Brilliant Quotes... post them here!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Erik Zurcher

Brilliant Quotes... post them here!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 am

"The English country gentleman galloping after a fox - the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable"

[Oscar Wilde]
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

paulcroft

Re: Brilliant Quotes... post them here!

Post by paulcroft » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:48 pm

"Freedom is a word I rarely use." Donovan [Yellow is the ColoUr]

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:56 pm

“I’m not just involved in tennis but committed. Do you know the difference between involvement and commitment? Think of ham and eggs. The chicken is involved. The pig is committed.”
(Martina Navratilova)

I would love to be able to say I am committed to something except my family, but can't. Not sure this is that bad though.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:09 pm

“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

“Bring me A bowl of coffee before I turn into a goat”

Both by J.S. Bach
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Toccata

Post by Toccata » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.” --Ray Bradbury

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." --Mark Twain

Linda

Post by Linda » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 pm

From Stephen King's Shaw Shank Redemption, Andy Dufresne's words to Red " Get busy living, or get busy dying"

linea
linea

paulcroft

Post by paulcroft » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 pm

"Assassination is the extreme form of censorship." George Bernard Shaw.

Interestingly many of the best quotes on censorship are by Americans.

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 pm

paulcroft wrote:Interestingly many of the best quotes on censorship are by Americans.
Could it be because we Americans, as a society, have honed censorship into a fine art?
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

paulcroft

Post by paulcroft » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Wesjr1 wrote:
paulcroft wrote:Interestingly many of the best quotes on censorship are by Americans.
Could it be because we Americans, as a society, have honed censorship into a fine art?
I don't know - but it certainly seems unnecessarily popular. Just seems weird to me.

7snider7

Post by 7snider7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:22 am

I've had a glass or two of wine, but I read and reread Wesjr1's JS Bach quotes and laughed out loud every time -- and will again -- especially the one about how an instrument will play itself. Joy!

7snider7

Post by 7snider7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:30 am

Just encountered this one:

“Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun.”
-- Matt Groening

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:15 am

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way."

Bokonon (Vonnegut)

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:18 am

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't."
Anatole France

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:59 pm

"Shut up," he explained.

---Ring Lardner

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:57 pm

paulcroft wrote:
Wesjr1 wrote:
I don't know - but it certainly seems unnecessarily popular. Just seems weird to me.
My take is, Europeans get used to heavy censorship since Medieval, at least. Is became integral part of European life. Americans, being a young nation, are still getting used to (self)censorship, and are still trying to find the golden middle point. Just look at obviously overdone "Political correctness" policies, which became so efficient because nobody wants to be sued and to pay huge legal fees.
Last edited by Vlad Kosulin on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Return to “The Café”