Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Aquila Alabastro any fans?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 am
Ciao Scott,
The information is in our websiste (that we are gouing to change): same of Alabastro superior set. When I designed the set I had in haim to have an high tension just to meet the habit of those that uses fluorocarbon strinngs, whose tensions are indeed very high :)
Take care
Mimmo

ps: magnifico and rubino are very similar.
Thanks Mimmo,
I couldn’t find the tension data on your site. But as you say they are similar to the magnificent are you saying the normal tension would be similar, or the Hard tension Rubinho? I can go by what the Martin dealer has in his dealer info? To get an idea? I have two different guitars I want to try the Rubino on. One is my wife’s 3/4 guitar, and the other is my daughter’s Ramirez 2E. I just wanted to make sure that the tension wasn’t too high on the normal tension set for the Ramirez, and use the high tension (the higher the better) on the 3/4 Yamaha. Thanks,

Scott

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm
Mimmo2us wrote:
Ciao Scott,
The information is in our websiste (that we are gouing to change): same of Alabastro superior set. When I designed the set I had in haim to have an high tension just to meet the habit of those that uses fluorocarbon strinngs, whose tensions are indeed very high :)
Take care
Mimmo

Thanks Mimmo,
I couldn’t find the tension data on your site. But as you say they are similar to the magnificent are you saying the normal tension would be similar, or the Hard tension Rubinho? I can go by what the Martin dealer has in his dealer info? To get an idea? I have two different guitars I want to try the Rubino on. One is my wife’s 3/4 guitar, and the other is my daughter’s Ramirez 2E. I just wanted to make sure that the tension wasn’t too high on the normal tension set for the Ramirez, and use the high tension (the higher the better) on the 3/4 Yamaha. Thanks,

Scott
I just read on their site where the Rubino's are similar in tension to the Alabastro Superior.

That's almost 108 lbs :shock:
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 pm

ameriken wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 pm
Mimmo2us wrote:
Ciao Scott,
Take care
Mimmo

Thanks Mimmo,

Scott
I just read on their site where the Rubino's are similar in tension to the Alabastro Superior.

That's almost 108 lbs :shock:
Wow Ken, that is a lot. I won’t be putting them on my daughter’s Ramirez. But they should work well for my wife’s 3/4 guitar. The Magnifico strings that are on it now have come alive after a couple of weeks on the guitar. They were rather dull sounding for about a week, and seemed to take a long time to settle in. But all is ok now. The trebles are an ugly gray color.

It seems that both the Martin Magnifico and Aquila Rubino are the same price, $10.99 for a set. If the local Martin dealer sells them at the same price, I will buy the Martin strings from the local mom and pop, just to support their business. But I am curious to see the red color strings from Aquila. The Martin dealer info that my friend’s shop says that the Magnifico are on the order of 104lbs, so not a huge difference, as 104lbs is still a lot.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:06 am

Hi,
the tension it is not too much. The very high tensions are on all the fluorocarbon sets.
For example the fluorocarbon 1st of a French brand is around 10.5 Kg while on Rubino/Alabastro superior is 9.0 Kg. A normal tension set is around 8,0 Kg how you can see in the graphic. In this grapich you can see the real tensions I taken time ago just to give a look on other brands

Ciao
Mimmo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 am

Mimmo,
I very much appreciate your valuable efforts in string development, your profound knowledge and willingness to openly share your expertise. But there seems to be a discrepancy between your‘s and other brand‘s tension figures.

The said French e1 string in hard tension is listed with app. 8.5 kg whereas you state app. 10.5 kg. On the other side the tension figures of your strings compared to all other brands seem really, really high, though they are not so in reality. So it looks like that there might be a difference in how you measure tension and the other question is, how do your figures compare to other brands?
Cheers es335

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Ciao es 335,
but....how you can realize which are the brands on this graphic? I given no further indications. The upper line reffers to the Alliance high tension set
Please note: these are datas I have taken ore real sets thtaa I have bought, not from what it is written on the envelopes :)
Mimmo

ps. the attachment: this is my table with datas I have taken from some bought sets. At the time I was a chemist; I worked in a laboratory so I taken the measures with the acuracity necessary to my job
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Many thanks Mimmo, that’s very informative. I’m by no means a clairvoyant and referred just to Alliance HT which you mentioned implicitely in your previous post! :wink:

May I ask if the tensions were calculated on the basis of density measurements, which would be an elementary task in chemical laboratories or did you use a physical measuring apparatus?

