Should the show go on?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jason
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Should the show go on?

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm

I play in a duo and we are scheduled to play a concert this afternoon. The problem is, its snowing outside, and weather reports say it isn't going to get any better, and to make matters even worse, I'm in day four of a lung infection. I'm struggling with making a decision, perform, or cancel? Any input?
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

User avatar
Mollbarre
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 am
Location: Canada

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Cancel. Reschedule.

Lung health trumps.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

burtong
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by burtong » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Never an easy decision. For me, as an amateur, if this is a small concert that I was putting on for others for free and I know that people are travelling some distance in the bad weather and there are elderly people who will not manage the snow and I would feel responsible for their safety, then I would cancel.
If this were a paid concert, where I am only one of many performers, at a venue where they are responsible for the safety of the people arriving and leaving ... then i would feel that the show must go on. My own personal feeling. I am not the one with the lung infection. :-( If you cannot play because of your health, perhaps you can cancel your piece or get someone else to play it; i would ask my teacher for example.

User avatar
kloeten
Posts: 1086
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by kloeten » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Go! Perform and recover afterwards. Will make you feel good.

Rognvald
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Jason,
The weather issue is not relevant . . . the health problem is important. Cancel. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Jason
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:09 pm

We ended up cancelling after all, going to reschedule. Better safe than sorry. :)
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Scania

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by joachim33 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Get well soon.

burtong
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Should the show go on?

Post by burtong » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Well done.

Return to “The Café”