What is on your bucket list?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Lovemyguitar

Re: What is on your bucket list?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 am

To answer the original question: I would very much like never again to hear (or read) anyone use the term "bucket list" to describe things that they would like to do, accomplish, etc.. Maybe it is just me, but I really hate that term.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm

What term would you prefer?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon May 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm
What term would you prefer?
I don't think it needs a term. To me, framing one's hopes and dreams and aspirations and goals in terms of "I had better do this now before I die" puts an ominous and pessimistic dark cloud over something that should be wonderful and positive and life-affirming. It shifts the focus of the moment from the present to the future (to "the end", in fact), and perhaps even deprives the thing in question of a lot of its meaning: something is meaningful when it is done for its own sake, not for the sake of something else. Thus the idea of "a bucket list" reflects an attitude towards life that I simply do not understand nor share, a negative mindset that seems quite contrary to the aim of enjoying life. I do try to live my life to the fullest, always seeking and learning and growing as a person, and in so doing, I celebrate every moment for what it is, for the happiness and enrichment that it brings to me. To think of it as something to cross off a list before I croak would definitely take some of the joy out of it.

Of course, maybe a lot of people haven't given the term a second thought, and perhaps none of my reservations about it have even occurred to most people, and that's entirely probable. But, I like to choose my words carefully (even if I never say them or write them), and have them reflect who I am and what I think and feel, and some words and terms, especially for how one approaches and perceives life and how one lives it, are simply appalling to me, "bucket list" included.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 pm

Fair enough.

I just assumed it was a bit of dark humor - reminding us not to wait too long to have our life experiences.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Return to “The Café”