Tuning down to low D

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Conall

Re: Tuning down to low D

Post by Conall » Mon May 20, 2019 10:36 am

kirolak wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 am
Conall wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am
kirolak wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:22 pm
I actually don't know why I have this hangup - my heart races & I have a ridiculous sense of dread when I do it, quite ridiculous! There is no problem in setting the correct pitch, I have a fairly reliable tuner, & I enjoy the richness of tone once I manage to force myself to actually do it. Perhaps it is because of having been trained years ago on a 10-string guitar, though that makes no sense even as I write the words.
What?! You have a 10 string and are yusing 6 string dropped D?

I have an 11 string (low D included) so don't worry about tuning down to D! The only problem I used to have with dropped D on 6 strings was the fact that in performance it doesn't always stay in tune if switching between E & D.

OK I'll admit it is sometimes easier to play dropped D on the 11 string (eg Capricho Arabe) because your thumb keeps hitting the 6th since you expect D to be immediately above the 5th string but I think it's worth persisting if you have an extended range guitar.

And yes, dropped D on 6 string sounds nice for pieces in D, Dm etc - more resonance.
No, I don't have the 10-string any more. . . it was stolen years ago'which " broke my heart", & I stopped playing for many years. :(
Oh S**t! Sorry to hear that! I'm not surprised it broke your heart! Adopting 11 strings has given me a massive incentive to start practising seriously again. I hope you eventually manage to save up enough for another 10 string.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 am

I do the same most of the time: one guitar for drop-d and another for normal.
But for flamenco I tune for rondena on my one and only flamenco guitar.

Drop-d means not only instable tuning for the first 10-20 minutes, but also a hidden issue on the agenda: buzzing. Drop-d may have some buzzing that does not happen when tuned to E, especially in ff to fff range. I had it once that let me replace the saddle for slightly higher action.
obviously rondena does not have that issue, as buzz is part of the flamenco tone, more or less.

Mode

Post by Mode » Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am

Maybe this helps countering the perception: changing the tuning helps with the string longevity as it changes the wear spots at the frets: think you’re doing it to help your guitar :)

daldal64

Post by daldal64 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am
Ok just In case I'm not the only person dumb enough not to have realised this....
I used to dislike the faff of tuning down. Then my guitar teacher said, hey it's just 2.5 turns of the peg (900 degrees) so now I do that and it's close enough I don't bother tuning it.
I guess different pegs may require a different number.
Ha! I never thought of that. So simple. I’ll figure out how many turns on my guitar. Cheers for that.

Dave

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Glad it helped. 🙂

dofrenzy

Post by dofrenzy » Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am
Ok just In case I'm not the only person dumb enough not to have realised this....
I used to dislike the faff of tuning down. Then my guitar teacher said, hey it's just 2.5 turns of the peg (900 degrees) so now I do that and it's close enough I don't bother tuning it.
I guess different pegs may require a different number.
Yes! But the way I learned it is "9 turns back, 6 turns up". The 9 turns back releases the string tension that might otherwise cause the string to "creep" out of tune.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm

dofrenzy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm
... I learned it is "9 turns back, 6 turns up". The 9 turns back releases the string tension that might otherwise cause the string to "creep" out of tune.
Yes, this is what I learned, too (although the number of turns can vary for each guitar's tuning gears). The idea is that the string is more stable if one tunes up to it, rather than down to it, and I find this method to work better than just tuning down from E. I have also seen countless performers do it this way in a concert, down to C-ish, and then back up to D.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Sat May 25, 2019 6:50 am

Maybe since the 10 string was stolen it triggers something that gives you a reluctance to put it into a tuning that isn’t E normal.

Try writing more about it to bring it to consciousness. And if that’s not it I recommend pizza, sushi, hamburgers, ice cream, pudding, cake, pie and delicious drinks to sublimate your grief.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Return to “The Café”