Emotional Support Guitar(s)

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Emotional Support Guitar(s)

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Okay - the news is currently full of everything from peacocks to boa constrictors listed as "emotional support animals". I say this, if someone thinks they get emotional support from a boa constrictor, then why can't I claim to get emotional support from my guitar(s)?

Help me find arguments that will allow us to call our guitars "emotional support ... thingies". The payout is that the airlines must make "reasonable accommodation" to allow our instruments in the cabin (carry on) because they provide us with emotional support.

Here's my contribution: put a termite inside the guitar. So it is my "emotional support termite" housed in a wooden guitar. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

chiral3

Re: Emotional Support Guitar(s)

Post by chiral3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Ha!!!! My father has been particularly worked up over the whole peacock incident. There was an op-ed the other day, I think in the NYTs. It was basically some dude calling BS on the whole thing. It's a pretty good read. Starts with a picture of a peacock, which all its glorious plumage, in the boarding area.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 pm

chiral3 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 pm
Ha!!!! My father has been particularly worked up over the whole peacock incident. There was an op-ed the other day, I think in the NYTs. It was basically some dude calling BS on the whole thing. It's a pretty good read. Starts with a picture of a peacock, which all its glorious plumage, in the boarding area.
She was warned that she could not bring it aboard before she came to the airport.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:46 pm
Here's my contribution: put a termite inside the guitar. So it is my "emotional support termite" housed in a wooden guitar. :D
Sure you meant a Gromphadorhina portentosa. :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagasca ... ch#As_pets

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 am

lagartija wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 pm
chiral3 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 pm
She was warned that she could not bring it aboard before she came to the airport.

I am sure. That's sound guidance. :-)
Here's the oped I mentioned https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/opin ... ipad-share
Just look at that glorious beast!
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:

Until you find out that your termite's in-flight snack was your spruce top
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:16 am

I had a renter once that used a horse as a support animal. Every time I drove by she was feeding and watering it. Then she would spend her weekends cleaning out the stall, brushing and grooming the beast. She lived there for around a year and I marveled at how much work it was to take care of her "support animal." Why or how could anyone get support by doing that much work. I did suggest it might be easier for her to get a ferrite or maybe a cat or a good old dog but she was not interested. Plus, she paid extra for the water she was using. Still don't understand why she picked such a support animal.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 am

ameriken wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 am
Andrew Pohlman wrote:

Until you find out that your termite's in-flight snack was your spruce top
I think most people use a separate little cage for their termites when they travel...just slip it in the guitar attached to a string for easy removal. :lol:

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:15 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Sure you meant a Gromphadorhina portentosa. :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagasca ... ch#As_pets
Now this would be something!

1) Must obtain a roach permit for some states.
2) Must ensure only males roaches.
3) Newly created airline rules require support pet certification.
4) CITES and Lacey acts for the guitar used as roach housing.
5) Roach escapes and seeks a dark, warm, wet hiding place on the snoring man nearby. :D

... Maybe I'll stay home ... Wait, maybe I can get a pet rock certified for emotional support? :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:46 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:15 pm
simonm wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Now this would be something!

1) Must obtain a roach permit for some states.
2) Must ensure only males roaches.
3) Newly created airline rules require support pet certification.
4) CITES and Lacey acts for the guitar used as roach housing.
5) Roach escapes and seeks a dark, warm, wet hiding place on the snoring man nearby. :D

... Maybe I'll stay home ... Wait, maybe I can get a pet rock certified for emotional support?
Love it!

They might not let you on the plane with a rock...you could smash a window or something. :shock:

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

dory

Post by dory » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 am

I am in an apartment for 3 months while my home is being renovated. I have a new neighbor who works nights and claims my dog barks incessantly when I am out and calls the office daily to complain about her. The problem is I am so terrified of the neighbor that I am leaving the dogs at my (empty, on the market) parents’ house whenever I am out. The dog who is barking is halfway across town. The funny thing is my landlord’s solution to the problem. He is asking me to fake some sort of mental illness so that my younger dog can be officially declared an “emotional support animal.” Apparently you can do the whole thing online. You can choose your mental illness. (I don’t want to have one.)
Dory

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:22 am

dory wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 am
I am in an apartment for 3 months while my home is being renovated. I have a new neighbor who works nights and claims my dog barks incessantly when I am out and calls the office daily to complain about her. The problem is I am so terrified of the neighbor that I am leaving the dogs at my (empty, on the market) parents’ house whenever I am out. The dog who is barking is halfway across town. The funny thing is my landlord’s solution to the problem. He is asking me to fake some sort of mental illness so that my younger dog can be officially declared an “emotional support animal.” Apparently you can do the whole thing online. You can choose your mental illness. (I don’t want to have one.)
Sorry to hear about your dog problems and you're right, you don't want a mental illness. It's hard to get rid of...easier to lose weight than get rid of a mental illness. You can have a support dog. Many people have support animals. When my dog was alive we used to go into restaurants and I was never asked to show any type of proof he was a support dog. (how's my spelling?)

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “The Café”