which is better?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RJVB

Re: which is better?

Post by RJVB » Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 am

Right, you weren't talking about the States, I guess that explains the reference to Japanese systems and to the Beatles... :oops:
The history of Western music in Japan is not long, starting from mid 19th century
The Dutch had a trading post on Dejima, an artificial island outside Nagasaki, from 1641 until the mid 19th century. It seems a bit hard to believe there was no exposure to western music towards the end of that episode, when (quoting the Wikipedia article on Dejima):
Japan's oldest piano was introduced by Siebold in 1823, and later given to a tradesperson in the name of Kumaya (熊谷). The piano is today on display in the Kumaya Art Museum (熊谷美術館), Hagi City.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am

RJVB wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 am
Right, you weren't talking about the States, I guess that explains the reference to Japanese systems and to the Beatles... :oops:
The history of Western music in Japan is not long, starting from mid 19th century
The Dutch had a trading post on Dejima, an artificial island outside Nagasaki, from 1641 until the mid 19th century. It seems a bit hard to believe there was no exposure to western music towards the end of that episode, when (quoting the Wikipedia article on Dejima):
Japan's oldest piano was introduced by Siebold in 1823, and later given to a tradesperson in the name of Kumaya (熊谷). The piano is today on display in the Kumaya Art Museum (熊谷美術館), Hagi City.
Actually I ghost-wrote and researched parts of the ex's thesis of her doctor degree in music around the subject.

As far as the Western music performance (and not musical instruments) is concerned, the oldest record we can find is the sea funeral as aforementioned and/or Nikolai.

But we never know, Siebold might have had some home concerts, just like those on record in later years.

Edit PS: the first version of our national anthem was composed by an Englishman before the current version arranged by a Prussian.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 am

Exactly, just as his predecessors may have had, music being an important part of social life in the better-off Dutch classes in what we call the Golden Age. As I said, it's hard to imagine nothing of that got out of the gates, but not either that none of it left a lasting, recorded impression.

(PS: there ought to be a rule that every member at least show his country of residence ;) )
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Wed May 22, 2019 10:38 am

RJVB wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 am
(PS: there ought to be a rule that every member at least show his country of residence ;) )
Technically speaking I am a JP resident but have spent only a few weeks there for the last nine years or so.

Return to “The Café”