young vs older; gear and playtime

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
georgemarousi

young vs older; gear and playtime

Post by georgemarousi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am

well, I was thinking that..

as a young person, you probably find yourself play 1000s of hours of a few $ guitar.
and as an older adult, you end up maybe manage to play only a few hours on a 1000s of $ guitar

quite a strange fact and food for thought.. :roll:
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Pavlos Gypas 1989
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

lagartija

Re: young vs older; gear and playtime

Post by lagartija » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Not surprising at all. :-D
When one is young, time is what you have most of. Resources are limited.
When one is old, time is at a premium, but a lifetime of toil has given one more resources than when one was young.
There is a saying that “Youth is wasted on the young.”
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

LK51

Post by LK51 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Being retired I have found the situation to be ironically different. Time and other resources (including an unlimited and often free internet community of players) are finally more plentiful. Equipment is less of a burden to acquire when needed (if needed) since I already have most of what I might need and there are no other competing responsibilities like children, mortgage, debt, etc. to be weighed against available funds.

However now that I have the time and many new insights may come into techniques and music theory (note I am not trained, but self-taught), I find physical restraints like flexibility and endurance are the “new limits” one faces. Yes youth may often be “wasted on the young,”, but the corollary is “old age ain’t for sissies.” Either way playing guitar is one of the great pleasures of life. Then play on…
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e

johnd

Post by johnd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm

LH51 - RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 pm

I wasn’t clear on exactly what I meant by “time is at a premium” when one is older. I meant that the number of years left in your life to attain the skill you wish is more obviously limited than it was when you were young.

Yes, getting old is not for sissies ...I can say that from personal experience. :-|
However, considering the alternatives...
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm

If your logic is correct, George, with the collection of guitars you own, you must hardly play at all.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm

There is no material object in the world that is more expensive than Time. I have often wondered how many potentially gifted writers, musicians, and visual artists will forever be lost to Humanity because they did not have the time to develop their Art. Consequently, how many practicing charlatans believe they have earned the title "artist" by their popular appeal to the unwashed masses. Playing again . . . Rognvald P.S. Ask a dying billionaire who fears death how much he would give to live another 30 days.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Shadowbelle

Post by Shadowbelle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:47 pm

georgemarousi : oh boy, have you got my number! Actually, I found the same thing when I was playing online games (MMORPGs), which I gave up for the guitar. Younger people advanced their characters by spending endless hours playing. Those of us with fewer hours took longer or spent more (real) money. I used to get quite cross with gamers who referred to their time as "dedication", but disparaged those of us with less free time as "lazy".

Rognvald: Check Ursula K. Le Guin's story "An Die Musik", in which she explores exactly your point about lost potential. It's in her collection Orsinian Tales.

Then again ... I can buy myself nice guitars, but I can't buy myself stretchy fingers.
2016 Cordoba C10; cedar top, rosewood sides & back, mahogany neck
2011 Washburn WD35S; spruce top, tamo ash sides & back, mahogany neck

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Shadowbelle wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:47 pm
georgemarousi : oh boy, have you got my number! Actually, I found the same thing when I was playing online games (MMORPGs), which I gave up for the guitar. Younger people advanced their characters by spending endless hours playing. Those of us with fewer hours took longer or spent more (real) money. I used to get quite cross with gamers who referred to their time as "dedication", but disparaged those of us with less free time as "lazy".

Rognvald: Check Ursula K. Le Guin's story "An Die Musik", in which she explores exactly your point about lost potential. It's in her collection Orsinian Tales.

Then again ... I can buy myself nice guitars, but I can't buy myself stretchy fingers.

Thanks, Shadow . . . I'll check it out. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Barry Guy

Post by Barry Guy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:49 am

Hi,
I am new to this forum situation, we all have the same amount of time, we have today.
Music is a wonderful gift, it does not matter how many guitars we have, we can only play one at a time. I have found that lying in bed after 6am becomes very uncomfortable because of age related aches and pains, so I get up and play my guitar quietly. I also play accordion which can’t be played quietly so I purchased a Roland digital accordion which can be played with headphones. I also play clarinet and saxophone which I can’t play in my apartment so I play these by our Light house, the benefits of living by the seaside. Stranger on the shore is very appropriate.
I am 74 and have decided that I should now please myself.
Good playing everyone

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:27 am

The same thing can be said for cars. When I was young I had an old used chevy in which I spent hours every day. Now I have two expensive vehicles bought new that I use less than one hour a day.

Guther

Post by Guther » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:51 am

I enjoyed this thread and can relate. I remember making an $80 suit look like a thousand bucks, for example. This is a good reminder that it is not the quality of the instrument (musical, vehicle, clothing, etc.) but the action of creating music that is most valuable. It reminds me of city dwellers with extremely capable 4x4 SUV's that never make it past a mall parking lot (Mall Crawlers).
Guther

dng

Post by dng » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 pm

well... what did I do with my time?

when I was younger I had a job till 6:00pm in the evening, get home at 7:00pm, have dinner and stat practicing/playing at 8:00 till midnight. Now I am retired and play less ...

so I wonder what did I do with my time? :D
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Return to “The Café”