Getting a cold after Flu shot, coincidence or not?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
SteveL123

Getting a cold after Flu shot, coincidence or not?

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 pm

My blood tests are good, heart rate, blood pressure exc. Basically I'm in excellent health.

I do not usually catch a cold in the winter, unless I get a flu shot. In the past 10 years, I have had a flu shot 3 times. Within days of the flu shot, I'd develop a cold that would last a couple of weeks, I'd say to myself no more flu shots. Well I got a flue shot a week ago because of the constant bombardment on the news telling people to get flu shots. Big mistake! I have a cold now that is developing. For me, the correlation of getting a flu shot and subsequently getting a cold has been 100%. Coincidence? Can a flu shot really give you a cold?

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Re: Getting a cold after Flu shot, coincidence or not?

Post by Alan Carruth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Why are you asking US?

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Public space forum. There's some smart people here.

John Forgan
Student of the online lessons

Post by John Forgan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I think you're right!!

Just after getting my flu jab I broke a finger nail! I certainly won't be getting the flu jab in future if that's what's going to happen every time!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Search engine answer:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... JR0BUthwU4

Short answer is no but it can give side effects.
Historicalguitars.

steampick

Post by steampick » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Absolutely false. The flu shot will not give you a cold, or the flu. Anyway, the flu and a cold are different things, so it's just a coincidence. Plus, there's lot's of colds going around. Hard not to get one.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/flu-sh ... -go-again/

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 pm

It seems that some people do get temporary side effects after getting a flue shot. These can include mild fever and slight muscle aches for a day or so. These are due to the immune system responding to the shot, not because the shot gives you a cold or flue.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Randy Johnson
Student of the online lessons

Post by Randy Johnson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 pm

corius wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 pm
I think you're right!!

Just after getting my flu jab I broke a finger nail! I certainly won't be getting the flu jab in future if that's what's going to happen every time!
That was funny I actually loled when I read it.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 am

I would say that you probably caught the cold when you were at the doc getting the flu shot. There was probably someone there with a cold that hacked all over the place at the doc’s office, and you were exposed. I used to work in a hospital. I caught everything there was to catch during the first year and a half that I worked there. The flu shot doesn’t give you a cold, or the flu. So, I would recommend getting a flu shot every year. Yes, it’s just coincidence.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 am
The flu shot doesn’t give you a cold, or the flu. So, I would recommend getting a flu shot every year. Yes, it’s just coincidence.
True, but it can give you temporary side effects that you might cause you to mistakenly think it has given you a mold cold or flue.
from the NHS wesbite:
After the flu jab you may get a mild fever and slight muscle aches for a day or so.
You can't catch flu from the flu jab
The flu jab cannot cause flu because there are no active viruses in the vaccine.

If you have what you think is flu after vaccination, it may be that you have caught a flu-like virus that isn't really flu, or you may have caught flu before your flu vaccination had taken effect.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:27 pm

I heard some reactions to flu jabs some months ago but they were from Australia. They must get the mixture before we do . So keep your eye on Australian flu jab news to get a preview. Some mixtures are better than others they say . I try to avoid them now . I had some flu or a cold last time I tried the jab . They should record what we say here in case millions , but not us , die . Darwin would like that .
Perhaps future statistics will show that internet readers lasted longer if they swopped medical information . It used to be proverbs like "An apple a day keeps the doctor away ".

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 pm

steampick wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 pm
Absolutely false. The flu shot will not give you a cold, or the flu. Anyway, the flu and a cold are different things, so it's just a coincidence. Plus, there's lot's of colds going around. Hard not to get one.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/flu-sh ... -go-again/
Of course, the above ^^^^ is the official answer. Anything else would be a crackpot conspiracy theory, right? :D

I have noticed, anecdotally, that I too get colds and/or flu after I get the flu shot ... for many years. It's uncanny. The last two years, I refused the flu shot stating allergic type reactions. I have not had a cold since. Masses of people all around have colds and flu - but not me!

This anecdotal evidence extends to my colleagues at the prison hospital where I work. Those who refuse the shot stay healthy. Those who get the shot get colds or flu within 2-7 days after. My professional assessment is that the flu shot weakens immune systems and leads to real infection of real pathogens. My responses were not just histamine responses to the shot itself - they were full blown nasty azz infections that knocked me down. We nurses have collectively agreed on this phenomenon, anecdotal as it may be.

But the way the vaccine is developed is by using the organisms from previous flu seasons. This year's guess missed the mark, and I have near zero confidence in the entire process overall. Vaccinating for a known and well defined organism would change my skepticism completely.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 am

When I was teaching, I would get sick every year. I retired 5 years ago and haven't gotten sick since. Unfortunately, I am now sick. It started 2 days ago and I did have a flu shot earlier in the year (last year) so it's not from the shot. I'm hoping it's just a head cold. A grand kid had a cold and I most likely got it from him. Starting to cough and it's settling in. It's a lot like what I imagine torture would be like. The upside though, I'm feeling very little pain. Can you get drunk on NightTime cold medicine? Hey, no one else listens to me. How's my spelling?
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

steampick

Post by steampick » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I have noticed, anecdotally, that I too get colds and/or flu after I get the flu shot ... for many years. It's uncanny. The last two years, I refused the flu shot stating allergic type reactions. I have not had a cold since. Masses of people all around have colds and flu - but not me!
post hoc ergo propter hoc

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:37 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 am
When I was teaching, I would get sick every year. I retired 5 years ago and haven't gotten sick since. Unfortunately, I am now sick. It started 2 days ago and I did have a flu shot earlier in the year (last year) so it's not from the shot. I'm hoping it's just a head cold. A grand kid had a cold and I most likely got it from him. Starting to cough and it's settling in. It's a lot like what I imagine torture would be like. The upside though, I'm feeling very little pain. Can you get drunk on NightTime cold medicine? Hey, no one else listens to me. How's my spelling?
Hope you get better soon!
Scott

Return to “The Café”