What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Alyamepi

Re: What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Post by Alyamepi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Easy Classical Guitar Recital by Benjamin Verdery. That should keep me busy for the coming years, because some pieces are still way out of my league. It's a good book thoug with a well varied collection of pieces for a good price.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 pm

"Puff the Magic Dragon," arranged by Peter Miklitz.

About a week ago, we rented a house in Hanalei, on the island of Kauai, for a week. My wife asked me, is that where Puff the Magic Dragon lived? I wasn't sure......hadn't heard the song in about a thousand years, and all I remembered about it was: I liked it....Peter, Paul & Mary sang it.... and people speculated it was about smoking dope. I googled it and brushed up on the 'story' of the song..so I could answer my wife's question....and decided I wanted to learn to play it. ....and no, it's not about the town of Hanalei after all. :(
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

jonny-mosco

Post by jonny-mosco » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:05 pm

'The Maria Linnemann Collection'; I know her music from the German publisher DUX, it is in the same vein as Kleynjans. I was privileged enough to meet her on Christmas Eve, she is inspirational. The music is not technically challenging, but full of beautiful melodies with very neat fingerings, I intend to use them with my students.

Jonny

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Andrew York, Woven Harmony.
I didn't actually buy it myself, but since I'd asked my daughter to get it for me as an Xmas present, it probably fits in this thread.
My favourite of the six pieces in this suite is the first, Squares Suspended.
Listening to Mr York playing this on YouTube invariably brings tears to my eyes.
It's a wonderful piece.

gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Bach Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D minor BWV 903. Rather long (for me), gets increasingly difficult.That said, i'm only 5 pages into it.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 am

Found a treasure today at Goodwill: The Songs Of Bob Dylan, From 1966 through 1975, Alfred Knoff/Cherry Lane 1994. It's the Eleventh Printing. Cost $2.49 but I got a vet discount and paid $1.98...it originally sold for $29.95 back in '94. The book looks like it sat on the shelf for many years and is in excellent condition. Has 121 songs with cord boxes, voice and piano. Taking down to office express and have them put on a spiral binding. It's the first music book I actually found at this type of store. Keep your eye out if you shop in the thrift stores...you never know.

Stay loose,
Guitralchemist
David :fume:
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Carey

Post by Carey » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Francesco da Milano: "Libro della Fortuna"- 1536, guitar transcriptions by Oscar Caceres. Published by d'Oz, and it's a really
nice, clear edition with some of my favorite Milano in it.

doug

Post by doug » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 pm

"Signs......Opus 16" by Per-Olov Kindgren. Six short pieces for the intermediate player.
They are titled:
Don't Walk on the Grass
Don't Feed the Animals
Keep Out
You Are Here
Keep Right
No Smoking
I haven't bought any sheet music in a few weeks, and I'm always looking for something new to play. About ninety percent of the sheet music I buy, gets played one or two times.......then get's "filed away." Once in a while, though, I get a piece that I really enjoy playing, and that one is a "keeper."
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Andrew York, Six Easy Pieces

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:24 pm

"Suite Breve" by Dusan Bogdanovic.
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:26 pm

gypsyjack wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm
Bach Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D minor BWV 903. Rather long (for me), gets increasingly difficult.That said, i'm only 5 pages into it.
Is it Philip Hii's version? As frightfully difficult as the fugue is, I think he's "simplified" it a bit! (Leaves out a fugue subject re-entry or two.)
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Haydn's Quartet in D based on String Quartet Op. 2 No. 2 (Hoboken III:8) edited by Karl Scheit from Doblinger. I bought this edition because it uses drop D tuning rather than Drop D and 3rd String to F# tuning like another edition that I previously purchased.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Ferenc Farkas' Exercitium Tonale, which was the inspiration for the studies in open D and open G tunings in all major and minor keys that I composed last year. I've listened to it a few times but had not managed to get the score for it until this week.

AaronJS

Post by AaronJS » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 am

I recently picked up Noad's The Romantic Guitar because I need to venture out of my Renaissance/Baroque comfort zone more! I've barely played anything from this era, so a couple of challenging pieces might help me become more well-rounded.
"Beauty addresses itself chiefly to sight; but there is a beauty for the hearing too, as in certain combinations of words and in all kinds of music..." -Plotinus

My guitar: Yamaha NCX1200R

Adrienus

Post by Adrienus » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Two different arr. of Schuberts "Winterreise" for guitar and tenor. Because both are completely different

Return to “The Café”