Tradition for "tradition's sake" is illogical and banal.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
CarbonElitist

Re: Tradition for "tradition's sake" is illogical and banal.

Post by CarbonElitist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 am

jscott wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 am
Here's an imaginary dialogue from an alternative reality: A.: "can you believe these new phones?" B.: "yeah, aren't they great? You can actually hear the other person's voice live!" A.: "It's so much better than texting. You can really sense what the other person means and is feeling". B.: "technology just keeps getting better!" A.; "But my grandma insists on texting anyway--she can't figure out how to talk on the phone."
In all fairness, I've always detested talking on the phone even before the advent of texting.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm

What if ebooks had always been the norm and printed paper books had just been invented. Here are some selling points for the new invention:

- These new print books can be stored on a shelf with their printed titles on the spines, allowing immediate identification and retrieval without having to first turn on a computer or e-reader and search a menu.

- Be able to read it anytime, anywhere, without worrying about whether a book purchased for one device will work on another.

- Experience the calming tactile sensation of real paper and its glare-free quality that is so restful to the eyes.

- No need to worry about a battery going dead in the middle of an exciting chapter.

- Quickly flip from page to page without losing track of where you are.

- Put one of the newly invented sticky tabs on a page you want to return to quickly, like a map or an index.

- Mark important passages with the newly invented highlighter pen.

- Actually own the book instead of being a mere licensee.

- Lend them to friends without being blocked by license restrictions.

- When you no longer need it, give it away or resell it.

- Leave your print book library to your heirs.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:11 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm
What if ebooks had always been the norm and printed paper books had just been invented. Here are some selling points for the new invention:

- These new print books can be stored on a shelf with their printed titles on the spines, allowing immediate identification and retrieval without having to first turn on a computer or e-reader and search a menu.

- Be able to read it anytime, anywhere, without worrying about whether a book purchased for one device will work on another.

- Experience the calming tactile sensation of real paper and its glare-free quality that is so restful to the eyes.

- No need to worry about a battery going dead in the middle of an exciting chapter.

- Quickly flip from page to page without losing track of where you are.

- Put one of the newly invented sticky tabs on a page you want to return to quickly, like a map or an index.

- Mark important passages with the newly invented highlighter pen.

- Actually own the book instead of being a mere licensee.

- Lend them to friends without being blocked by license restrictions.

- When you no longer need it, give it away or resell it.

- Leave your print book library to your heirs.
Bravo! Very neat proof that progress isn't necessarily upward.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:32 pm

I like new tech (at least conceptually), so - given how everyone was raving about them at the time - I have an e-book. Most frustrating item I have ever tried. The only time I find it useful is while on a long flight. Then it's much more convenient than taking a stack of books with me. But - I don't take all that many long flights...

I love the larger screen smartphones. Instant encyclopedia/dictionary/trivia access. I can also do a fair amount of work-related activities on it. So that's all good!

Otherwise, we live out in the boonies. What is this "Netflix" I keep hearing about? :lol: We resort to buying DVDs - now that rentals are gone. In this case, I'd prefer on-line material - since I rarely watch a movie/series twice.

And I'm currently trying to figure out how to best access my music :cry: I prefer CDs and CD players- it's the same as having books. Unlike movies, I do listen to music over and over. Yet - CDs appear to have gone the way of the dinosaurs as well. Even the CD player in my car died, and it's not worth trying to replace. So now I'm floundering with my old iPod, iTunes, new smartphone, headphones, potential apps...*argh*

Nothing is working for me...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2019? Peavey Composer
2018 Sawchyn Beavertail
1982ish Shiraki Mandolin
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:20 am

CarbonElitist wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 pm
...who want us to bring back stick-shifts because automatic transmission makes us lazy...
Incidentally, stick shifts are the norm in most parts of the world -- it is only in North America that automatics prevail. But, of course, many North Americans drive stick shifts, myself included, because I prefer it -- I think it is "better", and a whole lot more fun! Have you ever tried it?

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:20 am
CarbonElitist wrote:
...who want us to bring back stick-shifts because automatic transmission makes us lazy...
Incidentally, stick shifts are the norm in most parts of the world -- it is only in North America that automatics prevail. But, of course, many North Americans drive stick shifts, myself included, because I prefer it -- I think it is "better", and a whole lot more fun! Have you ever tried it?
Huh...I did not know that little factoid at the beginning. But the answer is yes. In fact my own car is a stick shift, so I have plenty of experience with them.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Wuuthrad wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 am
I think this picture speaks for itself no?
According to the cartier page this has a "quarz" movement. i.e. it is a digital watch but with an analogue display.

I agree with gitgeezer about analog vs digital displays. For many purposes analogue gauges are preferable because they make the rate of change easier to see and make the "range" of possible change more immediate.
Lovemyguitar wrote:
I have only rarely had the luxury of driving an automatic. In Europe there has always been a substantial premium on automatics. I can see no reason to use a stick shift is an automatic is available. Driving bumper to bumper is stop-start rush hour traffic in European cities will have you going to the doc with a sore shoulder and sore knees. Absolutely no fun. 5-6 gears is the norm now. You really notice it if you are changing from left hand drive to right hand drive and vice-versa.

jscott

Post by jscott » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:30 pm

another imaginary conversation from the near future: "Have you seen the new watches? They have a stem that you wind. No need for a battery!" "Brilliant! and it will save tons of landfill--AND on production waste. Those batteries have a half life of six thousand years in a landfill."
Paul Weaver spruce modeled on a Hauser
Takamine C132S 1983 cedar

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:52 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm
Lovemyguitar wrote:
CarbonElitist wrote:
Incidentally, stick shifts are the norm in most parts of the world ... Have you ever tried it?
...yes. In fact my own car is a stick shift, so I have plenty of experience with them.
Oh, well, you did use the inclusive "us" in your rant against all these nameless and/or hypothetical people who apparently offend you by supporting traditions that you were supposedly rejecting. Whatever.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:23 pm

Bravo! Very neat proof that progress isn't necessarily upward.
Depends on the needs of the user.

Re e-books... well... I for one love them. I can enjoy reading so much more because I can adjust the type size and font, and on a nice glare-free screen. And I can hold hundreds of books on my device. For some of us, this is one bit of technology that's a boon. I guess I like the minimal aspects of it as well; so little to carry with me. In fact I'd love a digital music device but they're just too expensive right now, and not large enough.

But... I drive a stick, even though there's lots of heavy traffic in these parts. Have for 40 years. Yes, the new automatics are a lot peppier than they've ever been, shift faster... but a stick is fun, and gives the driver some sense of control over the car (well, it does for me, anyway). And it's getting to be such a rare skill now that actors often put "can drive a stick shift" on the special-skills section of their resumes. (Extra pay if you're driving that vintage car in background!)
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 am

My SUV has a standard transmission too! :mrgreen:

And, for what it's worth, I have a horse cart. And a harness. And a horse. I'm a bit rusty, but I think I can still put them altogether... :lol:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2019? Peavey Composer
2018 Sawchyn Beavertail
1982ish Shiraki Mandolin
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:

Tradition for "tradition's sake" is illogical and banal.

I agree that tradition for "tradition's sake" is sometimes illogical and banal. That said, I also like some traditions and will practice and endorse those traditions despite potential illogic and banality. I imagine that other people will do the same. I also, imagine that some people will not endorse some traditions because those traditions are potentially illogical and banal.
Andrew Arriaga

Board of Directors, Classical Revolution PDX
Guitar Instructor, Suzuki Stumptown
Music Editor, OCP

Return to “The Café”