Editing PDF documents

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Malcolm

Editing PDF documents

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 am

I have Christopher Parkening's arrangement of Satie's three Gymnoedies in PDF format. They are in standard notation plus tab which I would have appreciated 4 or 5 years ago but now I would prefer just standard notation.

Is there some PDF editing app which would allow me to delete the lines of tab?

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Steve O

Re: Editing PDF documents

Post by Steve O » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 am

Nope.

Best I could do is cover the tab with white filled text boxes to hide the tab.

I could also clip out pictures of the standard notation then paste the notation into another program (such as Word) as a series of images.

I could also print the .pdf, use scissors to cut out the tab, glue the standard notation onto a blank piece of paper, then photocopy the paper and scan the photocopy back into a new .pdf :-)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 am

Steve O wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 am
Nope.

Best I could do is cover the tab with white filled text boxes to hide the tab.

I could also clip out pictures of the standard notation then paste the notation into another program (such as Word) as a series of images.

I could also print the .pdf, use scissors to cut out the tab, glue the standard notation onto a blank piece of paper, then photocopy the paper and scan the photocopy back into a new .pdf :-)
Thanks Steve :) In that case I'll just put up with the tab. I did buy a book of the 3 Gymonpedies and 3 of the Gnossiennes transcribed by Peter Charles Kraus but I'm not particularly impressed with it. Gymnopedie # 3 is in B minor so the first note (B) is played as part of a bar chord on the 7th fret; it just doesn't really work.

Parkening's arrangement is in A minor with drop D tuning so the first note is an open A followed by the open D; much more effective.

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am

Malcolm, It is possible to take a snapshot of PDF pages (one at a time). Then copy the snapshot into a photo-editor where you can cut and paste what you want into a new image, thereby creating tab-free images of pages. You may then use them as is, or convert them into a new PDF. It is tedious, but I find it useful for separating parts from a long score.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 am

Musescore (free) is offering an experimental conversion to musescore file. It's not promising perfect results but it might work whereupon deleting the tab should be easy once in musescore software.

I have previously used the Photoshop / Photo Editor method with good success & quicker than photocopying, cutting with scissors, sticking with glue.

Otherwise yes, learn to ignore the tab. I do. The positions are often not the best physically or musically anyway. Use your own fingering & write in the staff notation.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm

In Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not Adobe Reader) you can create a new PDF by excising chunks of your original PDF document (such as blocks of notation) and putting them together in a new PDF. On Apple Mac computers there are several applications that will do the same task; the one I like is PDF Expert, but I think Preview (which comes free with the computer) will also do it. I'm not sure about Windows computers, but there must be an app that can do the same.

I didn't know that MuseScore was experimenting with optical music recognition (OMR) for converting sheet music to MuseScore. Presumably this will be free, but there are also several paid for applications that will do this; the newest that I know about is SmartScore Music-to-XML - but it's quite pricey.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am
Malcolm, It is possible to take a snapshot of PDF pages (one at a time). Then copy the snapshot into a photo-editor where you can cut and paste what you want into a new image, thereby creating tab-free images of pages. You may then use them as is, or convert them into a new PDF. It is tedious, but I find it useful for separating parts from a long score.
Second this approach to extract the staff lines from the pdf via snapshot but do recommend to insert them immediatelly as pictures in a word document or equivalent. With the layout set to „free floating before the text“ the staff line pictures can be easily positioned, adjusted in size and and the final document reconverted to pdf which is possible with any word processing program like Word, LibreOffice etc.! :wink:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just try to ignore the tab and learn the pieces so I don't have to look at it.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Mark Twain

musikai

Post by musikai » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi,
if your PDF consists of fonts and vector graphics then I would recommend Inkscape for this which is free and available on every OS. You can import your PDF into it. (check "Poppler" on the import dialog)
Then you can cut it into pieces and arrange the new layout.
How many pages is the PDF? Inkscape can only produce 1 page PDFs so you might have to merge multiple pages after the process with any free PDF-merger.
It sounds all more complicated than it is.
Greets
Kai

Edit: I think I found the PDF on the internet. It is a scanned document and the Tab is very close to the the notation. Might be better to use an image editor for that. Also LibreOffice Draw can open such PDF.
BTW came about this interesting page about Parkening's transcription and alternatives:
http://hucbald.blogspot.de/2008/03/arra ... -no-1.html
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

dory

Post by dory » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:46 am

I have a better solution for tab which I use myself. Just don’t look at it.
Dory

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 am

I had a book years ago (before pdf) that had tab and I used tape to cover it up. Helped a lot because being new to notation at the time, my eyes would naturally gravitate to the tab.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 am

I find it helpful to edit sheet music for the purpose of study and learning a piece. This is fair use of material which I have purchased. My eyes are not so great anymore and so it helps to make the score as large as possible on the page and separate the staff for less confusion. I scan multiple pages to pdf and then open the pdf file in Photoshop, then edit the layout to my hearts content, also, remove any extraneous material, such as tab lines, crop and print.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 am

There is an easy way to get rid of the tabs available on partifi.org. I use it frequently when I want to split partitures in to single voices. Or just for of deleting tabs (to save turning pages).
This online tool is pretty straight forward to use - so just try it out.

musikai

Post by musikai » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am

guitarguy wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 am
There is an easy way to get rid of the tabs available on partifi.org. I use it frequently when I want to split partitures in to single voices. Or just for of deleting tabs (to save turning pages).
This online tool is pretty straight forward to use - so just try it out.
This is an excellent Tool!!! Thank you!
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Thanks guitarguy and musikai

Cheers,
Malcolm

Mark Twain

Return to “The Café”