bookshop blurbs

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Lovemyguitar

Re: bookshop blurbs

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:21 pm

simonm wrote:...The homogenization of language/dialects and the elimination of smaller languages is one of the sad effects of mass education and the consumerization of entertainment.
Yes, quite. Those who ascribe to the basic tenets of the Linguistic Relativity hypothesis (whether they know the term or not) fear that there will be traditional concepts and ideas that will be lost (if they are not lost already) as the older generation, whose upbringing was not "global", die off, and the younger generations are unable to understand the world as their elders did.

Mind you, this is probably not new, because even long before globalization (going back forever, perhaps?), there were isolated cultures and communities that went extinct for whatever reason, and with them, certain concepts and ideas may well have been lost. Maybe that is just the natural evolution of humanity: some things are gained, some things are lost. The unknown is whether or not what has been lost will ever again be found, or if anyone could ever truly know, because if someone stumbles upon a "new" concept, who is to know if it was a concept that was held and understood by a past civilization?

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 pm

aokoye wrote:So I take it you've never miswritten anything that you've written by hand? The blurb was likely written rather quickly and just because someone may have made the hand written equivalent of a typo doesn't mean that they can't read.
Two things. These hand-written blurbs are liberally sprinkled with misspellings and have been so since first appearing some years ago, I now expect to see a spelling mistake when I read them. Secondly, spelling red instead of read takes some doing, especially by hand.

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:26 am

Denian Arcoleo wrote:....Secondly, spelling red instead of read takes some doing, especially by hand.
I agree. Mistaking red for read is pretty unusual I would think and particularly ironic given the setting of, you know, an English bookstore. :lol: It's not like you can blame autocorrect either.
James

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:01 am

Denian Arcoleo wrote: Two things. These hand-written blurbs are liberally sprinkled with misspellings and have been so since first appearing some years ago, I now expect to see a spelling mistake when I read them. Secondly, spelling red instead of read takes some doing, especially by hand.
As I mentioned already, the person may well be dyslexic. Many people with dyslexia are voracious readers but have trouble spelling even the simplest words when it comes to writing them down. Perhaps nobody has the heart to correct their spelling or point out that a dyslexic person shouldn't be writing "blurbs" in the first place.

Of course, maybe the writer isn't dyslexic and it really is the fault of the education system/parents/society in general...either way a bit of tolerance goes a long way :D
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

dory

Post by dory » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:46 pm

I am, like Denian, saddened by so much what I would see as illiterate writing. In fact, I tend to make jokes about myself and refer to myself as things like the "grammar, spelling and punctuation lunatic." However, in the very specific case of writing "red" for "read," this is a mistake I can see myself making, although I would catch it on even the most cursory proofreading. For some reason I occasionally find myself writing the wrong homonym. I usually see it right away and correct it.i would blame the failure to proofread-- perhaps due to too much texting.
Dory

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:59 pm

dory wrote:I usually see it right away and correct it.i would blame the failure to proofread-- perhaps due to too much texting.
Therein lieth the proofeth of yon puddingeth
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:12 pm

2shA
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

aokoye

Post by aokoye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:43 am

I do have to say - I'm somewhat surprised that these blurbs even get read by people with any regularity. My bookstore of choice (Powells), has had them for some time and, while I occasionally read them, I don't come close to reading most of the ones that I glance at when browsing for books.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:13 pm

aokoye wrote:I do have to say - I'm somewhat surprised that these blurbs even get read by people with any regularity. My bookstore of choice (Powells), has had them for some time and, while I occasionally read them, I don't come close to reading most of the ones that I glance at when browsing for books.
As I said earlier, personally I'm very interested to hear the views of real people (as opposed to professional critics) I'm just dismayed at the levels of literacy displayed by the people who work in the bookshop. Maybe it's different in your bookshop, hope so.

Guero

Post by Guero » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 pm

martinardo wrote:2shA
This is a nice one!

Guero

Post by Guero » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:53 pm

mr2

60moo

Post by 60moo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:''This is one of the best books I've ever red...
...it blue me away."

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
''This is one of the best books I've ever red...
...it blue me away."
:lol:

"Beeing an ammeter riter, I was grin with envi . . . "

:roll:
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17 pm

60moo wrote:
Denian Arcoleo wrote:''This is one of the best books I've ever red...
...it blue me away."
:lol:
James

martadella

Post by martadella » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:02 am

As a non-native English speaker I had lots of fun observing this interesting discussion... :lol:

Return to “The Café”