Persistence and Determination: Doug Niedt

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
montana

Re: Persistence and Determination: Doug Niedt

Post by montana » Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 am

Thanks Peter....on that note im outta here

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 am

Peter Lovett wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 am
For all those who criticise Mr Niedt's book, I have a suggestion - READ IT.

You will then find out what it takes to be successful in the music business; whether it be classical guitar or something else. After reading it you will have a much better idea of why so many set out to be professional musicians and why so few, relatively speaking, fail to achieve. The lessons contained therein are also applicable in far wider fields than music.
No thanks. I’ve read this “positive mindset” stuff before and it leaves me cold. It generally involves trying to mould the reader into being something they’re not and they’re very often accompanied by pseudoscientific and/or quasi-religious/spiritual nonsense.

Of course having a positive mindset is a good thing but that’s hardly original is it? I don’t need to pay Mr Neidt to tell me that. And besides, how does Mr Neidt explain the success of countless musicians who definitely do not have a “positive mindset” and yet are successful anyway?

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri May 24, 2019 12:28 pm

"I understand where your coming from Rasqeo. And yes, we should shut down every conservatory and university music program (all instruments) send them home and say it's just not worth it." Montana

Hi, M,
I often wonder what is the current status of Music programs here in the US when Liberal Arts programs as History, Literature, Philosophy, Anthropology, etc. are declining and taking a back seat to Business, Tech and the Practical Sciences. And, unless a person was choosing a career in teaching, why would parents be willing to pay a minimum 100K for a college education in the Arts at a state university that has such meager prospects in the short term after graduation as far as salaries/wages? Does that mean we should close Music and Art programs nationwide as you remarked(tongue in cheek) or is it the responsibility of these Universities to educate incoming freshmen as to their earning potential and job prospects after graduation? Of all the musicians with whom I performed professionally in the '60s, '70s, and '80s, none has remained in music as a career. And, the reason they left was that they could not earn a steady income from performance needed to marry, buy a house, raise a family, etc. So, what do parents do today if they have a musically gifted child who must make their way in the world after graduation? They must get a double major in some practical field as a safeguard when a career in Music has not been achieved. However, back to point . . . the question then should be asked, if one adopted Doug's above mantra, would things be different? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 pm

This was a good video, thanks Rognvald. :)

Doug does NOT say anything of which we haven't heard before, nor already knew about. In this day and age of mentoring gurus it's almost become cliché. Of course, he does make very valid points. But, I still believe there's more to it than just that - just my 2 cents.

@ 1:00, "In fact, sometimes it will seem like a demon has been especially assigned to you, to throw as many discouraging experiences in your way as possible." He pretty much hit the nail on the head on that one, I must say! lol

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks Rognvald...good video.

In my working life, I was a middle school special education teacher (40 years-same school) and I learned quickly the best way to help the students was to teach them to adapt or find alternative ways to learn. Persistence and determination reminds me of trying to drag a hundred pound bag of cement across the lawn to build a wall. It might be easier to use a wheelbarrow. It's true, virtually anyone can learn just about anything they put their mind or effort too but it's also true the job can be easier. Make use of the thing we carry on our shoulders. Use some intelligence...think about what your trying to accomplish and don't just try to muscle your way through it.

If there are problems or major difficulties in your playing, stop and think of a solution. If you can't memorize a piece for example, research the best way to do it or experiment with a technique that works for you individually. Use your brain...not raw power or unchecked emotion. And if your only motivation for playing CG is money there are easier ways to get rich. Play and love what you're doing and it will come across to the listeners.

Twonote
Guitralchemist
David :fume:

All the money in the world can't buy you one second of time, but you can waste it for free.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

sseidler

Post by sseidler » Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 am

Thanks for posting this video. It is true, the tough people last. Doug is a great teacher and I like his videos a lot.
KR
Sabine
Taylor Academy 12 N
Fender 60 NT
Ibanez S521

If music be the food of love, play on
W. Shakespeare

Return to “The Café”