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

By string formula having the real density of each material
For example PVDF (so called carbon) has 1.78; the nylon for music is 1.04 (fishing line nylon 1.14 but it is not the musical nylon); the cristal nylon 1.02; nylgut polyester 1.30. I never use a physical aparatus because it intruduce some mistaken. When you are in a chemical laboratory you can taken gauge measure by laser or micrometer and you have a very accurate balance to take the weight. :)

In any case OBSERVE what happen between the light, normal and heavy tensions: is'nt strange? This is the effect of the globalization on the raw plastic monofilament production. I have no time to develop this point but it is crucial.
So you are never sure, when you buy a set, if it is a real normal, real heavy, real light tension as written on the envelope.
Oncemore what it is written is not, normally, the gauges you really find in the envelope. The problem is in the extruder plants has their own thecnological limit. In short the string brand buy what the plastic monofilament producer sell them having their own string lists and gauges. So the brands are 'a sort of....victims'. They cannot ask for different gauges. There is a solution however...next time.
mimmo
Last edited by Mimmo2us on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Mimmo, thanks again because it confirms my long time observations and particularly my consecutive diameter measurements. D‘Addario is the main exception though not error-free. But it was interesting to see that with the redesign of the packages, the formulation concerning their precision changed from „precision laser controlled“ to „precision laser selected“! Subtle at the first glance but it supports what you said, the brands get what they get, just some select more thoroughly than others. :wink:

I’m very excited to hear about the solution ... next time! :wink: :D

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am

ameriken wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm
Though I haven't tried the Alabastros yet, add me to the Aquila fan club. I've got the Rubinos on my recently purchased Burguet, and Alabastros (along with a couple other Aquilas) are on my list to try. Well, at least after I try the Zaffiro's I have first.

I love these nylgut basses and bright trebles. The basses lack what I call a 'metallic' sound. They are warm and blend so well with the trebles.

After I try the Zaffiro's, I going to get the Alabastros, Cristallos, and Perlas and hopefully find my favorite.

Add me to the Aquila fan club.

Let us know what you think of the Zaffiro's as compared to the Rubinos. The Zaffiro's are one of my favorite strings and come paired with the nylgut basses. I have never tried the Rubinos, but they sound very interesting, and I plan on ordering them.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 am

Zaffiro is a special Nylon 100% from vegetals. Despite it is a nylon the sound is fluorocarbon- like. I have still not understand why this happen (it should have the nylon sound like the other nylons...). Rubino is a very bright string, more than the fluorocarbon ones. You can hate or love it because we are close to a limit for the classical guitar typical sound. Flamenco players likes it a lot due to the very fast attack e brilliant performance
mimmo
Last edited by Mimmo2us on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am
ameriken wrote:
Though I haven't tried the Alabastros yet, add me to the Aquila fan club. I've got the Rubinos on my recently purchased Burguet, and Alabastros (along with a couple other Aquilas) are on my list to try. Well, at least after I try the Zaffiro's I have first.

I love these nylgut basses and bright trebles. The basses lack what I call a 'metallic' sound. They are warm and blend so well with the trebles.

After I try the Zaffiro's, I going to get the Alabastros, Cristallos, and Perlas and hopefully find my favorite.

Let us know what you think of the Zaffiro's as compared to the Rubinos. The Zaffiro's are one of my favorite strings and come paired with the nylgut basses. I have never tried the Rubinos, but they sound very interesting, and I plan on ordering them.
I liked them both, both are bright but in a different way. And though they seem like they are both higher tension, I found them pretty easy to play. The only problem I had with the Zaffiro's was intonation on more than just the g string but I intend to try again in the future.

I'm on the Cristallo's now, just put them on yesterday. Another great string, more of a nylon sound and a softer, lighter tension feel. After these will be the Alabastros.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm

ameriken wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm
Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am
ameriken wrote:

I liked them both, both are bright but in a different way. And though they seem like they are both higher tension, I found them pretty easy to play. The only problem I had with the Zaffiro's was intonation on more than just the g string but I intend to try again in the future.

I'm on the Cristallo's now, just put them on yesterday. Another great string, more of a nylon sound and a softer, lighter tension feel. After these will be the Alabastros.
Yes, the Zaffiro's do seem to have an intonation issue, not real bad but noticeable. Mimmo said that the Rubinos are brighter than the Zaffiro, do you agree? I have played the Cristallo's too, and they are made nylon and have a more traditional sound, but still very good.
1985 Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm
Yes, the Zaffiro's do seem to have an intonation issue, not real bad but noticeable. Mimmo said that the Rubinos are brighter than the Zaffiro, do you agree? I have played the Cristallo's too, and they are made nylon and have a more traditional sound, but still very good.
I thought the Rubino's were an outstanding string, definitely brighter than Zaffiro, but not carbon like. A well balanced string. I thought they were easy to play too despite their high tension. The Zaffiro's were bright but in more of a rounder way. Definitely two different sounds, I really like both. And I love the nygut basses too which match very well with the trebles.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm

ameriken wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:33 pm
Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm
I thought the Rubino's were an outstanding string, definitely brighter than Zaffiro, but not carbon like. A well balanced string. I thought they were easy to play too despite their high tension. The Zaffiro's were bright but in more of a rounder way. Definitely two different sounds, I really like both. And I love the nygut basses too which match very well with the trebles.
The Alabastro's are probably my least favorite of the Aquila strings that I have tried so far. On several of my guitars they seem to have a dull like sound on the high e string. I do think the Zaffiro's have a somewhat bright sound, but totally different than carbon. I think only carbon sounds like carbon. I will order the Rubino's soon, I do like a bright sound, thanks,

Leo
1985 Takamine C-132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”