I promise to stop torturing...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dan5001

I promise to stop torturing...

Post by dan5001 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:33 pm

... pieces that are too difficult for me.
I guess like many self taught folk, I've spent years half learning and mangling some of the classics.
So, now I'm just going to play easy pieces beautifully.
My question is, can anyone recommend simple pieces that, played expressively, can sound great. My level is I would say around lagrima, mia favorita, slightly sub sons de carillhoes etc.

Ps, on reflection, I will continue to torture cavatina and the first Asturias triplet section but no more than 3 days a week.

Thanks all 🙂

Steve O

Re: I promise to stop torturing...

Post by Steve O » Wed May 15, 2019 3:36 am

La Paloma and Habanera from Carmen sound nice and reasonable arrangements can be found.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 am

You’ll find that now that you are going to be working on pieces within your range of ability, that not only will you learn new pieces much more quickly and play them better, but that your overall technique will improve at a more steady rate.

Some of the 20 Sor studies (Segovia) are pretty musical, not too difficult, and serve useful didactic purposes. 2, 3, and 5 are a good starting point. An anthology of pieces ranging from below your level to just above is a good resource to have and read something new from it on a regular basis (daily, weekly, depending on your routine and schedule).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 am

dan5001 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:33 pm
So, now I'm just going to play easy pieces beautifully.
My question is, can anyone recommend simple pieces that, played expressively, can sound great.
Thanks all 🙂
  • Guitar Moments II, III, IV anthology available at https://www.classical-guitar-school.com/en/Collections. These are the best in my opinion.
  • The Sor exercises (opus 44, 60, 35, 31, 6, and 29 in order of difficulty) also contain many beautiful pieces and with a very wide range of genres, but all in early Romatic style. Available on this site.
  • The works of Antonio Cano, available on this site.
In fact, take a look at all the music available on this site, because much of it is not difficult. And the graded lessons of Prof DelCamp are also a good source. However, they tend to pieces that require heavy-duty knowledge of music interpretation of the period.
Finally, I have a collection of more than 3.000 partituras for solo classical guitar all from public domain sources, which I am happy share if you have a way of receiving massive amounts of PDF files. Other than the music of Makarov, which I collected as a curiosity, the rest is all playable and reflects the entire repertoire of the classical guitar with exception of 20th century music that is not yet in the public domain (and much of which I do not care for).
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks I think I'll try the sor no 5 ☺️

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Is there a good edition of sor opus 35 no 22 with fingering? There seem to be a few out there ...

Thanks

dofrenzy

Post by dofrenzy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:02 pm

I certainly understand what you mean by "torturing", but try instead to view it as "exploring your limitations"!

One of my favorite collections of pieces is from a book of arrangements by Myrna Sislen called "First Classical Pieces for Guitar", including Op35#22 w/fingering. They progress in difficulty starting with very simple and easy (which are, ironically, the most difficult to play "musically"....can I get witness?!?!)....anyway, it is a fantastic collection that I have been playing from for about 20 years.

I decided many years ago that any fool with a guitar can butcher RdlA and Leyenda; that is the easiest thing there is that can be done with a guitar.

Compare that to sitting down with a great collection of wonderful pieces and easily filling 30 minutes with beautifully played CG music. No memorizing, no really hard "work" per se....just sight-reading comfortably and, possibly most important, riding the wave of music.

Pacho-fernandez

Post by Pacho-fernandez » Wed May 15, 2019 7:32 pm

If you tell me the kind of music you like I could recommend some....for example in a more modern style you can try “home “
from Andrew York or from the Album de la inocencia from Eduardo Martin “mirándote”. This last one is a wonderful piece of medium difficulty : . If you like more classical style I could recommend some as well. Depends if you like more baroque, romantic, modern or contemporary.

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks again all. Started sor 35, 22. It's really a great piece, especially the slow Segovia version. Should keep me occupied for the next few weeks.

Return to “The Café”