Yamaha's Trans-acoustic guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Godlovitch

Yamaha's Trans-acoustic guitar

Post by Godlovitch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:48 pm

I've recently learned about the trans-acoustic guitar Yamaha has been marketing. It seems quite a striking new development. The technology involved could easily be transfered to the classical guitar with one current snag. It requires the completion of a circuit every time a string strikes a fret. On a classical, that will currently only happen with the bass strings. I'm wondering whether anyone knows what state the development of classical string technology is at. Strings have been changed foir awhile now. So, e.g., the wire-wrapped 4th didn't come in until 1788. Gut for the trebles wasn't replaced with nylon until the 40s-50s. Supposing that wire can be drawn as finely (if not moreso) than human hair, it would probably be feasible to make wire-wrapped trebles with fibre cores. The sound wouldn't be as twangy as a monofilament wire on the typical acoustic guitar, but, likely it wouldn't be as mellow (if that's the word) as is nylon. Then again, guitarists have adapted to serious changes in treble sound over the decades. Try playing gut trebles. This further adaptation would make available quite a remarkable option in the 'trans-classical' which could, if one so chose, be swapped back with conventional strings without any loss of sound quality - whatever the nuisance in re-stringing!

Does anyone know of any such developments in classical treble string research?

Dr ToneControl

Re: Yamaha's Trans-acoustic guitar

Post by Dr ToneControl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 am

How does it need the fret to electrically conduct anything? I can't see any mention of more than reverb/chorus

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

I think it could be put on a classical guitar. The pickup is piezo and the driver is not connected to the strings at all.

Whether it is worth doing is another question.

Godlovitch

Post by Godlovitch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks. I only just found out about the piezo pickup. I've heard something about the transducer on a classical cutting out at 100Hz, but I've no idea why this should be so. In the meanwhile, I've done the sensible thing and written to Yamaha.

Dr ToneControl

Post by Dr ToneControl » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:00 pm

this was the same idea basically, as an add-on, and specifically includes a solution for nylon guitars:
tonewoodamp

GMR

Post by GMR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Yamaha just previewed their new CG-TA classical guitar. It uses the same electronics as their other Trans-acoustic models. Not a lot of demos out there right now but the one I saw was interesting. Adds a new dimension of sound without having to plug in to an amp.
Garland

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm

I own a transacoustic steel string and have performed with it. I love it. Totally awesome. The tone controls can be overly used and will cause a heavily distorted and just plain bad sound. But if used conservatively, it works really well. Of course, my fist stop after purchase was to my friend who is an amateur luthier to set action height.

Yes - piezo pickup requires no electrical connection at all. Furthermore, it uses a transducer, similar to a reverb idea, that picks up and amplifies the sounds inside the guitar box. It has some massive resonances in a good way. The line out is totally dry. So if you want to use the effects on stage, you must mic the guitar and blend with the clean line out, or as I have done, send the line out to an amp with active FX.

I wrote a review on the Guitar Center Emeryville web site about 5-6 months ago. I signed as "Droidiphile from Pinole". I also see the transacoustic nylon string available at the Emeryville store. They were very friendly to me and I was allowed to just sit and play for quite a while.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

GMR

Post by GMR » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:31 am

Here’s a quick link to the nylon being demoed at NAMM last weekend.
Garland

Jordona

Post by Jordona » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm
I also see the transacoustic nylon string available at the Emeryville store. They were very friendly to me and I was allowed to just sit and play for quite a while.
What was your experience with the Nylon version?

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Is this a development of a technology that I saw before (can't recall the name) where a device is attached to the back of the instrument?

It won't replace a concert instrument (not by a long chalk) but it looks quite attractive for certain scenarios especially at the price - only £500 including shipping on pre-order from the German store that we all know.

EDIT: It was the tonewood device I was thinking of - nm.
Last edited by Mark Clifton-Gaultier on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Jordona wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm
I also see the transacoustic nylon string available at the Emeryville store. They were very friendly to me and I was allowed to just sit and play for quite a while.
What was your experience with the Nylon version?
If you want a classical guitar, or flamenco, you can do way better. But the combo of effects and line out, with a moderate quality instrument, makes it great for small venue work. It is more suitable as a nylon string folk guitar, really. But it's as good as the classical I take to picnics, my patient music groups, or anywhere I'm worried about physical harm to my high end guitars. At $700, it's not like you want to be cavalier with it. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Jordona

Post by Jordona » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks so much😁. Im choosing btn. the CG-TA and Cordoba C-10. Its just to (torture) my family with during Christmas.😁

Return to “The Café”