Ads You Hate/Dislike

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Ads You Hate/Dislike

Post by kirolak » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

I absolutely dislike the Grammerly Ad - it pops up everywhere, & the voice over is so grating to my ears that I turn it down at once, instantly defeating the purpose of the ad . . . the person speaking uses a grating, nasal tone like long fingernails on a blackboard, there is no elegance or beauty of line...no dynamics to speak of, no correct vocal production. . . is this the way we are expected to communicate nowadays? Grammar is one thing, but tone and inflection are what make me want to hear what someone has to say. To me, the voice is the window to the soul, more so than the eyes. Many modern speakers sound as if they are attacking someone, not conveying a message. To me, accent does not matter, but tone does. Language is surely a tonal, almost musical "event".

Am I alone in this, an old fogey who clings to old ideals?? :?

lagartija

Re: Ads You Hate/Dislike

Post by lagartija » Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm

No you are not alone. I don’t have a TV, and I listen to non commercial radio, but still, when they interview someone who uses “up-speak” , closes off their chest resonance so their tone is nasal, and uses vocal fry to try (I can only suppose) to give what they are saying more gravitas, I can’t concentrate on what they are saying. The tonal quality just irritates me so much that I can’t listen to the content.
I’m sorry to say that in my experience, it is generally done by young women. I don’t know where this affected style of speaking came from, but I really *really* wish they would stop.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Slightly off topic - anyone know how to trace the name of a voice actor from an advertisement?

There's a female voice-over, "Viking sponsors early evenings on ITV3", with precise diction and an accent that I just can't pin down - I don't hear it often (ITV3 is not a channel to spend time with) but it drives me nuts when I do.
Last edited by Mark Clifton-Gaultier on Wed May 15, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 am

So many ads, so little time.

Lottery and high powered car ads are damned annoying.
Help!

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 pm

I have a hate on for the GoRVing Canada "Bring Back Wildhood" ad. While I can appreciate the sentiment- I can't help but wonder who is supposed to pay for all this expensive freedom and spontaneity...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 pm

lagartija wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm
...when they interview someone who uses “up-speak” , closes off their chest resonance so their tone is nasal, and uses vocal fry to try (I can only suppose) to give what they are saying more gravitas, I can’t concentrate on what they are saying.
I feel similarly. Especially regarding vocal fry.

To all:
To hear vocal fry: search YT for "The Vocal Fry Epidemic". The first 30 seconds are brilliant. That's all I watched. No idea what happens after that.

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 am

I really hate the massive banner ads that NBC uses while one show is playing to advertise another show. They are so tall that they easily cover about a third of the screen (they also cover the entire width) and seem to have more processed colors. My TIVO has a "skip" feature, which allows me to skip most standard commercials if the network in question allows it.
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

slidika

Post by slidika » Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am

I disklike the Grammarly ads, as I think the product actually assists in what is commonly called the 'dumbing down' of people learning a language. What does someone do if asked to write a paragraph about something and Grammarly is not available? It is not hard to imagine errors with spelling, grammar and/or punctuation creeping in.
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

bear

Post by bear » Thu May 16, 2019 11:55 am

Political ads and others that mislead the listener.
Ads for drugs that address invented diseases, with side effects that are worse than what they pretend to cure. There's one I saw recently for AIDS. Take it if you don't have HIV but have a higher risk of getting it. It won't keep you from getting HIV but you should take it anyway.
There's another for narcolepsy. It says that if your teenager is tired a lot he may have narcolepsy-take this.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu May 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 pm
Slightly off topic - anyone know how to trace the name of a voice actor from an advertisement?

There's a female voice-over, "Viking sponsors early evenings on ITV3", with precise diction and an accent that I just can't pin down - I don't hear it often (ITV3 is not a channel to spend time with) but it drives me nuts when I do.
Sometimes ads are available on YouTube. That might be a start. You might try contacting the sponsor or the ad agency as well. Good Luck!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm

In the U.S. there are some anti-smoking ads using clips of cancer and heart disease victims that are supposed to be scary enough to bring home the message. I will be limiting my tv watching until the ad campaign exhausts itself. I find the ads exploitative and revolting. I don't think they work. The target audience is likely puffing away and unaffected.
The truly addicted don't "scare easy". There must be another way!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 pm

lagartija wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm
No you are not alone. I don’t have a TV, and I listen to non commercial radio, but still, when they interview someone who uses “up-speak” , closes off their chest resonance so their tone is nasal, and uses vocal fry to try (I can only suppose) to give what they are saying more gravitas, I can’t concentrate on what they are saying. The tonal quality just irritates me so much that I can’t listen to the content.
I’m sorry to say that in my experience, it is generally done by young women. I don’t know where this affected style of speaking came from, but I really *really* wish they would stop.
Yes, especially vocal fry. . . .makes my voice hurt just listening to it

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi Mark

I googled:-
"viking sponsors early evenings on itv3 voice"
and it came back with Louisa Gummer

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun May 19, 2019 9:17 am

DaveLloyd wrote:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:There's a female voice-over, "Viking sponsors early evenings on ITV3", with precise diction and an accent that I just can't pin down - I don't hear it often (ITV3 is not a channel to spend time with) but it drives me nuts when I do.
Hi Mark
I googled: "viking sponsors early evenings on itv3 voice" and it came back with Louisa Gummer
Thanks for taking the trouble Dave - in fact I had already tried that phrase (and various other combinations) and found Ms. Gummer. Although she provided some earlier voice-overs for Viking this one isn't her.

I've been to the production company's site looking for actors' names ... to no avail ... rather sad really. ... I've now seen far too many advertisements for a product that I have absolutely no interest in when I should have been practising. Talk about displacement activity ...

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 pm

I've been to the production company's site looking for actors' names ... to no avail ... rather sad really. ... I've now seen far too many advertisements for a product that I have absolutely no interest in when I should have been practising. Talk about displacement activity ...
I can remember the first time I heard Anna Jones on Sky News. I was absolutely fascinated by her precise diction.

Return to “The Café”