What to do while waiting out an injury?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
twang

What to do while waiting out an injury?

Post by twang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:32 pm

I banged up my left hand pretty badly in the shop the other day (don't ask, I was being stupid). It's going to be at least a couple of weeks before I'll be able to play. I'd like to put my usual practice time to good musical use. Any and all ideas would be appreciated.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

Briant

Re: What to do while waiting out an injury?

Post by Briant » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Sharpen a pencil, read through some scores with a glass of wine. If you can choose a new piece to study it should help the time pass productively.
Good luck.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Right hand practice?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

rfwagner

Post by rfwagner » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:25 am

I broke my left pinky several months ago and passed some of the time learning right hand piano scales and chords on an electric keyboard we had lying around. It was actually pretty fun and helped keep my spirits up until I could play guitar again.

Richard

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:18 am

I don’t know your level of academic involvement so this could be redundant but consider reading about music history, theory and related topics. You can use the time to add new perspectives to your music studies.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 am

This probably doesn't apply to you, but I'd do all the things I had always been procrastinating while playing guitar instead. Look at the time away from the guitar as a wonderful opportunity.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am

twang wrote:I'd like to put my usual practice time to good musical use.
Listening is one of the most musically worthwhile activities you can indulge in. Sit down, don't try and kill two birds with one stone by simultaneously undertaking some other task, just actively listen ... to phrasing, texture, timbre, expression etc., etc.

Choose something pertinent - e.g. if you'd like to play Bach better then listen to the 'cello suites or violin partias on the those instruments, if you prefer the romantic Spanish repertoire then go for Albéniz at the piano or maybe de Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain.

You get the idea ...

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:39 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am
, if you prefer the romantic Spanish repertoire then go for Albéniz at the piano or maybe de Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain.
I concur; I've spent quite a few hours of downtime listening to this- absolutely recommended for interpretation and enjoyment,
and in fact I prefer this to almost every guitar version:

Searching de Falla ATM: cheers!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:46 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am
twang wrote:I'd like to put my usual practice time to good musical use.
Listening is one of the most musically worthwhile activities you can indulge in. Sit down, don't try and kill two birds with one stone by simultaneously undertaking some other task, just actively listen ... to phrasing, texture, timbre, expression etc., etc.

Choose something pertinent - e.g. if you'd like to play Bach better then listen to the 'cello suites or violin partias on the those instruments, if you prefer the romantic Spanish repertoire then go for Albéniz at the piano or maybe de Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain.

You get the idea ...
Thanks for that Mark. How easy can't it happen to anyone? Just the other day I was using a hammer.W e all know what can happen if we miss that nail on the head. Sometimes I just take these things for granted. Imagine losing a finger or worse! Fortunately, there is a happy ending in this case.

twang

Post by twang » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks, I'll try all the ideas.

I can't wait to start playing again to see how this waltz that i'm mentally learning actually sounds and how good my fingering is.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Twang,

My suggestion is to look for new music to expand your repertoire while you are unable to actually play. Then you'll have some exciting new things to explore when you're back in commission. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kind Regards,
Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Leonie Kaye

Post by Leonie Kaye » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 am

I injured my left wrist before christmas....have had ex-rays and ultrasounds... and they are thinking it is rheumatoid arthritis and I was devastated. after about a month I had a cortisone injection to relieve the pain... it has taken another month but I can now play without pain..what Joy!!!😃 My teacher suggested that I brush up on rhythm ..changing from one to another using percussion with my right hand while "hanging in there"

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:01 am

Thanks for the post. We tend to take good health for granted (hands) and don't think about how bad an injury could be to our playing. I always try to be careful when working but the strangest thing happened to me. I was walking out the back door and hit the back of my hand on the end of the couch...just smacked it on the couch as I was walking along. That was a few weeks ago and I'm just now starting to play pain free. I still can't believe it happened to me. You can never be too careful with the hands.

Hope you get better. I had to stop playing so I just read music and organized the studio and listened to music.

Take care,
David
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “The Café”