded but wouldn't absorb much impact as its quite thin. Primarily it is to stop scratches although the actual case is a hard shell (make unknown) and the gig bag came with straps so I can sling the whole thing on like a back-pack. I think I bought it on e - b a y.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Return to “The Café”