bookshop blurbs

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

bookshop blurbs

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:07 pm

As an avid reader I regularly visit the big bookshop in my nearest city, Waterstones. Now, if you've been in Waterstones you'll know that the staff regularly attach small laminated hand-written reviews (in their own words, in their own hand) on the shelf beside titles they've particularly enjoyed. The odd thing is that these staff reviews are very often littered with spelling mistakes and I now read them pretty much expecting to see one. Today's shocker was:

''This is one of the best books I've ever red...''

I mean come on guys, seriously.

Pete Meyers

Re: bookshop blurbs

Post by Pete Meyers » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:33 pm

This sort of thing, incorrect grammar, and word misuse have all become enormous pet-peeves of mine. I often feel like I'm on an island in the middle of America's culture of ignorance "ocean".

mc1

Post by mc1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:48 pm

j2lyk, btw, idk what the problem is? j/k.

i think the texting shortcuts and abbreviations, where often things are spelled phonetically, is changng language at a very rapid pace.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:56 pm

mc1 wrote:j2lyk, btw, idk what the problem is? j/k.

i think the texting shortcuts and abbreviations, where often things are spelled phonetically, is changng language at a very rapid pace.
I don't think it's phonetics, I think it's simply incorrect. How can anyone who has ever read an entire and complex novel not know that it's ''read'' and not red. Red, as I'm sure all of us are aware, is something else entirely...that's why there's another word for the colour: and that's precisely the problem. In other words, lack of precision leads to confusion...as if we don't have enough of that already.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:57 pm

:D

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:59 pm

What's going on with the submit button?

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:What's going on with the submit button?
:D

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:55 pm

They may be dyslexic.
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:07 pm

A few years ago I found this book in a Norwegian bookstore. The blurbs are the usual stuff...but the sticker... :)

2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

mc1

Post by mc1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:36 pm

perhaps you should bring along a red marker and correct the reviews. :wink:

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:49 pm

tormodg wrote:A few years ago I found this book in a Norwegian bookstore. The blurbs are the usual stuff...but the sticker... :)

Broadwalk Empire was indeed a staggering success.

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Pete Meyers wrote:This sort of thing, incorrect grammar, and word misuse have all become enormous pet-peeves of mine. I often feel like I'm on an island in the middle of America's culture of ignorance "ocean".
A global phenomenon in the English speaking world I think!
I had a music lecturer colleague who refused to mark work if it contained an apostrophe in the possessive 'its'!!
It would interesting to know whether this 'sloppiness' that so irritates us is also occurring with other languages.
Last edited by alfonso on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:53 am

I work in bookstores. It's quite possibly a typing error. People dash out these blurbs between dealing with customers, shelving, ordering books, etc.

But hey I find blurbs as a whole annoying. They're all the rage in the book industry though. Personally I can't imagine turning to a complete stranger and asking them what I should read next. But here again, there may be more involved. I've gotten into discussions about books with customers that go on for quite a while if it's not too busy. Bookstores can serve a real social purpose, with actual give and take in terms of taste, ideas, etc. And so a customer asking a bookstore employee for a recommendation can be an overture for a discussion; at least, it often turns into one.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:24 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote: ... I find blurbs as a whole annoying. They're all the rage in the book industry though. Personally I can't imagine turning to a complete stranger and asking them what I should read next. ...
Indeed, I have always been struck by the absurdity of this practice. Likewise with "amazon" (and similar) reviews: I have no idea who these people are, what they know, what sort of books (etc) they like, and so why should their assessment of a book (or a CD) matter one bit to me?

Mind you, if someone does not know how to spell "read" correctly, that may give me good reason to avoid their recommendations...

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:09 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote: It's quite possibly a typing error.
The blurbs in Waterstones are hand-written. These days I expect to see glaring spelling mistakes in these blurbs because of the extraordinarily high number of errors I've seen over the years. I say extraordinary because these are people working in a bookshop who are often asked their opinion regarding what to read.

I have absolutely nothing at all against the idea of the blurbs, in fact I'm very interested to discover what actual people think about a particular book. But come on Waterstones, spell basic words correctly.

Return to “The Café”