Petition to ban the piano

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
malc laney

Re: Petition to ban the piano

Post by malc laney » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Most Pianists don't even know what a CG is, and vile-innits etc would stoke the CG burning fire if they were made to play with it!

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:09 pm

Seven pianists have been honored with knighthoods (or the equivalent damehood): George Shearing, András Schiff, Myra Hess, Arthur Rubinstein, Clifford Curzon, Alfred Brendel, and Moura Lympany. No guitarist has ever been knighted, though Julian Bream was given a subordinate level of the Order of the British Empire, a kind of backhand for those deemed not worthy of knighthood. John Williams has never been officially honored in any way.

What’s going on here? Obviously a conspiracy of some sort, that can only be corrected by the banishment of the piano!

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:25 pm

honored with knighthoods
While I see that you wish for parity, I would ask:

Who needs honours when making music is the highest station? Who cares for societies' pretensions?

Furthermore, I disagree with the whole premise of this post. All musical instruments are fabulous. The more musical instruments (of any kind), the merrier we are and the more enriched culture becomes.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 pm

CLOTH EARS we are not talking about the arts and sensitivity, we are talking about the Piano, not the Fortepiano,and the meglomaniacs that play them.Some of us have tried to make music with them and are still on medication/or expensive therapy.Please tell us of your PLAYING experiences,and if they are extensive and life enhancing there might be a recantation!

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:41 am

Your post is unclear malc. Also I find your capitalization unnecessary and threatening. What are you saying exactly? Who is the 'we' you refer to? Why does your first sentence ramble and not make a concise point? Who are these megalomaniacs that play Fortepianos? What has that got to do with my post? I suggest better punctuation and shorter sentences.

My first three sentences clearly relate to gitgeezer's post about honours. The OP is talking about a petition to ban the piano which I state in my final paragraph that I disagree with. I do not require your permission to state this or need to meet your required level of 'PLAYING experiences'. I did accidentally type 'premise of this post' instead of 'premise of this thread' but my intended meaning was still clear. To be honest, I do not understand your reply because I was talking to another user and the OP.

Pianos are just great. Some people that touch them are also great. Some people who touch guitars are great. People with ego problems are not great. I would not ban bicycles just because some idiots ride on pavements.

fauxEspanol

Post by fauxEspanol » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 am

Ban all pianos, all the Knights of the Round Table, and people with no sense of humor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFHnb5cfpqg

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Do we include electronic keyboards,as i have used players in ensemble, and they can make lots of sounds and can respond dynamically (they have volume controls!) ?

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:47 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:

All musical instruments are fabulous.
Bagpipes?

Oh, wait a minute ... you did say musical instruments didn't you ...
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 pm

malc laney wrote:Do we include electronic keyboards,as i have used players in ensemble, and they can make lots of sounds and can respond dynamically (they have volume controls!) ?
Alas, we must ban electronic keyboards as well, because the best ones can be tuned and moderated to sound very much like pianos. And considering that their practitioners are really frustrated pianists, they must be banished along with their faux pianos.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:08 am

gitgeezer wrote:
malc laney wrote:Do we include electronic keyboards,as i have used players in ensemble, and they can make lots of sounds and can respond dynamically (they have volume controls!) ?
Alas, we must ban electronic keyboards as well, because the best ones can be tuned and moderated to sound very much like pianos. And considering that their practitioners are really frustrated pianists, they must be banished along with their faux pianos.
Aw, c'mon Git ... cut the electronic keyboard some slack ... after all, most of them have a guitar button :D
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:00 am

gitgeezer wrote:
We should certainly ban electronic keyboards, and any other artificially-enhanced-sound producing apparatus. Including electric guitars.

The piano is the most perfect and glorious instrument in all history. The CG has its place as a portable version of the piano.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:53 am

"The piano is the most perfect and glorious instrument in all history. The CG has its place as a portable version of the piano." i hope Alicea is joking ? If she is not, maybe the CG needs to up its game from the point of view of composers , and for me this raises the question of the solo virtuoso. We love someone who can flash around an instrument at 100 miles an hour , and then remember "here comes the sensitive bit my teacher told me about"
Grown ups forget which instrument is being played and are transported by a transcendent sound.Remember hearing Air on a G string for the first time ,before analysis and prejudice comes to play?
Piano? guitar? ukelele? who cares , just make the vibes and make them good.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Contreras wrote:
Cloth Ears wrote:

All musical instruments are fabulous.
Bagpipes?

Oh, wait a minute ... you did say musical instruments didn't you ...
:lol:

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:15 pm

How can it be that the piano is the most perfect instrument. I have a piano in my home all my life and never get myself to sitting down and play the piano. In my view, the guitar is the most perfect musical instruments that is ever invented. Oh yes! the guitar is the coolest musical instrument ever invented, and the classical guitar is king.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Actually, the kazoo is the most perfect musical instrument. If you can hum a tune, you can play the kazoo. No training or practice necessary. But if you insist that the kazoo is not a musical instrument because the fingers are not involved, then the pennywhistle is the most perfect musical instrument. I support Obama's plan to provide free kazoos and pennywhistles to all who can't afford them.

Return to “The Café”