Why are Placebos Becoming More Effective?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Polifemo de Oro

Re: Why are Placebos Becoming More Effective?

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:44 pm

My doctor said that Cabernet Sauvignon was right for me. We, jointly, decided to skip the placebos.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:My doctor said that Cabernet Sauvignon was right for me. We, jointly, decided to skip the placebos.
So, you have a drinking problem, there's a pill for that. However, if you switch to Chianti or a Barbera d'Asti, you'll be o.k..
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:42 pm

bear wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote:My doctor said that Cabernet Sauvignon was right for me. We, jointly, decided to skip the placebos.
So, you have a drinking problem, there's a pill for that. However, if you switch to Chianti or a Barbera d'Asti, you'll be o.k..
Oh, I was on those and I had severe reactions due to the side effects so my doctor decided to take me off of them (I have in the past responded very well to Barolo, however; but my people are from the Piemonte. Is this to be considered a placebo effect, I wonder?).

I have total faith in my doctor, by the way. I met him in a bar.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:48 pm

I take a placebo for my hypochondria. Works great.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:As Simon says, the BBC article is based on a critique of 80 trials of painkillers.

Doctors may be exaggerating the ills of patients to make them eligible to be recruited to trials..
Alternatively, it's to do with the problem that pain is the easiest thing to con your doctor and employer (and yourself?) with.
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:57 pm

[oops, not the first time I accidentally hit quote instead of edit!]
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:26 pm

I haven't read this whole thread but the fact that it's more pronounced in America is hardly a surprise. It's fairly common knowledge that Americans have been the biggest pill-poppers in the world for at least half a century. They believe in the power of pills.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:I haven't read this whole thread but the fact that it's more pronounced in America is hardly a surprise. It's fairly common knowledge that Americans have been the biggest pill-poppers in the world for at least half a century. They believe in the power of pills.
Amen to that, brother. Our Big Pharma racket eclipsed the liquor business in this country decades ago. Even the Mexican drug lords are envious at their success!

Return to “The Café”