Aquila Rubino

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
dilettante1000

Re: Aquila Rubino

Post by dilettante1000 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Nice to see you back, Mimmo.
I've just had you deliver me 4 more sets of alabastro, but another poster suggested I try Zaffiro.
What I like about the alabastro is the positive touch, clear fundamentals, overall balance, volume, reliability and bright tone. Would you recommend the Zaffiro as a possible improvement, or only as different, in which case, in what way different?
Thanks.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 am

I recently ordered Zaffiro’s and Rubino’s from Strings by Mail and was aware of the Rubino breakage issue from this thread and that it was hopefully fixed. I decided to put on the Rubino’s tonite but as I was winding down the old treble e, the new Rubino g popped on the tie side of the bridge. Had enough string left to retie it. There’s an Aquila installation video on YouTube that requires pulling/stretching the string over the 12th fret, which I did on all strings.

SBM does warn that these are a delicate set which is what led me to find that video and wind them up and stretch them carefully.

Anyhow I tuned the strings down a half step for the night, I’ll see what’s left in the morning. Really excited to try several of the Aquila’s but this was not a pleasant introduction.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 am

Is it a nd old batch ameriken?
There is a white label with the data.
please mail me at aquila@aquilacorde.com
I have a couple of thirds for you man.
Mimmo

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Thank you Mimmo, sent you an email. 6/2017. I had enough string left to put the G string back on and wind it up. I don't know if this will create any intonation problems or not.

Before you send anything, let me see how this goes and make sure nothing else breaks, and make sure I don't have any intonation problems with the broken G string.

I've read good things about your strings, so I am excited to try a few sets. I will let you know my results with the Rubino's.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm

No more breakages overnite. I've tuned them up to pitch and have been playing on them for a while.

Assuming there are no further breakages, then wow, I really love these!

I'm terrible with descriptions but the two words that keep coming to mind are 'clean and easy'.

While the Rubino's are considered 'normal' tension, they initially feel stiff as if they are high tension, however they are far easier to play than the Savarez HT cantiga/cristals I had on as well as the D'addario TT's normals I had prior to those. By easier I mean some of the techniques I was struggling to improve such as certain barre chords or right hand harmonics are actually no problem now (I'm learning Un Dia de Noviembre so you'll know what I'm talking about). Overall fretting and finger placement is easier with less buzzing and squeaking. They feel like one of the nicest sets of strings I've ever laid my hands on (pun intended). My playing and the sound is far 'cleaner'.

Intonation is great and the G string is not tubby. Very balanced tone and note separation across the strings with bright yet sweet trebles. Bright in a nylon way, not a carbon way.

Maybe I'm saying this prematurely, but (assuming no other breakage) so far I think these will be my favorite strings.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 am

Then G string, since June 2017, was done with less metal powder (hust a bit) so they are noww smoother and stronger. your set is just a bit before that time. However thank you for the report.
Mimmo

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Update: strings are holding up well and still sound amazing! Definitely #1 of everything I've tried so far.

Zaffiro's are going on next as I still want to experiment with some of the other Aquila's. But I think the Rubino's are going to be hard to beat.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:23 pm

What is the difference between the Granato and Rubino basses? I am trying to determine where to start. I am coming from having tried the Martin Magnifico strings, made by Aquila, that I got as a free sample from my Martin dealer.

Mimmo said that the Rubino are very similar to the Magnifico, and also stated earlier in this thread that the trebles were the same for the Granato and Rubino sets. How do these basses sound and feel compared to say Savarez Cantiga or Ramirez basses? Is one lower in tension than the other?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:38 am

ameriken wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 pm
Update: strings are holding up well and still sound amazing! Definitely #1 of everything I've tried so far.

Zaffiro's are going on next as I still want to experiment with some of the other Aquila's. But I think the Rubino's are going to be hard to beat.
How are the basses? And can you tell me how they compare to the Granato basses. I’m thinking about just ordering treble sets, but wonder if there is anything special about the basses.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:28 am

Hey Ken, I just wound up ordering treble sets of the Granato trebles from Strings and Beyond. Mimmo says they are the same trebles as the Rubino, but they were $2.99 a set and I ordered 3. I’ll let you make some recommendations about basses since you know more about them than I do. I will try them with Cantiga normals though.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm

I've only tried the one set of Rubino's so far, I used the basses that came with them which I liked. But if I were going to use another set of basses, I'd probably go with the Cantiga's as well.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed May 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Just put on another set of Rubino's and these are definitely very nice strings. No breakage, batch is from 08/2017 through Strings by Mail.

Very bright, crisp, clean and clear sound, as well as loud. Despite their high tension I like how easy they are to play. Barring chords is far easier, and I have less contact with my LH fingernails buzzing on adjacent strings, which is more of an issue for me on thicker strings.

If you want bright but don't want carbon, these are your strings. I don't think these are for everyone, I think you're either gonna love em or hate em. But most definitely worth a try, especially if you want to brighten a darker guitar.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 am
Is it a nd old batch ameriken?
There is a white label with the data.
please mail me at aquila@aquilacorde.com
I have a couple of thirds for you man.
Mimmo
Hi Mimmo, is there anyway to tell if I got an old set of Granato trebles. I got them from Strings and Beyond, but don't know if they are old stock.

Thanks,
Scott

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm

ameriken wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:38 pm
Just put on another set of Rubino's and these are definitely very nice strings. No breakage, batch is from 08/2017 through Strings by Mail.

Very bright, crisp, clean and clear sound, as well as loud. Despite their high tension I like how easy they are to play. Barring chords is far easier, and I have less contact with my LH fingernails buzzing on adjacent strings, which is more of an issue for me on thicker strings.

If you want bright but don't want carbon, these are your strings. I don't think these are for everyone, I think you're either gonna love em or hate em. But most definitely worth a try, especially if you want to brighten a darker guitar.
Yes, they are nice strings. I use them on two guitars that need help with brightness. I may not try them on my new Darren Hippner guitar, because it does not need any help with brightness or volume on the treble strings. This is my first luthier made guitar, it is very well balanced between base and treble and has a very clear and direct sound. It may be a combination of the maker, the wood used and the bracing. The wood used is spruce top, birdseye maple back and sides, with Friederich style bracing.

Amerikin is your Burguet well balanced?
Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Leo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Amerikin is your Burguet well balanced?
Very well balanced, when I took it out of the box it sounded almost exactly how I thought it should for a spruce top. Nice balance across all the strings, with good note separation and excellent volume. Bright guitar that responds very nicely with the Rubino's.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”