Greatest lame duck thread ever?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Whiteagle

Greatest lame duck thread ever?

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am

The thread below was posted 3 days ago. It has failed to generate even 1 comment regarding newsletters, podcasts etc that other delcampers listen to and read. Either there isnt much out there to be listed or else it deserves the award of the greatest lame duck thread ever! Not even 1 suggestion, only a comment from someone that they just read delcamp. Makes me wonder is everyone else in the same boat?

The original post was:

I am interested in what other delcampers subscribe to by way of podcasts, newsletters, magazines etc regarding claasical guitar and music

Hers is my list

Newsletters: The musicians way, Bullet proof musician, This is classical guitar, Tonebase
Podcasts: Classical guitar corner, Classical guitar insider, Classic guitar, Guitar conversations
Magazines: Classical Guitar news (newsletter and magazine)
websites: Delcamp, Classical guitar corner, Tonebase, This is classical guitar
There are others but these are the the main things I read, look at and listen to.

What is your list?
Last edited by Whiteagle on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: So many Newsletters, Magazines, Podcasts and more!

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Only Delcamp.

How anyone has the time to subscribe to more than a couple of these things - forum, blog, whatever - I just don't know. I don't even buy a newspaper (in any form) these days - haven't had time for that for 15 or 20 years. I still visit here because it's easy to flip in to when I take a tea-break from transcribing at the screen; there are often a couple of characters worth reading and always at least a couple offering humorous light relief (though not always deliberately) Glassy and Ronnie the Viking are my current favourites.

Whiteagle

Re: So many Newsletters, Magazines, Podcasts and more!

Post by Whiteagle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:15 am

It appears I might be the only delcamper that gets classical guitar related emails, magazines and podcasts. Oh well! Long live delcamp!

Whiteagle

Greatest lame duck thread ever!

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am

The thread below was posted 3 days ago. It has failed to generate even 1 comment regarding newsletters, podcasts etc that other delcampers listen to and read. Either there isnt much out there to be listed or else it deserves the award of the greatest lame duck thread ever! Not even 1 suggestion, only a comment from someone that they just read delcamp. Makes me wonder is everyone else in the same boat?

I have never posted a question before and not had a single suggestion after 3 days.
The original thread was

I am interested in what other delcampers subscribe to by way of podcasts, newsletters, magazines etc regarding claasical guitar and music

Hers is my list

Newsletters: The musicians way, Bullet proof musician, This is classical guitar, Tonebase
Podcasts: Classical guitar corner, Classical guitar insider, Classic guitar, Guitar conversations
Magazines: Classical Guitar news (newsletter and magazine)
websites: Delcamp, Classical guitar corner, Tonebase, This is classical guitar
There are others but these are the the main things I read, look at and listen to.

What is your list?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Greatest lame duck thread ever?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:28 am

Go to the Unanswered Topics list; plenty competition there...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 am

I guess that means that not many of us subscribe to these things. I have looked at tonebase a few times but I don't go there regularly or have a paid membership. If something specific comes up I will have a duckduckgo and see what I can find about it, but it doesn't tend to lead me back to the same place each time. Scribd has lots of scanned music material for free, though the fact that it is a commercial site doesn't mean that royalties have been properly paid. Again, I don't go there all that regularly but I have got stuff from there from time to time - an article by Stanley Yates on the difficulties of transcription, for example. I prefer to look into stuff that relates to what I am actually doing at the time. If I subscribe to a podcast the chances of it having anything to do with what I am focusing on are pretty minimal. That's not really the case with the forum because there is so much going on at once - plus I get to clarify my own thinking by posting, and I find out a lot about how other people - be they teachers or learners - see music, the classical guitar, and the teaching/learning process.

PS I meant to say that I bet there have been plenty that got no responses at all, but forgot and now see that Stephen has just posted that.

PPS, get the BAM.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 am

I recently subscribed to Classical Guitar magazine. Mainly because I submitted an article on composing for cg and they did send me a free subscription. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Or, maybe they just felt sorry for me and gave it to me as a sympathy thing. I sure hope they print it because not only would I be able to say I'm now a published author but it would also help beginning cg composers. Wish me luck...and if it's published, I promise not to brag about it on the forum. Well, maybe just a little. :contrat:
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 am

David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 am
I recently subscribed to Classical Guitar magazine. Mainly because I submitted an article on composing for cg and they did send me a free subscription. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Or, maybe they just felt sorry for me and gave it to me as a sympathy thing. I sure hope they print it because not only would I be able to say I'm now a published author but it would also help beginning cg composers. Wish me luck...and if it's published, I promise not to brag about it on the forum. Well, maybe just a little. :contrat:
Definitely let everyone know if its published. Are there any books, reference material you know of specifically focused on composing for the classical guitar?

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:20 pm

No offence, but I don't think I could stomach any more than this forum.

You get the impression here that there are people who sleep 8 hours a day, play CG 8 hours a day and listen to CG for the other 8 hours a day. And that isn't enough? They want more than one forum full of people like that?

GET A LIFE!

Even Itzak Perlman doesn't immerse himself that much.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:09 pm

Composer of the Week and Meet the Composer are about the only podcasts I feel I have time for that I consistently listen to.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 am
David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 am
Definitely let everyone know if its published. Are there any books, reference material you know of specifically focused on composing for the classical guitar?
I did find several very good music notation books and books on how to read music that I use, but I think the art of composing is a lot like writing a good novel. Once you learn how to write music, like writing words, you develop the ability to transcribe what you're trying to say/compose. But I doubt there is much literature showing you how to actually come up with musical themes, melodies or ideas. And there is a thing called "muse." It's like a mythical being looking down on the creative person and decides to act in your favor or not. If it doesn't give you the okay, you will always just be a mediocre composer or artist. I guess the practical translation to that is you either have the talent or you don't and no matter what you do, you'll never be a famous composer or artist. You can't practice your way into greatness. :(

Regards,
David

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 am

My thread about Sevilla strings was PRETTY LAME. Apparently nobody has tried them. The thread got no replies. I guess nobody wants to buy strings from the Everly brothers, one of whom owns the company that makes them. Bye bye love...Bye bye coated strings.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm

It's a good idea for a topic and I guess people don't reply for several reasons (one may be that they have nothing interesting to contribute). :)

I have a Bachelors degree in guitar performance from 1992, but now 25+ years later classical guitar is merely a hobby and while I do practice quite a lot, and attend an annual guitar festival here in Norway, there is simply too much "real life" stuff going on to be more involved than I already am.

I did subscribe to Classical Guitar Magazine for a year or two, but it gets too academic for my taste. I simply don't have that kind of deep interest in the workings of the CG industry.

Newsletters are usually not interesting to me - it quickly feels like spam.

I also listened to the Classical Guitar Insider podcast for a while. It was actually quite good, with great and insightful conversations with interesting performers, but after a while it felt like a loop of similar topics on repeat.

Youtube is something I use more often - and I often listen to Classical Guitar videos Youtube recommends to me. It gives me a lot of ideas for pieces to start working on.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:46 pm

tormodg wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm
I guess people don't reply for several reasons (one may be that they have nothing interesting to contribute)
The internet is like that - you post something you think is important and it gets no response. You post a throwaway remark and it generates a huge debate. You have no control over what happens.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." It comes down to what you're conscious of or what you like. Things that are boring to some are interesting to others. It's one of the traits that makes us all unique individuals. I sound like one of my philosophy professors-sorry.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “The Café”