Jordan Peterson's hands

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
DevonBadger

Jordan Peterson's hands

Post by DevonBadger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

I've recently discovered Jordan Peterson's videos and he has fantastically expressive hands. See the start of the example below.

My hands and fingers can quite often feel a bit stiff and tight, say after a long practice session, and so I'm trying to make more free-form movements, especially when not even using my hands to do anything in particular, just to try and keep them a bit looser. I do some formal stretches as well, but this is just to add a bit more movement into everyday activities.

I've only recently discovered Jordan Peterson, and I'm sure his ideas would attract all kinds of opinions and there could be plenty of lively debate (within the rules of Delcamp of course :) ) but I wanted to leave that to one side and just highlight how he uses his hands. An example of the strange and unexpected sources of inspiration for creative endeavour generally, and playing classical guitar specifically in this case.

[media]https://youtu.be/JdAKO3b8oLc[/media]

chiral3

Re: Jordan Peterson's hands

Post by chiral3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:28 pm

I like Jordan Peterson. I don't always agree with him but I respect him as a thinker. I like his no-BS style, especially around identity politics. Why he's helpful for me is because he indirectly (sometimes directly) addresses at cognitive biases. I am in a profession where I need to be very aware of my cognitive biases and I need to adjust, even if it doesn't feel good. His new book is in my stack.

Yes, you'll get a ton of opinions on Dr Peterson. He's not here to make you feel good, and people don't like that.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 pm

BTW, he studies the worst human atrocities like a physicist picking through the data from a high energy collider. Nanking, Unit 731, etc. He believes it's really important that for one to be good one must understand the evil they are capable of. I can't agree more.

Pirooz Emad

Post by Pirooz Emad » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:35 am

chiral3 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 pm
BTW, he studies the worst human atrocities like a physicist picking through the data from a high energy collider. Nanking, Unit 731, etc. He believes it's really important that for one to be good one must understand the evil they are capable of. I can't agree more.
Yes, I too have learned much from him. He has studied the human capacity for atrocity and understands it well. But we part ways when he attempts to explain it in the framework of mythology. Mythology is not helpful in understanding the origin of this human capability. We humans didn't become cruel after making up and telling stories of cruelty, most likely it worked the other way around: our mythology evolved to capture and tell tales of our cruelty. I think he is on a much more solid footing when he talks about dominance hierarchies in evolutionary terms. His use of mythology is entertaining and insightful but not explanatory.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:14 pm

I agree with you on that point. He is overinfluenced by Jung. I don't think he uses it in a way that it hurts his underlying points, though. (Like Malcolm Gladwell he uses fables, myths, cosmogonies as universal glue to thicken the whole narrative, as a descriptive device... Unlike Gladwell he isn't spewing meaningless drivel.)

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Interesting that Peterson should show up on this forum. He is an amazing thinker and I really enjoy listening to his lectures.

Pirooz Emad

Post by Pirooz Emad » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:12 am

chiral3 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:14 pm
I agree with you on that point. He is overinfluenced by Jung. I don't think he uses it in a way that it hurts his underlying points, though. (Like Malcolm Gladwell he uses fables, myths, cosmogonies as universal glue to thicken the whole narrative, as a descriptive device... Unlike Gladwell he isn't spewing meaningless drivel.)
Good point about Jung. Peterson seems committed to science and the scientific method in proving his underlying points, one of which being that the human capacity for cruelty has an evolutionary origin. His fondness for and extensive knowledge of mythology seem to seduce him into suggesting that mythology is a causative agent in this evolution, this distracts from his theory. I know it is a bit of an unfair analogy, but this is somewhat like trying to prove a theory in astronomy by siting evidence from astrology.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 am

Thanks for the post. I'm not overly concerned with his expressive hand gestures but he does make some interesting points. I'm kind of an armchair philosopher (amateur) and find some of the things he's saying educational and original and his delivery is great. I imagine he gets paid for his talks. Hmm :contrat:

I just noticed this is my 300th post...but who's counting. I see some members have thousands of posts...I can only hope I last that long.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “The Café”