Like a Motherless Child - Break from the CG

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
rojarosguitar

Like a Motherless Child - Break from the CG

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:16 am

Hello, here for a little pause:

I'm playing the alto saxophone here :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

DocStevens

Re: Like a Motherless Child - Break from the CG

Post by DocStevens » Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 am

Nice technique on the sax! I bet you could transfer that to guitar, and also sound superb... Well except to purists! But I'd like it. Good job!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks for your kind comment!
Best wishes Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri May 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Smokey! Really enjoyed your sax Robert and, as ever, your engaging visuals. Thank you!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks a lot!

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Oh you are just being arrogant here...you got chops on guitar and you have an embouchure to boot...no fair...no fair.

Nice work.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 pm

:lol:

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 am

DocStevens wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 am
Nice technique on the sax! I bet you could transfer that to guitar, and also sound superb... Well except to purists! But I'd like it. Good job!
+++

Purists would only blink if that guitar were not an archtop O:-)

Who's the guy on the 6-string cello (if that's what it is), playing with what looks like a renaissance bow?!
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 pm

The 6 string cello (indeed) is played by Muneer B Fennell, one of the first jazz cellists ever and the one who pushed the frontiers most IMHO.

If you look him up in the internet you will find that he has played with so many great musicians. He has a full classical cello education (he was in the same competition in which Yoyoma won the first prize) but changed over to Jazz very early and very consequently. I have the great honor, luck and pleasure to be able to work with him since many many years (you will find early traces of our collaboration are 8 years old, but by that time we already had worked together several years...) See here

The present formation with the poet and singer Jazzmin Tutum is quite fresh; we came together in the beginning of December 2018 ...

That was our first published recording:

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks!

Do you know something about his choice of bow? It's been a long-standing pet peeve of mine that "period instruments" should be eminently suitable for jazz and many kinds of "folk" music. After all, much of the profane/secular music from the various classical genres is related quite closely to popular music of the time. I have never been really been able to prove it as I never learned to play other than from scores. Trying to fix that now (and not exactly going anywhere fast).

Outside of stringed instruments, a baroque bassoon should work wonderfully in klezmer, for instance.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Muneer is using Incredibow (tm) only. He was using all kinds of fancy expensive wood bows, but he had to rehair them every 4-6 weeks (he has a lot of weight in his playing :wink: ).

Accidentally I discoevered Incredibow for him and he's totally set. He says after a re-adjusting phase this bow is the best bow he has ever played, very felxible and usbale with many different bowing techniques.

His oldest Incredibow is probably 4 or 5 years now and it didn't (absolutely no exaggeration here) not a single (!) hair. He has only broken one incredibow during a performance when he was dong some kind of sword fighting kung fu with the bow. It just broke during one of his famous supersonic strikes. (t was not through playing cello! He's not looking back to wooden bows even once! The sturdiness of these artificial hair is just stunning...

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Hmm, good for him. I for one don't particularly care for that kind of (excusez le mot) antics, find they rarely add anything.

A performer friend of mine from long ago (Jane Henry) had another kind of bow in her toolbag (I can only call it like that) that would never break a single hair: it didn't have a single strand at all, but instead a thick nylon wire tightly wound along its entire length. She showed me that when I asked her if she wouldn't write something contemporary for baroque instruments (she was also a period performer) :)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 am

RJVB wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Hmm, good for him. I for one don't particularly care for that kind of (excusez le mot) antics, find they rarely add anything.

A performer friend of mine from long ago (Jane Henry) had another kind of bow in her toolbag (I can only call it like that) that would never break a single hair: it didn't have a single strand at all, but instead a thick nylon wire tightly wound along its entire length.
Well, nothing to do with me, you are of course free to think whatever you prefer. But to call a bow that works better for him (though on the same principle like traditional bows: having a lot of hairs), is much more durable and more economical 'antics' is maybe a sign of a slight prejudice ... no problem with me, I just answered your previous question about the kind of bow he uses. As he is not moving within 'early music' circles, he's not obliged to keep classical 'equipment etiquette' :D

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

Of course, and sorry if I expressed myself in a confusing way. I wasn't referring to bow, I wouldn't blame anyone who plays with that kind of bow if that's what's adapted for the music they're playing. I'd have been the first to adapt strings that sound like gut, feel like gut but never break or go out of tune.
What I referred to is a style of playing that for me is more about show than musicality (and apparently requires an indestructible bow). That's independent from the music being played, but it may indeed be based in my experience in period performance (though that movement too has its share of people who seem to confound "authentic" with "wild and crazy for the sake of being different").

Prejudice? Yes, in the sense that I know I'll get annoyed quickly if I'm watching a video of that kind of playing and that knowledge does make me less inclined to go onto youtube. Maybe I'll search for him on spotify, but there's so much other music left to discover (and learn, on an instrument that's still very new to me) ...

EDIT: there are (official) recordings of Joe Bonamassa's acoustic "evening" in Carnegie Hall on youtube, showing a merry band of probably equally accomplished musicians, some of which are more demonstrative about it than others without any obvious benefit (there must be something about cellos that brings out this aspect in the player!). Besides, isn't it the audience that should be dancing on the tables? ;)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 9:35 am

Well, it may appear so, but that is also a lot about the musical language of another type. Maybe something like, if you are German and you listen to Spanish, you may come up with the idea they just show off how many words per second they can bring out :lol: .

But seriously, knowing Muneer B Fennel for so long I'd be inclined to say that showing off is not his top priority :wink: though it may appear so to people with a less developed technique (which are very many). Never mind, not everything is for everybody ...:D

Return to “The Café”