Fireplace & Guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
heyjc011

Fireplace & Guitar

Post by heyjc011 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Am I correct saying I should NOT leave my classical guitar in the same room that has a fireplace? With this recent, frigid cold weather, we find ourselves having a fire more frequently than ever. I keep my classical guitar in the same room as the fireplace since that is where I practice. While I do occasionally put my humidifier in the sound hole, is this sufficient to allow me to keep the guitar in the fireplace room or must I relegate it to the other colder rooms?
Appreciate the feedback! Stay warm!
Jeff

Michael.N.

Re: Fireplace & Guitar

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 pm

Get an accurate hygrometer it will tell you all that you need to know. A hard guitar case is also a way of creating a micro climate. A soundhole humidifier will be no way as effective if the guitar is left in an open room as it is when stored in a guitar case.
Historicalguitars.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Sounds like your room is akin to a kiln, so, kiln dried wood?

I'd move it to another rooom. Guitars are like Goldilocks... not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, not too dry,
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Very low humidity occurs when the surrounding outside air is cold and dry, when you heat up the air in a closed space, the Relative Humidity drops. If you have a chimney then the room is vented to the surrounding air and is not well sealed. When you light a fire then the air is heated and will be drier. But probably not as dry as a fairly well sealed room warmed by radiators or hot air. The only way to check is to get a reasonably good hygrometer. Something like the Caliber IV.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:30 pm

I would keep your guitar in another room if I were you. Woodstove/fireplace heat is very dry, not to mention searing hot if you get too close. Guitars don't like either :)
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

heyjc011

Post by heyjc011 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback; I will purchase a hygrometer. Apologies if it was provided, but what is the level of relative humidity I am looking to achieve in the room to ensure the guitar isn't damaged?

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Smoke (if the flue malfunctions and even the little bit that escaped the fire place) might be a problem, as well as hot ashes when you tend the fire and one escapes and floats across the room then settles on the guitar.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:48 pm

but what is the level of relative humidity
40-60% is good, I can go a little higher as I live in a maritime climate and I don't use a dehumidifier. I do notice that my RH is low at the moment and I do like the sound of my guitar today. Or at least I think I do, its very hard to be truly objective.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 am

robin loops wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 pm
one escapes and floats across the room then settles on the guitar.

Love it...always good to have a sense of humor. :lol:
What about burning the house down?
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 am

Just make sure you grab your guitars on the way out. I keep mine (guitars) right next to my go-bag.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:55 pm

I keep my guitar in its case about 6 feet from the fireplace. It doesn’t get too hot nor too cold. I should mention my fireplace is a closed fireplace and it heats softly via the soapstone in which the heat is stored. I wouldn’t leave it this close to an open fireplace.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 pm

I keep my guitar in the case & on the other side of the room when I'm running my wood stove. Simply because the wood stove sucks the moisture out of the room.

With just my humidifier running, I can easily maintain 40% humidity in the room. But when the wood stove is fired up, I'm lucky if the humidity is above 30%
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2016 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Of course, another consideration of keeping a guitar near a fireplace is how good is your impulse control, given the close proximity of an easy option for rash action if you are apt to get frustrated in your practice.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 am

I don’t see the fireplace per se as a problem as long as you keep you guitar away from sparks and extreme heat (very close to the fire.) I would worry about humidity too. We don’t a.l have perfect practice spaces with no other uses. You are reminding me I have been bad with my humidifier.
Dory

Return to “The Café”