UFC - ESPN+ pay per view fiasco

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

UFC - ESPN+ pay per view fiasco

Post by soltirefa » Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Possibly nobody here gives a crap about this, but ...

The UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) made a deal with ESPN that started at the beginning of the year. Previously they had been on Fox Sports.

In order to watch the vast majority of the events you need to sign up to ESPN+ streaming subscription for around $5 a month. If you want to watch the pay per view events you need to buy that through ESPN+. The last pay per view event was a fiasco. People couldn't get the streaming connection.

Apparently there are lots of younger UFC viewers. Younger people like streaming more than TV, so this new model is geared towards them. But it's turning away many people who don't want to have to sign up for ESPN+ to buy pay per view, especially when it doesn't work.

I'm an old guy and I liked the way Fox Sports ran everything. I'm wondering if the UFC and ESPN will get their act together or if this model will crash and burn.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: UFC - ESPN+ pay per view fiasco

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm

I had to look up ESPN - Disney ... pah! Good luck.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Something similar happened in Canada two years ago with NFL Football. The "NFL Sunday Ticket" series (in which one could get every game) had long been available in Canada as a cable-TV add-on for those who wished to subscribe through their usual cable service. Then, two years ago, the NFL made an exclusive deal through a streaming service, and thus streaming was the only way for Canadians to get the subscription. It was a disaster -- the technology didn't work very well, for those who had it -- but many people didn't have it (or didn't want to watch TV that way), and there were a lot of very unhappy NFL football fans in the Great White North. The following year, NFL Sunday Ticket was back to a regular cable-service add-on, with the NFL apparently recognising their foray into exclusive streaming as a total failure. Maybe your UFC situation will crash and burn, too, and go back to Fox.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm

That's very interesting about NFL in Canada.

Apparently, there are a few "illegal" streaming services that I have heard are very easy to access that have the UFC streaming for free and it's just as good of quality. That's a nightmare for the UFC and ESPN. Who's gonna want to pay for something that doesn't always work when they can watch it for free?

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon May 13, 2019 7:15 pm

True enough -- and, it is most likely that the tech-savvy crowd who may tap into "unofficial" streaming are the very people that UFC/ESPN are trying to go after with their official streaming service, which seems pretty pointless, while at the same time alienating the more traditional TV-watching crowd who can't get the service at all.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm

and, it is most likely that the tech-savvy crowd who may tap into "unofficial" streaming are the very people that UFC/ESPN are trying to go after with their official streaming service,
Exactly!

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon May 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Never heard of either UFC or ESPN. :-)
Don't have a TV anyway.

About the only sport that I have even the vaguest interest in is this.

Out on a laser with a baby sail yesterday.
1.jpg
Some other folks down the bay a bit when the sun was still shining about 30min earlier.
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 am

By the way, one of the greatest fighters of all time in the UFC is Canadian. Georges St-Pierre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_St-Pierre

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue May 14, 2019 3:00 am

I actually have absolutely no interest in UFC (or any sport, for that matter...). I do, however, know some major sports fans, and I hear about these things from them! :)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 am
By the way, one of the greatest fighters of all time in the UFC is Canadian. Georges St-Pierre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_St-Pierre
As a longtime UFC/Kickboxing fan, my vote is for Anderson Silva in his prime. . . an unstoppable, devastating fighter that crippled the majority of his opponents with devastating leg kicks and . . . a supreme athlete. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “The Café”