New Oud Video

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
rojarosguitar

New Oud Video

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Please enjoy outside the classical guitar world:

Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Rognvald

Re: New Oud Video

Post by Rognvald » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Sebastian,
What a wonderful piece of Art. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 pm

I was particularly impressed by the cascade of notes around 0:31, imitating the qanun, it's the kind of thing I wish I could do on the guitar and I could never pull off. You are quite the virtuoso!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:04 am

sxedio wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 pm
I was particularly impressed by the cascade of notes around 0:31, imitating the qanun, it's the kind of thing I wish I could do on the guitar and I could never pull off. You are quite the virtuoso!
Thanks, but unfortunately it's not me playing :lol:
It's one of the greatest living oud players ...:D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Dennis Rebbe

Post by Dennis Rebbe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 am

Wow, I am impressed by the playing. That's awesome. Oud is an interesting instrument. Do you know Omer Avital? He is a great Oud player from Israel and his brother Avi Avital is a famous mandolin player here in germany.

Michaël Niel

Post by Michaël Niel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the video. The oud is an awesome instrument indeed. It's sound is very deep yet dynamic (don't know if I'm beeing clear..., but I love it!).
I guess the technique is completely different from guitar or any other plucked instrument, though.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Dennis Rebbe wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 am
Wow, I am impressed by the playing. That's awesome. Oud is an interesting instrument. Do you know Omer Avital? He is a great Oud player from Israel and his brother Avi Avital is a famous mandolin player here in germany.
Thanks for the recommendation. Can you please point out some videos where I can hear specifically his oud playing? Just some links? Thanks.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Michaël Niel wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm
Thanks for the video. The oud is an awesome instrument indeed. It's sound is very deep yet dynamic (don't know if I'm beeing clear..., but I love it!).
I guess the technique is completely different from guitar or any other plucked instrument, though.
Oh yes, both instrument have very little in common in terms of technique, feel and sound production, not to mention, that the oud is a fretless instrument with double courses.

Dennis Rebbe

Post by Dennis Rebbe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:25 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 pm
Dennis Rebbe wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 am
Thanks for the recommendation. Can you please point out some videos where I can hear specifically his oud playing? Just some links? Thanks.
Yeah sure, here you go:

On the Album Avital meets Avital, he plays the Oud! But he changes to Bass during the tracks.

slidika

Post by slidika » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Very nice!! :casque:
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:31 pm

slidika wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 pm
Very nice!! :casque:
Are you referring to my video or the Avital videos? :D

slidika

Post by slidika » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:15 pm

Are you referring to my video or the Avital videos? :D
The first video, with the nice background music with the instrument closeups . . .
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

gjj

Post by gjj » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Gorgeous Oud. The tuning pegs...Wittner? I will have to look them up.
Thanks for posting!

gjj

Post by gjj » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 pm

I looked at the Wittner site. They don't have these specifically for Oud. Which would you recommend if I wanted to replace the standard pegs on my Oud?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 pm

I have used Wittner and Perfection pegs. What you take depends on several considerations:
- Where ate you based? (In Europe Perfection Pegs are quite expensive).
- Do you desperately need wooden knobs? Wittner is some kind of plastic.
- How big ratio? Wittner is 1:8.5, Perfection pegs are 1:4.
- How big are the peg holes already (violin pegs may be to small in diameter so you would need viola pegs).
- How large is the peg box (violin pegs are easily too short, especially Wittner, I think Perfection pegs are available in ore sizes). In that case viola pegs it will be...
There are no specific oud packages, so you will have to order the number accordingly. Also take into account that Perfection pegs have sides, so you will have to make sure to order the right number for each side of the peg box. Wittner pegs have no sides, so not much to think about.

Having had both here's my impression: Perfection pegs are more aesthetically pleasing, with wooden knobs (ebony or rosewood) and two different forms (swiss or Hill) to chose from. Certainly less comfortable in tuning than Wittners which can be described as being somewhere between Wittner and simple wood pegs. Wittners are the total no-brainer: just turning, and fine tuning is very easy. No pushing in or pulling out like still needed with Perfection pegs, though they are much finer and safer than traditional wood pegs; fine tuning is nat as easy as with Wittners.

Mustafa Said only uses Wittners on all his ouds - and he has dozens of them :lol: In Germany one get a set of four violin pegs for less than 80 EUro (though they may be too small). Viola pegs are larger and cost 109 Euro per four. (at the notorous musical mail ordering house with T in its name).

Return to “The Café”