What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeremiah Lawson

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Wed May 01, 2019 1:32 pm

The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee by David Treuer, which is a kind of riposte to earlier writings on Native American/American Indian history. Interesting .. he's got a significantly dimmer view of AIM leadership than some other perspectives I've come across.

isleepinabed

Post by isleepinabed » Wed May 01, 2019 1:48 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm
isleepinabed wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:46 am
^What don't you like about it?
I decided to read the (German translation of the) novel "A Journey Around the World". I guess it was written at a time when traveling around the world was not so common and such a travel already very exotic and fascinating for most people/readers. For me the book is a plain travel report with weak and superficial figures and short stories that are quite boring to me. It gives a view on other nations and people typical in the colonial era. There are also thoughts / intellectual games / excursus that should be funny but aren't funny anymore in our times. The language is boring too (I know it's a translation) and there are no interesting figures or no magic in any scenes or conversations. Books that are completely different and on a much higher level in all aspects are "The Quiet American" by Graham Greene or "King Rat" by James Clavell, just to mention two.
Hmm... I haven't read any of the books you've mentioned. The Twain novels I have read however were very dependent on his language so maybe the translation might have something to do with it, although being dated is also a strong possibility. That being said I still enjoy old travel/adventure novels like Around the World in 80 Days and Mysterious Island from Jules Verne or Travels in the Interior of Africa by Mungo Park, who were (if I'm not mistaken) contemporaries of Twain.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:26 pm

If you love hard SF, I suggest The Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu. It starts off a little weird, but roll with it. It has the best explanation for the Fermi Paradox I've ever heard.
Anyone else read any other books by this author? I saw a reference to something called "The Dark Forest".

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Fri May 03, 2019 5:18 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:

If you love hard SF, I suggest The Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu. It starts off a little weird, but roll with it. It has the best explanation for the Fermi Paradox I've ever heard.
Anyone else read any other books by this author? I saw a reference to something called "The Dark Forest".
I’ve read the complete trilogy and they are worth reading for the ideas that they contain. I found the actual prose in the English translation very flat and almost dull.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat May 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks. It would be for the ideas.

montana

Post by montana » Sun May 05, 2019 7:10 am

About to start ... Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sun May 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Spring issues of Classical Guitar Magazine... It arrived weeks ago and I'm just getting to it
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

Fretnot

Post by Fretnot » Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Fly Girls: how five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:

The Dark Forest is third in the trilogy and refers to a somewhat satisfying answer to the Fermi Paradox.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 pm

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracey Chevalier
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

mswilks

Post by mswilks » Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Headed to Spain this week, so I'm reading Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" and re-re-re-reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

Guero

Post by Guero » Tue May 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Emily Brontë "Sturmhöhe" ("Wuthering Heights")
What a bunch of strange characters, eager to continue reading!

mcote

Post by mcote » Tue May 21, 2019 10:45 pm

"Solitary" by Albert Woodfox. It's about his 44 years in solitary confinement in an American prison. Also, "France in the World A New Global History" which is a (large) collection of short and readable essays about French history from prehistoric times to roughly the present.

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Tue May 28, 2019 10:18 am

I've just finished reading Michael King's Moriori, about a group of Polynesians who settled the Chatham Islands off the East Coast of New Zealand's South Island about 500 years ago, and the vissitudes they faced ever since they were discovered by The Rest of The World. Fascinating piece of history.

The Lord of the Rings. The Fellowship of the Ring. I've just reached Bree, and things are not looking good.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 am

just started the Bogdanovic book on counterpoint
The New Demons by Jacques Ellul
and ... assorted volumes of Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2.

Return to “The Café”